Your cellar outlier

As I said in another thread, the bottle will likely outlast the relationship from whence it came by at least a decade!

I am waiting for those notes or are those for non wine geek friends?

My cellar has a few of other members’ outliers: namely Brunello, Burgundy, modern Cali-Cabs, even some Dominus.
Don’t have SQN or Unico. Happy to trade my ‘outliers’ for yours.

My outliers are some random southern Italian Primitivo wines that likely received 98 points from Luca Maroni and were purchased as a flyer during a Last Bottle marathon with free shipping on 1 bottle. Some were gifts; some were purchased with my own money. [Ouch!]
Luca’s version of a 98 point wine apparently is cough syrup flavored with prunes and dried cherries. Happy to trade my outliers for yours.

I post them - Bevan, Elyse (made by Bevan), etc.

Pity
[wink.gif]

The 06 is an excellent wine from the Todd. First two bottles drank too young but in 2014 liked it better. I would imagine drinking really well now.

Soon to be a bottle of Mertz Dornfelder.

Having just started I’m eager to find the through line, my entire cellar is outliers.

Two bottles or two wines? [stirthepothal.gif]

I’m a great believer in having variety in the cellar as you never know when you might feel like something different, or need a random bottle for an unusual tasting theme. Madiran and Cahors would be two regions that I have just a few bottles of each of in the cellar. Not something I would often broach, and I generally prefer them with some age, so always a pleasure when I do drag one out.

Yes a fairly eclectic cellar. More white than most as my wife rarely drinks red.

Outliers:
A few Cal Pinot, mainly Calera.
A few Ontario Riesling (mainly Charles Baker some others ) I keep being told it’s good but I must be a bit dense.
I won’t include bottles brought home at Xmas by my wife from her work.

my outlier is a bottle of 2013 Lewis Reserve Cabernet. I had just gotten my first few real paychecks and was just starting to get excited about wine. was looking for something to open when I finish paying student loans from my 2013 graduation and the person got me really excited about Lewis. Luckily, I now also have a bunch of Brunello and Barolo to open that day as well!

Ha! Literally the same over here. I drink pretty diversely across most styles/varieties - everything from big cabs to cru bojo, but i have like 4 burgundies (2 reds and 2 whites). Just no interest. Well…unless you include old CA ‘Burgundy’ from the 60’s and 70’s. Then I’m all in [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Will add me to the low Burg count. I do like Chablis and use to have quite a bit back in the day. Problem it is expensive compared to other regions.

1 Like

It’s such an outlier that I don’t have any Burgs in my cellar…

1 Like

I like your style fellas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a couple of Madiran’s also, but I wouldn’t consider them as “outliers” because they are wines I like, but would only have every few years. So maybe a Quadrennial or Quinquennial wine?

I have 2 bottles of NV Buller Calliope Rare Muscat. No idea when I purchased them, except that it was years ago. They are my only bottles from Australia (Jonathan has a few), and just so far from what I’d ever think to drink that it is laughable. I’d maybe pour it over ice cream. If I ever ate ice cream.

1 Like

I have a shelf in my fridge for things other people like - riper French wines (CdP), Cali cabs and a bunch of natural wine. I like entertaining, and since I think the only rule of wine is “drink what you like” I think it’s incumbent on me to have wines my guests will like.

There’s also always a few bottles of things I open solo to experiment with on a random Tuesday (and which usually lasts a few days) - wines from the Canary islands, Greek wine, Sicilian wine, etc.

Couple bottles of Michigan wine.