Your Christmas wine?

2012 Roederer Champagne
1989 Ch. Leoville Las Cases
1994 Ch. Margaux

The Roederer is brimming with potential, but I’m having a heckuva time keeping the corks in mine! I preferred the Ch. Margaux over the LLC, although both were impressive wines.

Flannery CA reserve tenderloin roast, with Gratin Dauphinois, and roasted Brussels Sprouts.

Cedric Bouchard Val de Vilaine
Benoit Dehu “La Rue des Noyers” Pinot Meunier
2008 Dom Perignon
1994 Dominus

…perfect bottle of old Dominus, DP in a strange, reticent place, Bouchard needing a bit of time, but the Dehu was just right. Reminds me how much I love grower Pinot Meunier.

2015 Marie Courtin - “Resonance” — pretty disappointing; nearly no fruit flavor whatsoever. Nice Nose, though, so maybe needs time?

2019 Paul Pernot - Bourgogne Blanc — good. On the richer end of the spectrum.

2004 Tablas Creek - “Panoplie” — out of magnum, in a really nice spot. Time to drink 'em if you got 'em.

2009 Rockford - “Basket Press” Shiraz — pretty darn big, but it managed to hold together. Went well with the pulled pork; was a bit too strongly flavored for the prime rib, imo.

2015 Rhys Bearwallow
2015 Rochioli West Block
2004 Chave Hermitage
1985 Fonseca

All showed well…that Chave was open for business and paired well with the prime rib.

20201225_112417.jpg

Egrot et Filles NV - paired brilliantly with the Mushroom Consumme that my wife had been working on for days
1990 La Conseillante with the Duck Roti and Cheese Course, one of my favorite wines…

IMG_1548.jpeg

2011 Morlet Estate Cab and it was glorious. Started with Pierre Peters BdB.

2014 roy piper absolutely amazing can’t imagine what spend more would have got me

We were missing the traditional Chinese and a movie out on Christmas, so I opened 1996 Broadbent Madeira Colheita, a Tinta Negra, to ease the disappointment. I used a Riedel Vinum Port glass.

Somewhat subdued maple syrup, mocha, bake shop spice, old wood barn aromatics. More intense in the mouth adding a hint of lemon-leaning citrus peel on the finish. A nice Madeira at a good price for vintage Madeira these days.

Of course, there’s more left in the bottle to give it some air and close out 2020.

We did. It was just 3 of us – myself, my mother, and my wife. My mother doesn’t drink, and my wife wanted cocktails before dinner, and I had to drive afterwards. Not an ideal situation for opening more than one bottle. There will be other opportunities soon enough.

2011 Roederer Estate L’Ermitage Brut - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/26/2020)
drank with Xmas dinner. Fresh and bright. Drinking at peak. Good value. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2002 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Washington (12/26/2020)
Opened about an hour before drinking with Xmas rib roast dinner. Can’t ask for much more from a Cab. Concentrated flavors of dark fruits, licorice, and smoke with earthy undertones. For those who like the style hard to beat Q Creek for quality and value. Happy to have a few more to enjoy. Drink or hold. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Billecart nv BR - star of the show
Merry Edwards SB - wowed everyone
An expensive newer zin based blend - tasted predominantly like a nice zin, big and jammy with a little spice, uber extracted. One comment was they weren’t impressed “at all” and another was “this is prettty good”. I enjoyed it but it was a $50 wine in a $200 bottle. Very happy I didn’t buy the box set.
2013 special select - completely different wine than the ones I’ve had from the 90s. Little to no acidity, super extracted, loaded with oak and vanilla. Good, yes, but dissapointed to see what that wine has become.

How was this? I have two bottles but wasn’t planning on opening one for five years.

Thanks

a $200 zin blend?!? [wow.gif] What is that?

Christmas Eve - 1955 Graham’s Port (This was a gift for my wife’s grandpa. It was the year he and his late wife got married and it was very likely the last holiday that we’ll get to spend with him. It was good enough that I’m considering adding port to what I’m going to collect in my cellar).

Christmas - 1997 Paolo Scavino Barolo Cannubi

Gotta be the Justin Smith/Philip Cambie Downstream wine, yeah?

AA902BAC-CD5A-474C-B444-583A34D3D39B.jpeg
These two rocked. The ‘99 Groffier Bonnes Mares was as good a Burgundy as I have had this year (admittedly an off year for drinking high standard stuff). Youthful, powerful, intense and sublime. Would probably go another 20-30 years but believe me we didn’t miss on anything. So delicious.

Didn’t even know about the existence of Agrapart Venus. This was rock solid. Not like a “normal” tetew de cuvee. Great acidity with rich, ripe fruit. Like Puligny but fizzy.

2 Likes

very happy i passed on the box

I’m sure (hope) others will have better experiences with it and I’m not one to post public negative reviews, especially about a botique wine endeavor. It’s well made, but my impressions were pretty much in line with what I (didn’t want to) anticipated. I gave this one a shot given the rep of the collaboration and the other label I’ve enjoyed so much.

2013 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Fontalloro - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (12/25/2020)
Day 1: This will need the full 3 day treatment. Really nice on a pop and pour featuring dried cherries, roasted chestnuts, mild funk, spices, earth and floral notes. Medium plus finish and balanced wine. 92 points
Day 2: A bit more open featuring dried cherries, tar, mushrooms, spice, funk and floral notes. Medium plus finish. This wine is tasty now but additional cellar time of 5 plus years will be rewarding. 93 points
Recommendation: Yes you can drink it now and don’t have to age it 10 plus years but I think the sweet spot for this vintage will be 2025 to 2030. (93 points)

2010 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Villages Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/24/2020)
Day 1: Candied fruits, ripe strawberries, bramble, mild spices and damp forest floor. Plenty of flavor and decant wine overall. 89 points
Day 2: Less intense fruit featuring strawberries and blueberries. Bramble, spice, rose petals and earth. Medium plus finish. Flavorful and probably needed this much cellar time. Drink now. 90 points
Recommendation: Drink now. (90 points)
felsina 2013.jpg