Your First Half of 2021’s Greatest QPR...

Agree with everything you wrote. I was responding to the OP about best QPR. Most of the wines I drink are older (and priced considerably more than the Kirkland Barolo), but I saw them at my Costco and figured it was worth trying. I was pleasantly surprised and went back and bought more. A simple, easy-drinking, inexpensive wine that I enjoyed for what it is and IMO represented value.

1 Like

2015 Knebel Winninger Hamm Riesling. My QPR winner because this was discounted down to $15 at Wine Cellarage, where I know it’s been properly stored. There are still 20 left if anyone wants them. Pretty atypical Mosel Riesling IMHO, even for a trocken.

I’ll play!

Des Croix Beaune 2015: this past week in Lyon for 38€. I have some 1ers and a couple GCs from him based on Jon Bonnes recommendations a few years back but have yet to drink one. This trip was full of good wines of medium distinction that over performed, but this was a real standout for me in its pleasure and purity!

Sandlands Carignane 2015: in Cali at Ben’s, this wine showed absolutely beautifully with plenty of substance and class amongst quite a few very good wines. For $28, I’ve consistently called this the best value in Cali wines.

If closeouts count, then Carden 2010 and 2013 Willamette Valley PN is the easy winner at $5.69.

Depending on what you have access to and preference of course, but hard to go wrong with most of his wines. I have mainly been focused on riesling and regardless if you like dry or sweeter wines, only positive experience with Alfer Hölle, Palmberg and Himmelreich. Domwein (trocken) and weihwasser feinherb are also very nice. The Alfer Hölle 1900 is something special.

There is a textural complexity in the wines that I love, and while drinking well youth I’m confident they with time will develop further complexity.

I also like the rose and the pinot wines. Haven’t tried the cab merlot blend.

No question that this would be on my list for this year.

Also,

2010 Domaine Dublère Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Planchots du Nord. Paid $19 for this in 2014 and drank it last night. Just a tremendously elegant wine that was a joy to drink.
2006 Château Pradeaux
2017 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge
2010 Cecile Tremblay Bourgogne La Croix Blanche
2015 Colline del Sole Taurasi Taurasi
2017 Borgo Salcetino Chianti Classico

white: 2019 Donnhoff Reisling
red: 2017 Borgo Scopeto Chianti Classico
rose: 2020 Wolffer Estate Rose (Long Island, NY)

Berserker day sub $20 for Franny Beck mixed cases.

1 Like

2010 Château Paillas Cahors, £12 a bottle. A deep rich tobacco flavoured red that is loosening up, but hugs your tongue like a long lost friend. I have bought every bottle the shop had and keep popping back in case they restock.

This is always interesting to think about, and I like seeing other people’s responses. For me, in no particular order:

2012 Pierre Peters L’Esprit, for whatever I paid, was really excellent.

I’ll second the Patricia Green library wines, just in general.

2019 Von Schubert Abtsberg Kabinett – wow, what a wine! I’m excited to try it in 12-15 years.

My first thought also. 2015 Sandler Pinot Bien Nacido and 2015 Sandler Cabernet Lazare Napa also were excellent value for the first half of my year.

1 Like

Mine have been 2016 Beaucastel Coudoulet ($25) and 2012 Treasure Cellars Walla Walla cab ($10 in a KL mystery box)

Red: pretty much anything from Vallana

White: pretty much anything from Raul Pérez

1H21 QPR champ the same as my 2020 QPR champ: 2016 Beringer Winery Exclusive Cabernet. Sale price of $35, many times over the last year or so and free shipping. Flat out delicious cab for that price.

im a pretty big Barolo fan and I was far from excited about the Kirkland version. for a sub-$20 Barolo it was much more drinkable than everything else in that class that ive tried though. is it Rinaldi, Giacosa, or even poderi colla? nope. but its also much less expensive.

Using a formula from here The Wellesley Wine Press: Modeling Value: Introducing the wwpQPR with the base cost for a 90 pt wine increased to $30 from the $20 that was suggested in 2009:

QPR = =(2^((Q-90)/3))/(P/30)

My top few QPRs so far in 2021 are:
3.0 2018 Rasa Vineyards Founder’s Reserve Blend #2
2.4 2017 Sleight of Hand Syrah The Funkadelic
1.9 2013 Turley Zinfandel Judge Bell
1.9 2015 L’Aventure Cuvée Chloe
1.8 2010 La Rioja Alta Rioja Viña Ardanza Reserva Selección Especial
1.6 2018 Sleight of Hand Syrah Levitation

The Rasa is a no brainer at $16/bottle. Sleight of Hand also makes some really good wines at decent prices. Not surprisingly a lot of my best QPRs are from WA.

It seems maybe something should be added to the formula for storage costs as the Judge Bell and some other wines on my list benefit from inflation on newer wine prices. Maybe $2/year of storage? Commercial storage I think comes to around $4/year which would really eat into the QPR of the less expensive wines.

+1 on the Kirkland Barolo, my favorite QPR this year for the 2016, and also last year for the 2015. Best part is that they are quite different in profile, due to the differences in vintages (presumably). The 2015 is more savory while the 2016 is bright, fresh and herbal. Though different, both are very classic expressions of Nebbiolo and great QPR for $19.99.

Rose: 2019 Triennes
White: 2018 Suzor “Sunflower” Chard
Red: 2019 Daniel Jimenez Landi “Las Uvas de la Ira” Vina de Pueblo

‘16 Monsanto CCR
‘18 Bedrock CA Syrah
‘19 Bedrock OVZ
‘16 Domaine Matrot Bourgogne Blanc
‘18 Franny Beck Rosé of Pinot Noir
‘17 Domaine du Grand Montmirail Gigondas Le Coteau de Mon Reve
NV Paul Dethune Grand Cru Brut

I was raised to share but with the evolution of this wine from a year ago I am bad about that decision!

2013 Davenport Cellars Continuity - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (7/11/2021)
Day 1: Might be the best pop and pour wine of the year. Has this evolved in a year. Gravel, funk, blueberries, spices, cassis and floral notes. Most Bordeaux like wine I have tasted from Washington to date. This is stellar and I have been impressed with the 2013 Washington State Vintage. Might be the best Davenport Wine I have tasted. 94 points
Day 2: Beautiful with some nice funk, gravel, sour berries, floral notes, dark chocolate and cassis. Medium plus finish and well crafted. Certainly value wine of the year candidate along with wine of the year candidate . 94 points (94 points)
$14.00!!!
2013 continuity.JPG