You only turn American once: 1997 Williams Selyem Riverblock, 2000 Stonyridge Larose

Kiwi, now Yank (Kiwi Yank? Yanking Kiwi?) that became a US citizen today. Seemed right to have a couple of, what I can consider to be, benchmark wines from each country. Apropos that they both scored evenly.

• 1997 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Rochioli Riverblock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/4/2024)
    From the river block of the Rochioli Vineyard. Last vintage made by Burt Williams. Presumably made at the neighboring Allen Vineyard (also owned by the Rochioli's). A warm sunny vintage. 14.0%ABV. Bottle is in great condition and fill is good.

Clear mid garnet color with a small amount of very fine sediment.

Very present nose, with a wide array of scents, probably best described as potpourri: rose petals, cinnamon, sandalwood, lavendar and rosemary.

Very red fruited on the palate, mostly red cherry, but also raspberry and rhubarb. Fruit has moderate richness and definitely gives off California sunshine.

Palate has medium length and tannins are present but fine grained. Perhaps a touch of heat on the end palate, although balanced with some acid cut.

This really shows no sign of fading, and probably better than my last bottle. (94 points)
  • 2000 Stonyridge Vineyard Larose - New Zealand, North Island, Auckland, Waiheke Island (1/4/2024)
    Cabernet predominant bordeaux blend (of the traditional 5 varieties) from Waiheke Island in Auckland's harbor. Enjoys somewhat of a warmer, dryer, sunnier climate than the city itself. A NZ benchmark for age-ability. 13.5% ABV.

Dark and party translucent maroon color. Bright at the edges with no sign of browning.

Classic Bordelais (Graves!) nose of turned earth, tobacco, cedar and black currant.

Palate starts out a little clipped, but really grows with air. Perfectly ripe (without a hint of over-ripeness) mostly black fruits of blackcurrants, blackberries and cassis.

Palate is long with some herb and spice in the mid palate and nice acid on the finish. Tannins feel fully resolved although the balance of the wine doesn't suggest that its on the precipice That said based on this and other bottles, at its apogee if not just past. (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

20 Likes

Congratulations!

It’s quite the process, but ‘Murica, and we’re glad to have you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I get your Kiwi citizenship?

2 Likes

Congrats, and cheers!

1 Like

Congrats Clayton. Welcome aboard.

1 Like

1 Like

Hopefully you won’t hold it against me that I’m a longtime Spurs fan!

1 Like

Oh boy. That should be an entry disqualification question.

Welcome regardless.

Now we can pretend you mean San Antonio, make you more likable

1 Like

What a year… citizenship and Wembanyama!

(And Vacario, Van De Ven, and Maddison!!!)

Congratulations!

Congratulations!! :wine_glass:

Welcome, Clayton, it’s an honor to have you!

Haka-all-blacks GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Congratulations!

But do know that real Americans drink French :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for joining our country - it’s all the better by gaining someone such as yourself!

1 Like

You’ve been here a while Clayton, but I will welcome you anyway. Congratulations on your citizenship !

Welcome to the listing ship! :wink:

1 Like

Congratulations!

Thanks y’all.