WTN: Natty Dread

On Monday evenings a local wine bar emphasizing natural and organic wines has a tasting, 4 pours for $15, and the tasting fee is wiped if you purchase a bottle. I went last night and the 4 wines were pretty good and fairy interesting to me

2018 Bodegas F Rubio Herencia blanco Valle de Guadelupe Baja Mexico A blend of 78% Palomino and 22% Chenin blanc. Pale straw color, reserved nose but fruity, reminds me of a dry moscato, pear and citrus, no oak, dry, refreshing, medium+ acidity. 12.5% abv, Beso Imports. A nice, dry easy drinker from 40 yr old vines grown in clay/sandstone, organic farming. Good, ready to drink now.

2018 Envinate Benje Tinto Emilio Ramirez, Tenerife, Canary Islands - 95% Listan Prieto. Translucent light red color. Beet root and earthy nose, red fruits, cherry jolly rancher with slight peppery finish, more pink peppercorn then black. Light body but medium tannin structure. Reminds me of a theoretical Beaujolais/Pelaverga blend. 12% abv. Jose Pastor Imports. Grown at 1000 meters, 80-100 yr old vines pie franco Listan Prieto in volcanic soil. Concrete and open vessel fermentation and neutral oak cask elevage. Very good, and with some structure to age. Liked this one.

2018 Daterra Viticultores Casas de Enriba Tinto Laura Lorenzo, Ribiera Sacra. Mencia (past vintages of this have contained 20% Godello but I think this is 100% Mencia). Dark red/light purple color. Exuberant and fruity nose, fresh cherry and baked pie cherry nose, some rose petal florals. Concentrated fruity, melon, floral and slight earthy palate. Tiny bit of yogurt/lactate. Soft silky mouth, juicy without much tannin. Younger vines 20-25 yrs, in granite with clay and loam. Neutral wood casks for fermentation and elevage. This was impressive with concentrated and perfectly ripe fruit, tastes natural/low sulfur without noticeable flaws. Ready to drink now. I liked this one a lot. 13% abv

2017 Domaine Magdalena Cabernet Sauvignon Maggie Hedges, Sarah Goedhart, Red Mountain AVA Washington State. 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, young vines, biodynamic. Opaque purple. Herbal, bell pepper, cassis, some toasted coconut American oak. Ripe fruit with medium low acidity, ripe tannin, juicy. Oak notes fade and this improves with air. A transparent look at WA state Cab Sauvignon the fruit is not over extracted or over ripe, and they use 100% American oak, of which 20% are new barrels. I think this will benefit from 5-10 years aging. 13% abv. WA state Cab is a tough one for me, but I like this as much as any young ones I’ve tried.

All these wines were price in the $20-28 range, and all seemed to be remarkable values to me. I bought a bottle of the Mencia.

Later that night at home, 2016 Tenuta Anfosso Antea Vino Bianco Alessandro Anfosso, Liguria.
170 yr old pre-phyloxera vines of Rossese Bianco, I’m guessing this is a skin contact orange style wine. Orange gold color, complex nose of citrus, ginger, bruised apple. Long and layered. 13% abv. This was a real treat to taste.

Marc thanks for the notes - those all sound delicious!

Marc, great notes. Thanks for taking the time to post them. I had that Tenuta Anfosso Antea Vino Bianco at a tasting in June and was equally impressed! Here is my Tasting from last June.

2016 Tenuta Anfosso ‘Antea’ Bianco (Rossese Bianco): This wine is from 170 year old vines (not a typo!). Had lovely aromatics of citrus and flowers. Lemon curd, orange oil, acacia flower and hint of mowed grass. Medium body, bracing acidity this was seamless and tasty. Learning, whites from this area are so under the radar.”

Tom