WsOTY -- 2023 Edition and your Discovery of the Year--TABULATIONS COMPLETE

OK everyone. As always, big thanks for all the contributions. Significant decrease from the record number of entries last year, I had 522 entries to work with this time.

A dessert wine reclaims top spot with 1988 D’Yquem earning 4 first-place votes.

1996 Dom, 2001 JJ Prum Wehlehner Sonnenuhr Ries Goldkapsel, 1990 Mugnier Musigny, 1988 Krug and—sort of—Selosse Initial (different disgorgements) each got 3 votes.

D’Yquem also wins for house with 12 mentions. Selosse was the only other house in double digits with 10 mentions. List of the others (as always, I won’t list any house with less than 5 mentions)

Climens (5)
Margaux (5)
Chave (6)
Dom (5)
DRC (7)
Prum (7)
Keller (German) (8)
Krug (6)
Lafon (6) (a nice comeback for them)
Mugnier (8) (definitely the most mentions ever)
Raveneau (7)
Roederer (6)
Taittinger (5)
Ulysse Collin (7)

Not surprisingly, basically no Cali cult cabs (outside of perhaps Kapscandy or MacDonald). I was surprised to see no Schrader or Maybach this year. No Lafite was the standout miss in Bordeaux (unless I missed an entry). No Emmanuel Rouget in Burgundy. No Grange, no Chapoutier and no Masseto. No Marcassin. It was nice to see Verset make it in with 4 mentions this year. With that said, I think this is the lowest number of DRC mentions I can remember. Also super-fun to see Extradimensional Wine Co Yeah come in with 2 votes.

Again, thanks to all. My own choices are below

& & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & & &

I’m sure I’ll forget to start this in a few days when I normally do, so I’ll start it now. I definitely hope to amend/add to my list before the year is out. But with fall beginning to at least show itself in the leaves changing, may as well get started. I’m pretty sure nothing is budging me from my WOTY, the 2nd perfect wine I’ve ever had in my life. As always, scores only included where my tasting note pushed me to include that.

2001 JJ Prum Wehlehner Sonnenuhr Goldkapsel Ries (96)
2005 Henri Boillot Hospice Mazis-Chambertin
1990 Nicholas Feuillatte Palme D’Or
2005 Remoissenet Batard-Montrachet
2020 Bachelet-Ramonet Chassagne La Grande Montagne
2006 Hudellot-Noellat Vosne Les Beaumonts
2017 Jadot Puligny Clos de la Garenne (93)
Fernando de Castillo Antique Oloroso Sherry
2005 Taittinger CDC Rose
1996 Guigal La Mouline
2001 Trimbach CFE VT (93)
1985 Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste
2001 Jamet Cote Rotie
1994 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurtz Rangen den Thann SGN (100 points)
2007 Chateau Rieussec
1991 Mondavi Reserve Cab
Krug NV 173

The “discovery” was probably the sherry—more of a reminder that I should definitely be having more sherry in my life!

Looking forward to everyone’s input. As usual, I will do the tabulations in the first week of January. And, if I’ve missed a WOTY thread this year that someone else may have started, please point me to it so I can add that into the calculations.

Haere Ra,

Mike

8 Likes

Still pretty early, no? I’ll post when the year’s over, but it’s been an insane year so far.

3 Likes

As of now

Top wine: 03’ Spottswoode Estate Cab - just beautiful expression of cabernet
03’ JJ Prum Bernkasteler Badstube Auslese - need to source more of this next time I visit Germany.

Discovery: Andremily White Cuvee. New wine for Jim, it’s absolutely amazing and I need to leave these alone for a few more years to see how they age.

3 Likes

A little. I usually put the thread up starting at the beginning of October—gives people a lot of lead time

3 Likes

I’m not sure how much more Andremily reds I need going forward (nothing against those wines), but the White is a must parchase wine for me every year for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

There is still 25% of the year to come (the part with the best wines, I hope)

I always thought October is too early to start this thread :joy:

4 Likes

I’m not sure what’s worst, this thread or seeing Christmas decorations at Costco in September.

4 Likes

Yeah, the whole antique range from FdC is gorgeous, I’m torn between them as to ‘best’, but probably the Palo Cortado just edges it for me.

Cheers

Dave

Bumping as we’re now into November. Added one to my list, the Krug 173

OK gang, December has arrived. Please start posting. No new additions for me. Looking forward to reading about people’s favourites

Mike

2 Likes

WOTY
1996 Huet Le Mont Premiere Trie Moelleux
1999 Michel Ogier Cote Rotie (thanks @D_Zurcher )

Thanks to all our Denver wine people for opening such phenomenal bottles to try this year!

3 Likes

So far (still hoping this will change by EOY ;))

Champagne
Selosse Substance (May '22 disgorgement)
2008 Cedric Bouchard Haut Lemble
2015 Prevost Fac-Simile

White
2003 Ganevat Vignes de mon pere
2017 Julian Haart Ohligsberg Kabinett Alte Reben
1995 Nikolaihof Vinothek Riesling

Red
2008 Rayas
1989 Chave Hermitage
2007 Vietti Rocche

Discovery
Domaine la Boheme (and many Auvergne producers in general)

3 Likes

I drink more Burgundy than everything else combined, and I had a number of great ones this year, but my top wines hailed from elsewhere.

