Your Christmas wine?

I had planned to open an 07 Jamet CR for Christmas but I had leftovers from two bottles that I opened on the 23rd and on Xmas Eve so I just finished those instead. Will probably have the Jamet tomorrow.

I’d never had a Gramercy Syrah - it showed a lot of promise IMO but is too young / in a weird spot right now. The 14 Three Palms was pretty good, if not memorable.
IMG_7355.jpg
IMG_7362.jpg

Christmas Eve: 2015 Gorman Behind the Black Curtain Reserve Syrah, Red mountain

Christmas: NV Treveri Sparkling Rose
2015 Obelisco Electrum Cabernet, Red Mountain
2011 Damoli Checo Amarone Della Valpolicella DOCG Classico
2012 Le Bertarole Recioto della Valpolicella Classico

We had prime rib for dinner, so I thought open up some cabs which I seldom drink. The prime rib was wonderful, an 07 Gramercy cab was an equal match, An Andrew Will '07 followed a little behind with an 07 Virage, both quite good as judged by this PN biased palate. champagne.gif

2004 Haut Brion. I just love this wine, and 2004 is underrated, in my opinion.

At the $180 bucks I originally paid for it, I wish I had loaded up.

2014 Ridge Geyserville – Rock solid, not as ‘big’ as the 2013 but very nice.
1994 Montelena Estate – Musty, lactic aromas and flavors. Not sure if a bad bottle or on the way down. Bought on release from the winery and all other bottles have shown well.
1985 Fonseca Vintage Port – Excellent. Wonderful texture and flavors. A great match with See’s Dark Chocolate Nuts & Chews!

Happy Holidays to all!
Ed

A Fassian celebration!

2016 Liquid Farm Bien Bien
2012 Seavey Cabernet
NV Taittinger

Christmas Eve: 2015 Rivers-Marie Occidental Pinot. Christmas Day: 2012 Realm Farella. I’ve had the RM before, and it went beautifully with our traditional Christmas Eve dinner, Swedish Meatballs. First time trying the Realm, and it wasn’t my style, to be honest.

• 2015 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/24/2020)
    On the surface, bold for a Pinot Noir, but not sweet jammy bold or leather-and-cherry-cola bold. More like citrus and spice - specifically, orange zest and candied ginger, plus cherry and nutmeg. Drank for Christmas Eve with Swedish Meatballs, which paired well. Try this with moussaka or something similarly meaty and spicy.

Good (but unique!) bright red fruit, acid, and structure. Unique enough that I wouldn’t say “balanced” or “typical” - more like “interesting” and “tasty.”

I don’t think I’ve tasted a wine quite like this. How does Rivers-Marie make the Pinot citrus thing happen? (2018 Summa was a very different wine, but also had surprising citrus.)

• 2012 Realm Cellars Farella Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/25/2020)
    This wine moves through four very distinct acts which give it some drama, but don’t necessarily integrate well. First, black fruit that quickly transmutes to red strawberry. Second, an herbal camphor or maybe eucalyptus moment. Third, aggressive drying tannins. Fourth, a long acidic finish that demands another sip. Repeat.

Big, dark, brooding, and tannic. The brooding made it almost overshadowed by a wagyu ribeye roast this Christmas.

Ambitious. Good - but maybe not quite living up to its ambitions. If you have one, consider giving it some years to mellow the tannins and see some more tertiary development.

TLDR: splurge here if you’re looking for drama. Look elsewhere for balance or elegance.

It is wonderful, and we all enjoyed it. However, I would wait 5 years or longer if I were back to only having my 2 bottles knowing what I know now.

Fasscinating, Captain…It seemed logical.

2001 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny- we were having veal piccata, but I needed a red for Christmas, and there was a thread here called “Chambolle with veal piccata.” In a good place, perfumed and elegant. Best part was label was terrible (was on bottom row on concrete in my passive cellar), so didn’t think about what this goes for in current insane market.

Finding a thread that said red wine would go with piccata didn’t convince me, so I actually opened a second bottle, '18 Thomas-Labaille Monts Dames Buster, much better with the meal.

1 Like

Leroy Bourgogne rouges with duck breast

Lovely, fragrant

Nothing special. We had a traditional Chinese meal on Christmas Eve, paired with a Prum Auslese 1998. The wine was delicious, working well with the assortment of dim sum, and crisp roasted chicken. For those living in Westchester, Aberdeen, a Hong Kong style Cantonese restaurant in White Plains, does an excellent non contact pick up, and the food is excellent.

Christmas Day was different; for the first time in years, no duck. Instead, an enormous pork butt, roasted with Philip’s most excellent Tomatillo sauce. The Brussels sprouts with Iberico was very good, the parsnip, carrot potato mix was extremely mediocre. Served with another Prum, this time the 2003. Less impressive than the 1998, it was certainly too unctuous paired to the pork. Our much loved Taittinger rose Champagne 2007 did a much better job.

25-12-2020 with my wife, parents, sister and our newborn son James
NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé
1996 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes
2017 Domaine Henri Boillot Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières
2005 Giuseppe Quintarelli Rosso del Bepi Veneto IGT
1976 Wegeler-Deinhard Geisenheimer Rothenberg Riesling Beerenauslese

26-12-2020 with my wife, a close friend and our newborn son James
NV Perrier-Jouët Champagne Blanc de Blancs
2015 Egon Müller Riesling QbA Scharzhof
NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier Brut
2017 Henri Boillot Meursault
2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (Magnum)
1990 Albert Gessinger Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Eiswein

With spot prawns, the 2001 Querbach Edition Riesling from the Rheingau. Have enjoyed so many bottles of this dry, bustling with lime and lemon flavors!
Very nice rib roast and the 2017 Ch Reynon, Castillon Cotes de Bordeaux. Think a high % of merlot here, easy drinking.

N.V. De Bartoli, Vecchio Samperi w/cheese & foi gras
Very different, very good,
need to have a few more glasses this week to get a handle on this wine.

1997 Bonnes Mares, Jadot w/duck confit tossed with fettucine & shiitake mushrooms
Excellent. A long wait but now it’s worth it.

I very much appreciate the honest feedback! I think its important to provide that whether its positive or negative, and feel like you did so in a very classy way. [cheers.gif]

ODDERO- 2001 BAROLO MONDOCA DI BUSSIA SOPRANA

2009 Congruence CS, it was excellent.

Billecart Salmon Rose NV to start then a 1999 Chateau Ausone. First Ausone Ive had. Was unreal.