your (curent) best value sparklers?

^this is a real favorite for me. Anything from domaine tissot a well.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned argyle’s brut. Easily one of my favorite domestic sparklers and it’s $20

The best sparkling wine, right now, that money can buy–PERIOD!
2009 Raventos I Blanc De Nit

Best,

Kenney
http://www.GrapeLegends.com

(i) I like the Mumm as well (black label, $14 at Costco in Dallas). At least in its current release I think it is more enjoyable than the Roederer or any of the other sub $20 California sparklers. Surprising richness, and really approaches the quality of an entry-level ($25-$30) Champagne.

(ii) Contadi Costaldi Franciacorta Rose (NV). Delicious for $20-ish.

(iii) 2008 Argyle Brut for about $17 (Actually, this is good in almost every vintage). Delicious style, a little leaner (less rich) than the Mumm, but also has more delicious minerality…

(iv) Francois Chidaine Montlouis Brut (NV). About $20…maybe not an exciting wine, but very balanced, solid and highly drinkable…

(v) Getting a little more expensive, I like the $23 Renardat-Fache Cerdon du Bugey…Off dry, very expressive Rose pairs well with spicy foods that might otherwise call for beer (boiled crawfish, for example).

Others have already mentioned many of my long time favorites, Lucien Albrecht Rose and Raventos Cava.

I also always love the Vilmart, but don’t ever see it here for $40…it’s always $55+ in this (overpriced) market, so definitely doesn’t qualify as a “value sparkler”.

+1

Also Baumard (but the Corail is better than the Turquoise IMO) and Francois Pinon.
From Champagne, A. Margaine
From Bugundy, Loius Boillot (under $15, and better than most cava I’ve had).

Tissot Indigene from the Jura. It’s too good for its $23-$30 price tag. It does have a little bit of a funky, slightly cidery note that some people don’t like, but it’s subtle and to me it adds depth. The wine is really complex, and I think it’s just as good as a lot of good grower Champagne in the $35-$50 range, better than most big house Champagnes in that price range.

Piper Heidsieck is around $22 here and well worth it.

Domaine Carneros has an Ultra Brut that is outstanding ($39).

I like the blanc de noirs. It doesn’t strike me as being a whole lot different from the Brut but I haven’t tried them side by side. I’m curious to try their still wines but don’t have big expectations.

I don’t understand why all fans of bubbly haven’t discovered Cremant de Bourgogne - the top producers compare quite favorably with lesser Champagnes - they are rarely over $20 and the consistency is amazing - I just had a zip code Cremant de Bourgogne from Trader Joes that sold for $11 that was just lovely -

And I think they blow away anything from the new world…

anything? I like the category also, but I’ve never had one that I think blows away (or is at all better than) anything I’ve had from Schramsberg.

I’m one of those who doesn’t “appreciate” this wine. I’ve given it 3-4 tries, but then just gave up. For me, it’s like bad grower Champagne. And there is bad grower Champagne.

Yep. My recent favorite is a Gramona Cava. 2008 Gran Reserva, I believe. $15. Served it to a Champagne-loving friend from Hong Kong. She was stunned by the QPR.

Also, Quattro Mani NV Franciacorta. Some sort of private label operation. <$20.

+1

Couldn’t agree more on that!

Agree with others here on Cristalino, Aria, and Raventos. But I actually much prefer the Dominio de Tharsys Brut Nature 2008. I tried this at a tasting and was very impressed. From what I can put together online, I believe it spent 18 months on its lees in barrel & 16 in bottle and is from the same winemaker who started Aria’s operation.

Bergdolt Weißburgunder Extra Brut Sekt 2008. An amazing bottle of bubbly that destroys many BdB Champagnes at any price. 15€, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t a US importer. A shame, that.

Cheers,
Bill

For my $, the regular Tissot Cremant is preferrable, and a couple of bucks cheaper. Give it extended air time - a few hours, say - and the Chardonnay fruit sings soulfully.

Also from Jura, recently discovered, Rolet NV Rose, mentioned earlier in a neighboring clad.

In a moment of desperation last week, we tried some $14 sale Piper-Sonoma from the local supermarket, which turned out to be fine for casual Friday sluicing. A friend quaffed most of a bottle alone with no ill effects the following day, so it can’t be too grossly spoofed, in any event.

In the under $10 range, for me, Segura Viudas beats Cristalino by a length - dryer, cleaner, and crisper.

Disagree on the sparkling Gamay!
Both the sparkling Domaine de Nugues and the Patrick Bottex Bugey Cerdon are off the charts delicious, imo. Are they incredible values at $20? Maybe not, but I’d drink either one all summer long.

Hope to try them.
Here is my note:
Tasting Note: Domaine De La Voute Des Crozes Nicole Chanrion Effervescense Sparkling Gamay - Rated C+ only because it may be fun on a hot summer day!

Light yellow color, actually looks like ginger ale.

The nose is very fresh with some light apple and a little pear.

On the palate there is some light apple and an odd almost bitterness that lingers. Some confectionery sugar. This is pretty weird and we didn’t finish the bottle even after two days.

It’s not horrible and I image it would be quite refreshing and pleasant to swag on a very hot summer day sitting outside under an umbrella with friends. It certainly is better than drinking Bud Lite!
Full ramblings

This. The current Roederer Brut Anderson Valley is really good - better than other releases