Spatlese - 51%
Kabinett - 19%
Auslese - 29%
BA - 1%

Auslese - 81%
GG - 13%
Kabinett - 2%
TBA - 4%
Not a lot of variety, but i love what i love, and stick with it.

By producer:

Keller
Schäfer Fröhlich
Donnhoff
Georg Breuer
Willi Schaefer
Markus Molitor
Julian Haart

I have few old bottles of JJ Prum lying around.

I’m at about 22% Spatlese, just over 4% each of Kabinett and Auslese, and all the rest trocken or very close to it, most of which (59% of the total) is GG. I should have a bit more Kabinett. I thought until fairly recently that I preferred them young. Now I plan to buy a bit more so I can age them. Other than that, this breakdown is probably about right for my drinking habits and preferences. Drinking habits alone would have an even higher percentage of trocken, but I think top Spatlese benefits from more cellar time, for my tastes.

U stresses this because some people also in this thread seem to forget that the ripeness levels not necessarily indicates non dry wines.
I have Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese Trocken from Hofgut Falkenstein, Von Schubert, Karthauserhof, Bishofliches Priesterseminar and some mire

well, lots of ways to break this down - first sort of german wine is by grape variety as I do own german wine not made of riesling (not much though and mostly Muller-Catoir).

Kabinett - 19%
Spatlese - 41%
Auslese - 32.5% (about 41% of this in half bottle and a few in 500 ml; also 43% of auslesen are gka)
Eiswein - 6 half bottles
Beerenauslese - 5 half bottles

Auction bottlings - 10% (mostly auslesen but some spatlesen and kabinett)

Dry bottlings - 7 bottles! For the math geeks, that is less than 1%!

Many of my auslesen are botrytis-dessert level wines (e.g., Muller-Catoir).

oh, and there’s some “named” Selbach Oster mixed into the stash that aren’t in any of the above categories

Respectfully, Claus – no one has forgotten that fact. It’s just that it’s overly complicated and not so useful for this particular, pretty simple discussion. Several people have even made reference to how complicated the designations could be, and how we’ve chosen to simplify.

While the designations and terms we are using may be linguistically a little sloppy, they are the most common usage, at least here in the US, easily applicable to cellar tracker, and, most importantly, everyone seems to understand how to respond to the question using those terms in an effective way.

[wink.gif]

Thanks for this Sarah. Sorry for the typo.

Certainly in my breakdown above, where I used “trocken” as its own category, a wine labled “spätlese trocken” (which I think is true of all of the few trocken wines I have) was counted as “trocken” and not as “spätlese.” I only counted traditional VDP off-dry wines in the kabinett, spätlese, and auslese categories.

GG - 6%
Kabinett - 28%
Spatlese - 26%
Auslese - 32%
Eiswein/BA - 8%

Top producer by far is JJ Prum at 40%.
No one else is over 10%.

Nooice! Pradikats and old school trocken! I didn’t check mine yet, but I guess(hope) it would be like yours.

Is there an easy way to make CT show this breakdown?

No, but there’s a discussion earlier in the thread on how people went about it.

Me too, there’s nothing quite like a good homemade curry.

I notice there are many fellow sweet tooth afficionados out there - count me in as well, please. I love the dry Rieslings (many of which I consider some of the best wines on Planet Earth) as well but the fruity Rieslings with residual sugar always have a special place in my heart. Not only because they are so utterly delicious but because of the mind-boggling diversity of food pairing.

First of all, just as they are. When the sweetness is balanced with tension and acidity, there are few other drinking experiences I enjoy more. And then the food pairing, with raw food like sushi and sashimi (even the ultra-traditional Japanese admit that in addition to a dry Japaneese beer or a sake, they very much enjoy raw fish paired with a fruity Riesling with some sweetness), different kind of seafood (my personal favourite is slightly spicy prawns with a fresh, light Riesling Auslese), spicy Asian wok dishes and then just a simple thing like a charcuterie- or cheese platter. Together, it shows the versatility of Riesling and hence the reason I’m so hooked on this lovely grape. Count me in among the people who have more sweeter wines (Kabinett-Spätlese-Auslese) than dry Rieslings.

And then, speaking of prices, I happen to believe that Riesling Kabinett from the various parts of Germany are one of the world’s greatest wine bargains. Despite being from Grand Cru vineyards, nurtured and harvested by hand, and grown in ultra-steep slate vineyards, they can often be had for a song. When people are bitching over increased prices of other wines, grab yourself a Riesling Kabinett and you can enjoy drinking a world-class wine with what most people here would consider pocket money. In my humble opinion, of course…

Absolutely Mirank, though I’m not such a big fan of the many possible food pairings you mention - I should probably be more adventurious but find I prefer to revel in the sheer purity and magnificence of the Riesling grape when it sings its etherial song!

Rich,

Just a simple, pure glass of Riesling is never wrong. :slight_smile:

But also fun to notice, that when you travel the wine country, you often find that the locals pair their wines with whatever cuisine available. Like when in Germany, Riesling seems to be served - and enjoyed - with any kind of food, just as when travelling in Champagnhe, they will of course tell you that champagne goes well with everything. And often it really does. I’ve been on both sides of osso buco, eating it in Germany, where a dry Riesling was the absolutely perfect choice for that lovely dish. While eating the same magic in Langhe, where a Barolo elevated it to another level. It’s not such a “bad” hobby we all share here, when you think about it. :slight_smile:

Kab: 28%
Spat: 26%
Aus: 41%
TBA/Eiswein: 3%

This breakdown is skewed towards Auslese because I age them the longest. I love the sweet ones, but strongly prefer them with age. Of course, I age the Spatlese and Kabinett wines as well, but for less time (vintage and producer variations not withstanding).

GG- 4%
Kab- 5%
Spat- 44%
Aus- 40%
Sweet- 4%
Sparkling- 3%

VM

Interesting question. I’m on around:

Dry: 0%
Kabinett: 15%
Spatlese: 10%
Auslese: 45%
BA: 20%
Eiswein: 5%
TBA: 5%

Looks like I have a lot more BA than I though, probably down to having bought a bunch of cases from the ‘70s at auction. Still some very good deals out there.