Xavier Gerard: a Cote-Rotie producer to be on the lookout for.

A few of us tried the 2014 Marmouzin last weekend at Manhattan Wine Company, and it is also excellent. I am not usually a fan of Condrieu, but this one has all the tension and mouthwatering length (with any sense of oiliness or excessive weight) I want in a great white wine.

Hmm, what are the francois Gerard cote rotie then? Some images on ct show that as does the rosenthal website who is presumably the importer.

His dad. Xavier took over full control in 2013

Is the La Landonne released in France or is still in barrel?

Nice to see this young vigneron getting some attention, and I totally agree with the sentiments expressed. I first read about the domaine in a Jon Bonne article a year or so ago and the profile piqued my interest.

Last December made a quick visit to the domaine and was really impressed, the 2015 as everyone has posted here was fantastic, and at €30 ex-domaine just a ridiculous, screaming value, where you struggle to find CR at less than €45, and most is in the €50-80 bracket…

• 2015 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (20/12/2017)
    Domaine tasting. Deep purple colour. Nose closed at first, but opens to blackberries, bacon fat, so much depth. Super elegant palate, but masses of structure, this is a beast and will be top in a few years time. J’aime!

Posted from CellarTracker

I felt the 2015 was best left alone for 3-5 years, but seems like given plenty of air could be broachable. A few weeks ago we drank the 2014 over dinner, and this was drinking very nicely, in a much lighter, more perfumed ‘Burgundian’ style…

• 2014 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (10/03/2018)
    Light bodied Cote rôtie but very elegant and balanced: red fruit backed up with subtle depth of Syrah meatiness, floral edges, a little earth. Fresh palate, light bodied reflecting the vintage but very suave and velvety textured. Very drinkable and in a very good place right now (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

As to the Landonne, obviously only tiny quantities produced, 3 years elevage and the 2015 will be released in November this year. It seems the quality is there, but the price is in an entirely different bracket to the classic cuvee, >€100 ex-domaine…

I was a little less impressed by his St Jo (2016 vintage tasted), but i think it was only recently bottled so will need to defer judgement until another chance to taste this.

The white’s are quite good. The other vintages of Côte-Rôtie are also very good, not just the 2015 and not just since Xavier took full control (we sold the 2011 and customers loved it). These make much more sense as popular wines than Levet, IMO, as this is a much cleaner, more modern style. It’s a bit more traditional than Clusel-Roch on that scale and more body than Texier.

The Landonne is very expensive, maybe close to $200/btl retail for the only one I’ve been offered, 2013. I’ve never tasted it and won’t buy it for myself until I do and decide I can’t live without it.

Anyway, sounds like I need to double check on my 2015 allocation about which I was told not to worry.

Yeah wine house has a few la landonne for 195

That sold out quick!

I have a couple of the Landonnes, though I’ve not opened them yet. Should find an excuse, I think.

Thanks for the tip. In for a 6 pack of the 2015.

This is going to ruin this producer, i was ahead of the curve.

We’re all very sad for your loss.

I used to listen to this great indie rock band before they became popular . . .

WB board is a market mover! Impressive.

Nice to see this producer get some love. I’ve enjoyed the wines since the 2011 vintage, thanks to Martin Steinley. I can only imagine the 2015 is great.

Indeed, Zachary, you were on to Gerard early.

Greg, you got about 4% of the 2013 Landonne that Rosenthal brought in to the U.S. Enjoy. [cheers.gif]

Just picked up 12 of the 2013 La La in the U.K. This board is always trouble for my bank account. Look forward to trying them in a few years though.

More :slight_smile:

Dang! 12. Impressive.

Managed to find a six pack in owc. Gonna try it.

To clarify my earlier post, I already have a couple - these are meant for someone else. So I think that means I have 8% at this point!