Your First Half of 2021’s Greatest QPR...

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Spätlese Feinherb “Meyer Nepal”
2019 Morgen Long Chardonnay Willamette Valley
2019 Bedrock OVZ

1 Like

A few different Tiberio wines- 2017 Trebbiano, 2018 Pecorino, 2018 Montepulciano.

1 Like

2018 Bedrock CA Syrah.

1 Like

Not yet but have a few bottles…

2017 Nielson Winery Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir. $12.99 is the six pack price at Vons and Albertson’s.

The Nielson Vineyard in Santa Maria was the first vineyard ever planted in Santa Barbara County. Au Bon Climat made some wonderful Pinots from this vineyard, that’s why I was tempted to try a bottle when I saw it at my local Vons. Kendall Jackson now own the vineyard, and whilst the wine does say SBC, the back label references only the soils of the Nielson vineyard. The bottle I tried was head and shoulders better than your typical SBC pinot, that’s why I went back and bought a case! Two subsequent bottles from the case were equally good.

FWIW I went to the Nielson Winery website and the back label on other vintages of this wine reference the various soils of different AVAs in SBC. The 2017 may be an outlier whilst K-J were trying to figure out what to do with this vineyard.

1 Like

2016 Kirkland Barolo ($19.99) - ready to go and punches way above its price class.

1 Like

100% agree. Bought a few bottles of this recently after reading “Native Grapes of Italy” and it punches way way way above it’s weight for a $20 wine. Just exceptional.

Red: Another Costco marvel, the 2016 Kirkland Gigondas, a full complex flavor spectrum with spice at a CDR price of $14.99

White: Recently I finished my last bottle of the light and delightfully different 2018 Muscat Dry Ottonel from Patricia Greene that Jim A gave away for cheap.

Bubbles: 2013 Roederer Estate L’Ermitage, I was stunned how delicious this was for the price, mid-$30s and being from the USA.

2017 Cantilna dei Produttori Carema Nebbiolo @$25
2016 Fine Disregard Napa Valley Semillon
2019 Beau Rivage Chenin Blanc

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
2016 Kirkland Barolo ($19.99) - ready to go and punches way above its price class.

This is one of my 2 for red wines. The other is the 2018 Tenuta di Sesta Rosso di Montalcino for $17.99. We just bought some more yesterday.

Ed

The Kirkland Gigondas seems to be good every vintage.

Head High Pinot Noir, comes from Durell and Gap’s Crown vineyard, this stuff is a steal, especially when you look at the price Kosta Brown charges

This is a great topic. As I just went through my list, I am going to throw out the best QPRs from the last year under $50. I would pay more for all of these and they were above average or excellent for what they were.

2018 Bodegas La Cana Albariño $15
2013 Bodega Weinert Cabernet Sauvignon Carrascal $19
2015 Kirkland Signature Barolo $20
2019 Blackbird Vineyards Dissonance (Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon) $20
2017 Marina Danieli Colli Orientali del Friuli Schioppettino $20
2016 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva $21
2018 Field Recordings Wine Petite Sirah PETS $22
2015 Tenute Girolamo Conte Giangirolamo Puglia IGT $22
2017 Azienda Agricola F. Tornatore Etna Rosso $24
2017 Gönc Winery Starman (Orange Wine) $24
2017 Chateau Grand Pré Côte de Brouilly $25
2020 Gönc Winery “Canvas” Pet-Nat Pinot Blanc $25
2017 Hugel Riesling Classic $26
2009 Stellekaya Cabernet Sauvignon $27
2012 Tallulah Syrah Shake Ridge Ranch $29
2010 Tyrrell’s Sémillon Single Vineyard HVD $33
2008 Nicholson Ranch Syrah $35
2011 Bressan Schioppettino $35
2018 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Central Coast $39
2012 Ferrer Bobet Priorat Vinyes Velles $40
2017 Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay $40
2003 Castellare di Castellina I Sodi di S. Niccolò Toscana IGT $42
2011 Saint Cosme Châteauneuf-du-Pape $50
2005 Bert Simon Serriger Herrenberg Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel $50
2016 Piedrasassi Syrah Bien Nacido Vineyard $50
2003 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume $50

While admittedly, many people have praised this, I had it, and I guess, simply… that I’m NOT a Barolo fan.

I love Barolo, but I honestly don’t think even the more modern versions show their best until 15 (probably 20 years) of age. The Kirkland version is pretty simple, but a great value at the price and much more accessible at a relatively young age with about an hour decant. The Kirland Signature series are very hit or miss, but I think the Barolo is a hit. I would not say it is great, but rather great for the price. I am not sure what you have tried Barry, but I certainly wouldn’t rule out Barolo based on the Kirkland version. Get a well-aged bottle and then see where you stand (in my humble opinion).

2 Likes

Sounds like good advice. Thanks, Ravi.

From Berserkerday > 2015 Saunter Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Eagle Summit Vineyard.

How much? $55.00. Must be an error. [whistle.gif]

From CT > Talk about QPR (value). This is killer at $55 compared to more expensive Napa wines at $75 - $100. Wish I could find my notes, but this was rocking. I can only imagine what this will taste like in a few years. Glad I have another bottle.

Everything from Sandlands.

Everything from Uli Stein (mosel). Terrific wines full stop. From dry to sweeter wines, lovely. Not only the white wines.

For the PR part, at least if you live in Europe and order directly then I doubt there is a better value proposition around. The lineup is more or less between 10-22euro by heart.

When thinking about it, it almost becomes a battle justifying to order anything else, however for variation, cellar diversity and love of other grapes I somehow manage to break free of that thought.

Never heard of him but you got me interested. Any recommendations for a good intro into his range?