Your German riesling breakdown

What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.

I literally just filtered my collection to just the riesling varietal and used an Excel spreadsheet to figure it out.

There’s not an easy way to get it exactly right, which is why I posted mine with the caveat that there might be double counting or other issues. I did individual searches for Grosses, Kabinett, Spatlese, etc. The results give you the number of bottles, and I divided each by the total Riesling in the cellar.

Yeah, you do ‘riesling’ and then ‘type’ - and it will sort it by ‘white’, ‘off-dry’ and ‘sweet’ but its not really accurate enough for this. I also just searched by ‘kabinett’, ‘spat’ etc and it told me number of each.

FWIW, I just opened a Selbach-Oster Spatlese to have with my Indian Dal dinner.

Dry 10%
Kabinett 12%
Spatlese 21%
Auslese 38%
BA 10%
TBA 6%

In retrospect, early on, I wish I had bought a little less auslese and more kabinett and spatlese. I’d keep by BA and TBA purchases though.

This is the break-down of my German Riesling. I have never intentionally aged Kabinett wines, to me they’re so delicious I tend to drink them within 30-90 days of purchase, so they fall in the realm of wines I buy and do not put in CT. However, I tend to drink GG’s across several years so they represent the majority of my holdings.

By pradikat:
Großes Gewächs : 80%
Trocken: 10%
Auslese: 8%
Spätlese: 2%

By Region:
Rheinhessen (65%)
Mosel Saar Ruwer(17%)
Nahe (10)
Rheingau (6%)
Pfalz (2%)

By Producer:
Weingut Keller (54%)
Wittmann (13%)
Dönnhoff (11%)
Joh. Jos. Prüm (10%)
Carl Loewen (4%)
Georg Breuer (3%)
Markus Molitor (2%)
Weingut Robert Weil (2%)
Dr. Bürklin-Wolf (1%)

Hahaha, Dal and a middle-aged Spatlese are an elite summer pairing :wink:. Delicious. I had a lovely little diner, but I’m still Jel.

Indian is one my favorite cuisines, and a perfect reason to open some pradikatswein :smiley:

Do you cook it at home or do takeout?

I cook it at home. I have learned a reasonable number of recipes well enough that I don’t need to do takeout.

Excluding those on order but not yet delivered:

Kabinett 45%
Spätlese 37%
Auslese 9%
BA 4%
TBA none
Eiswein 1%

Feinherb 1%
Trocken 3%
GG none

Which wines/producers? I have a few Spatlese Trockens and have tasted some Auslese trockens, but none that I’d consider bone dry- even with intense acids there’s some sense of RS.

As to original question, my CT seems to be about
28% Kab
29% Spatlese
22% Auslese
3 % Ba/TBA
7% GG
10% other
I drink more Kab or base level Trocken than anything else, but they go fast, and some are never enterned in CT. The Auslese mostly just sit there,

Top 13 producers of Spatlesen based on bottles owned by CellarTracker users, in descending order:

Dönnhoff 20.2% Bottles (34,809)
Joh. Jos. Prüm 16.9% Bottles (29,134)
Fritz Haag 3.2% Bottles (5,563)
Selbach-Oster 2.8% Bottles (4,768)
Egon Müller 2.7% Bottles (4,720)
Willi Schaefer 2.6% Bottles (4,434)
Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) 2.5% Bottles (4,332)
Dr. Loosen 2.4% Bottles (4,198)
Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben 2.1% Bottles (3,673)
Von Schubert 2.1% Bottles (3,646)
Schloss Lieser 2.0% Bottles (3,456)
Weingut Robert Weil 1.8% Bottles (3,148)
Schäfer-Fröhlich 1.8% Bottles (3,139)

This is based on Designation of “Spatlese”. It does not accurately reflect all Spatlesen because CT users’ data entry habits are not uniform. Nevertheless, even accounting for some +/- deviation in actual number the gap between Donnhoff/JJ Prum and everyone else is significant. My opinion: this is due to distribution, marketing and quality with “consistent” qualifier applying to all 3 of these terms. Everyone else - you get 1 or 2 out of 3. For example, Schaefer - fantastic quality but not consistent, crappy distribution and non-existent marketing, at least in US.

Ok, it’s messy since for example a search for Auslese will include BA. And it doesn’t account for bottle sizes.

Kabinett - 32% and increasing
Spatlese - 34%
Auslese + - 26% (of which GK - 14%, BA - 3%, TBA - 0.5%)
GG - 8%

Producers

Prum - 20%
Schaefer 16%
Fritz Haag - 13%
Julian Haart - 12%
Grunhaus - 12%
Keller - 8%
Lieser - 8%
Muller - 6%
Falkenstein - 5%
Lauer - 3%
Zilliken -3%
Anything else <1%

Auctions wines - 20%

I put in German to get my denominator, and they German Kabinett, German Spatlese, etc., etc., to get my numerators. When I put in trocken for trockenbeerenauslese, I was surprised to find that I have one trocken wine.

If I did Riesling, I would have gotten wines from Alsace, etc., so I did German. Thus, my numbers include a few bottles of Rieslaner and Scheurebe.

Yes the challenge is Auslese as it blends Auslese, GK, BA and TBA, but also things like Kabinett Trocken come up as Kabinett (but thats less of an issue!)

Yes, after going Cellar by Region->Germany->Variety->Riesling for the denominator, I had to manually edit the auslese category, but I have so few of the BA and TBA wines that it was easy to eyeball.

By producer:
Keller - 33.2%
Emrich-Schonleber - 13.3%
Ratzenberger - 8.6%
Battenfeld-Spanier - 7.4%
Schafer-Frohlich - 5.2%

Then JJ Prum, Julian Haart, Laible and Willi Schaefer all right around 3%
Overall about 40 producers, but all the rest are 1% or below.

Interesting. When I put it Auslese, I did get GKA, but not BA or TBA.

Quite right!