Your favorite Cali Wineries... that are gone now?

In the way back machine…Lytton Springs Winery.

Tom

fyi the Roessler winemaker was (disclaimer: friend) Scott Shapley, who is now winemaker at Roar, Halcon and his own new label Flywheel.

I certainly agree with Gemello and Lytton Springs Winery (just opened a '94 - still on the young side) and add the short lived La Crema Vinera and Cronin.

Olson Ogden

1 Like

Plam. Exactly.

1 Like

Cloud view.

Another here saying it has to be Lytton Springs Winery. Awww Dick Sherwin-if only you could have stuck it out for longer.
For sentimental reasons, Thunder Mountain should get a mention, and there were some great Thunder Mountain wines.
Garretson? Mat is/was a super nice guy who had little of what it takes to run a successful winery. There were hits and misses includings spritzy bizarre whites and a significant fail with a much-ballyhooed Santa Barbara Wine Futures release of Alban Vineyard designated syrah. And then there were repeated failures to timely ship wine. They were exciting for the unexpected and they were balls to the wall, I’ll give them that.

another vote for havens here

Another +1 for Karl Lawrence

1 Like

Later, Kyle…when I can give it more thought. And pull out my Benson or Chroman books to refresh my mind.

There are a lot of wineries that I used to love…but have morphed into something I don’t much care for any more…
SutterHome/Montevina/NapaCllrs/MtVeeder/Franciscan/Havens/Wente/Concanon/Mazzoco/Rosenblum/CharlesShaw…
And then there are some favorites that are still going strong…nay…better than ever…
DryCreekVnyds/Ridge/Siduri/Novy/Carlisle…

Some of those, alas, I have not followed from the very start!!! [snort.gif]
Tom

Piling on - another vote for Havens - is Michael Havens making wine somewhere else? Still have one bottle of bourriquot that I am saving for a special occasion…

Yes! And I had only just discovered them.

Good news. they are back as of two weeks ago.

I still have a couple in the cellar. You can now feel free paying upwards of $175 per with the new lables producing the Prichard stuff. [wow.gif]

I believe Michael is involved in the Abrente/Bedrock Albarino and Godello along w/ Morgan.
Tom

Audelssa.

Veedercrest.

The Chardonnay was one of the first wines I really began to enjoy a hundred years ago…

Tandem

Ritchie Creek immediately comes to mind.
Pete Miner’s cabs were rustic and delicious and age gracefully with the best of them.
Flew under the radar, probably because they maxed out at 800 cases, and take 15 to 20 years to
come around.
We poured '83 last night and it was still young.

Matanzas Creek with Merry Edwards. I know that it still exists as part of Jackson Family Wines, but in name only.

I liked their wines, and I went to visit once while I was in Paso, during their business hours when their website said the tasting room was open. I showed up, and it was closed, nobody there, no explanation. The next time I was in town, I looked them up, and they had closed down their business.