Your Favorite North American Resort/Hotel

My wife and I have a week sans kids in June (in a few weeks, while they’re at camp). We want to get away somewhere and I’d like it to be nice; so would my wife, who is a hotel snob.

We are looking for somewhere that’s luxurious but also active. Last summer for the same thing we went to the Little Nell in Aspen, which was perfect. This time we are thinking Blackberry Farm or maybe Four Seasons Jackson. Anyone have ideas? Anyone been to BB Farm?

It needs to be within a 3-4 hour flight from Houston and I don’t want anything too humid. Just looking for inspiration.

If you want a change of pace from the center of the country, take a look at the Ritz Laguna Niguel. Not sure it’s in the same vein as the two you mentioned, but a nice beach location without humidity lol.

Bishop’s Lodge, outside Santa Fe

I’ve only been there for ski season but Post Hotel Banff is delightful.

2 Likes

The Inn at Spanish Bay is pretty special.

BB Farm is super nice, with amazing service, but very heavy on the food/eating. Not the easiest place to get to unless you have a direct flight to Knoxville. Given your desire to be active, consider their sister property, Blackberry Mountain, instead of the Farm, although I’ve not been. Looks very cool.

FS Jackson is nice, but the location is at the base of the ski resort and doesn’t have views. JH can also be a bit cold in June and some of the hiking trails may still have snow. In Jackson, also consider Amangani. Better views than the FS, but it’s kind of quiet. With that said, the FS has great proximity to the Grand Teton National Park, so that is a selling point.

Maybe too obvious for a wine board, but how about the Auberge in napa? In Park City, the Montage Deer Valley is nice albeit may still be cold in June as it’s at high elevation. I haven’t been, but the Lodge at Blue Sky in Park City looks pretty cool.

Have fun! Look forward to seeing other suggestions as I’m always looking for new ideas too.

Favorite NA Resort - Sea Island hands down. But there’s that humidity thing :woman_shrugging:t2:Pretty much every activity you can think of and their spa is first class.

Harbor House Inn in Elk, CA. Come for the eponymous 2 Michelin star restaurant, stay for the natural beauty that is the Mendocino Coast.

3 Likes

Castle hot springs, but obviously season would matter.

One and only palmilla

Good rec, but it would be a full day of travel to get there from Houston.

Post Ranch Inn

Spend several days working through that amazing wine list they have

1 Like

Farmhouse Inn in Sonoma offers a lot of complimentary tastings at wineries in the area

Blackberry Farm’s is amazing and a real gem. Highly recommend this place.

Amangiri
Lodge at Blue Sky
Meadowood
Manoir Hovey

FS Jackson is nice, but pretty standard luxury ski resort. Amangani is more impressive and private.

Also in Houston, I’d not choose Blackberry Farm/mountain in June as it won’t offer much relief in terms of humidity. We stayed at High Hampton in Cashiers, NC and it may be a similar option at slightly cooler temperatures and lower price.

1 Like

Amangiri is by far the best hotel / resort I have stayed at in the U.S.

It is not cheap…

I also really like Harbor House for the commination of food and location. But damn it is far, I think it is about 4 hours outside of SF.

1 Like

I really like Manoir Hovey, but I wouldn’t put it in the same class as others mentioned. High Hampton is a great suggestion - South Carolinians head to that area in July.

That’s probably fair, but since Manoir Hovey renovated their spa and other facilities I think it’s raised its standards a little bit. I thought it’s a unique place and had good food/wine and not part of the usual suspects.

1 Like

Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa, Dunton Hot Springs, Blackberry Farm, and Milkweed Inn are on my list

1 Like

The Days Inn in Huntsville, Alabama is delightful with both a pool AND a hot tub. Even better, the hotel is just a few steps from The Waffle House!

Milkweed Inn is not a resort or hotel. It is a restaurant in the Upper Michigan Peninsula that you stay at for the weekend. It is all about the food which is very good.

Very far, and you have to be comfortable driving on elevated, winding roads for 4 hours. But once you get there, damn…