Reds
2007 Allemand Reynard (a great Allemand in a great spot)
2020 Montrose (too young, obviously, but was blown away by the balance, purity and complexity even at this stage)

White
2019 Bernaudeau Les Coqueries (really an electric white; so good)

Discovery(ies)
My discoveries continue to come in Burgundy as I explore lesser known producers as well as producers outside of the Cote D’Or: Bruno Lorenzon, David Moreau, Douhairet Porcheret, Digioia Royer, Jean Javillier, etc.

2 Likes

WsOTY - Red:

• Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux 2017
  • Soldera 2017
  • Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes 2019

WsOTY - White:

• Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Caillerets 2013
  • PYCM Meursault 1er Perrieres 2006
  • Ravenau Valmur 2014

WsOTY - Champagne:

• Selosse Initial (degorg 2015)
  • CdC 2007
  • Selosse Substance (recent degorg)

Discovery of the year:

• After a trip to Hisa Franko in Slovenia (amazing place) I now sometimes get the urge to drink Slovenian natural wine (Arci Urbajs, Sûman, etc) :upside_down_face:

Year-end lunch with the tasting group coming up on Friday, so the above might get some additions/tweaks

Moved to another country this year for work, and havent had as many top-shelf bottles as last years, but made the most out of the opportunities I would say

2 Likes

Wines of the year

Schafer Frohlich Felseneck 2021
Raveneau Valmurs 1998

Chateau Montrose 1928
Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 1978

1 Like

White
2014 and 2017 Lafon Monty
2017 DRC Monty
2014 Leflaive Chevy

Red
2013 M-G Ruchottes
2015 A-L VR Reignots
2001 Conterno Monfortino

Bubbles
1996 Salon
2013 Cristal Rose

Other
2001 Prum WS GKA
1988 d’Yquem

2 Likes

So far…

I’ll go with Discovery of the Year to the white Bordeaux. It’s been forever since I’ve had one and it was fantastic.

White
2017 Chateau Smith Haut Lafite Blanc

Red
1982 Calon-Segur
1984 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet - WOTY
2001 Ramey Jericho Canyon
2002 Don Melchor

Thankful for friends with deep, old, and often weird cellars. These three stood out among many delights.

Red:
1969 Faiveley Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale: This bottle was simply incredible, especially with a bit of air. Impossibly young primary fruit and vibrant acidity, alongside tertiary depth, a tightrope walk I have rarely seen. So thankful to try this. In amazing shape.

White/Discovery/Baby/Value:
2021 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Neumagener Rosengärtchen Riesling Kabinett: Very bright clear pale straw color, pure and clean nose with white flowers, mango, cantaloupe, a slight rubber band/petrol whiff in the background. Oh my, this is delicious and mouth-coating (not in a dense mouthfeel way but in a penetrating flavor-bomb way), Welch’s white grape (you know it, you love it) meets the world’s best lemon/lime-ade, with a looong lingering bright lime-ade washing over slate finish. Super layered, super enjoyable.

Brown/Dessert-ish:
1983 Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Hattenheimer Nußbrunnen Riesling Eiswein: Cork crumbled and literally popped out of the bottle with a bit of pressure from inside, which worried me of course. Color was close to Coca Cola, which also worried me. But no need to worry, this evolved beautifully over 2 hours, incredible tightrope of zingy acidity, rich apricot marmalade, orange peel, layers and layers. Gorgeous wine, not even close to overly sweet or cloying. One of those wines that sets off lightbulbs and love.

2 Likes

The white wines of Pico in the Azores for me. Visited in the spring.

2 Likes

I’ll play.

Bodegas Alonso Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Amontillado 1/15 - this sherry was off the freaking charts and blew the doors off other several other awesome sherries on the table, including a Byass añada that normally would have reigned supreme. Impossible power and concentration, absolutely arresting. Probably the best sherry I have ever had.

1998 Domaine Barge Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune - a perfect Côte-Rôtie at its apogee. Link to note.

2022 Clos du Gravillas emmenez-moi au bout de terret - my discovery of the year. 100% Terret Gris, super fascinating and special wine; case purchases are a must. Link to note.

2020 Danjou-Banessy La Truffière Blanc - another discovery of the year. 100% single-vineyard carignan gris from 80+ year-old vines on black slate over limestone, whole cluster vinification, wild yeasts, and raised in older barrels for 20 months, 12.5% alcohol. A little reduced at first on the nose, then a slight smoky air over lemon and gravel. Steely and taut with lemon oil and gentle apple/pear notes, laser pure and long with a strong mineral finish. Just an electric wine, cool and crystalline.

And why not? Worst wine of the year:

2020 Laureano Serres Montagut Mendall Finca Espartal BP - Bought this at a very friendly wine shop in Girona that specializes in natural wines. The proprietor described this producer as the early leader of natural winemaking in Catalunya, a once-scientist-turned-wild man of wine. Apparently the wines are tightly allocated so I figured why not. 20€.

Mostly garnatxa. This is the avatar of natural winemaking: funky and shrill with extraordinary amounts of dissolved CO2 making this nearly a petnat. Sharp and scouring on entry, with a long finish of gout de souris. I shook the bottle for ages and it never disbursed all the gas.

I just don’t know any more.

4 Likes