WsOTY--2022 Edition--and your Discovery of the Year--TABULATIONS COMPLETE (OP)

So far this year:

2005 Truchot Clos de la Roche (from magnum)
1999 Rossignol Trapet Chambertin
1999 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes Chambertin
2015 Domaine Dublère Chorey-les-Beaune La Maladerotte
2001 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Morey St. Denis Clos de La Bussière
2016 Alain Hudelot-Noëllat Bourgogne
1982 Château Gruaud Larose
2003 Chateau Climens
2015 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtröpfchen BA
2010 Reinhold Haart Wintricher Ohligsburg Spatlese
2002 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese
2007 Taittinger CdC
2009 Dom Ruinart

2 Likes

Probably the champagnes this year, including:

1992 Dom Perignon P3
2002 Dom Perigon P2
2008 Dom Perignon
2008 Dom Perignon Rose

Instead of “discovery” I will say “re-discovery”: Chateau des Tours Cotes du Rhone and Vacqueras.

Timely thread, since one of my contenders was just last night ('01 JJ Prum W-S Auslese). Here’s where I think I am:

WOTY: '01 Müller-Catoir Mußbacher Eselshaut Riesling Eiswein

Honorable Mentions:

'16 DRC RSV
'01 JJ Prum W-S Auslese
'95 Krug
'04 Jamet Cote Brune
'89 Giacosa Falletto Riserva
'76 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia GR

Discoveries: Defaix Chablis; Simon Colin; Grappin

1 Like

Let’s try to organize somewhat:

Champagne:
96 Salon
69 DP P3
04 krug cdm
96 Krug
08 Salon
08 CDC
02 Krug
02 krug cdm
12 Vilmart CDC
08 Cristal
09 Cristal
89 Krug

Red Burgundy:
88 LT
90 LT
96 LT
99 LT
01 LT
02 LT
76 Rousseau Chambertin
88 Rousseau Chambertin
96 Rousseau CSJ
91 Rousseau Ruchottes
01 Rousseau Chambertin
08 AF Gros Richebourg
17 Bruno Clair CDB
19 Bruno Clair CDB
19 Bruno Clair BM

White burg:
01 Leflaive BBM
07 Carillon BBM
10 Carillon BBM
14 Ramonet BBM
17 Ramonet BBM

Napa:
18 Materium
16 Myriad Round Pound

3 Likes

WOTY for me was 2016 Bevan EE Cuvee Tench Vineyar

Discovery was 2021 Orr Chenin Blanc (Berserker day find)

2 Likes

I was a grad student in Durham NC when this was released and just getting into wine when Wellspring Grocery (the local “Whole Foods” who merged with them a few years later) got this in for $15 and my wine buddy called and said I should buy as much as I could before it was all gone. My wife reminded me was a lot of money for a bottle of wine for a grad student family, so I only bought three hoping to enjoy a WOTY experience of a nearly 100-pt wine in 20 years. After a few months, I noticed wine was leaking from under the capsule so opened that bottle, which was an okay CdP, but nothing to write home about. The other two looked okay until after another year or so when another started leaking, so I drank that one with the same result. The last bottle never leaked and I opened it with great fanfare with friends in 2009. It was corked. Glad you got a good one!

WOTY: Toss-up between 2010 Baudana Serralunga Barolo and 2015 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon Yakima Valley

Discovery: 2019 Accornero Barbera del Monferrato Giulin. Can’t wait to pair this up with Bedrock Shake Ridge Ranch!

1 Like

This is like a Hemingway short story. I am sorry for your misfortune, and hope you are in a position now to source a few perfectly conditioned bottles.

1 Like

WOTY (Red):

2017 Lionel Faury Saint Joseph
2004 Tensley Colson Canyon Syrah
1997 Chateau Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon
2018 Halcon Elevacion

WOTY (White):

2019 Domaine des Pierres Seches Sylvain Gauthier Saint Joseph Blanc
2020 Tensley Marsanne
2020 Desire Lines Wiley Vineyard Riesling

2 Likes

WOTY: 1997 Giacomo Conterno Monfortino

1995 Verget Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Romanée
1996 Paolo Scavino Bric Del Fiasc
2009 Vietti Rocche
2014 Teso la Monja Alabaster
2016 Chateau Pavie Macquin
2020 Williams Selyem RRV
2016 Casanova di Neri
2017 Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova

Had a lot of swings and misses with older bottles purchased through WineBid.

DOTY
Lamy-Pillot (I tried a couple and they have been awesome, have some cellared that I’ll have to wait patiently to try)
Time & Direction Syrah Solaksen Vineyard

2 Likes

WOTY:
2015 Bevan Cellars EE
2013 Marcassin Chardonnay

Most Intriguing WOTY:
1975 Château Magdelaine

Pleasant Suprise of the Year:
1999 Ravenswood Zinfandel Old Hill

There is still time left with some nice bottles on deck so I will update if any wines leave as much of a lasting impression as these have left.

1 Like

The year’s not done yet and I have some ringers lined up, but as it stands so far, the top contenders are:

2020 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Eiswein (glorious infanticide)
2000 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 Vignai da Duline Schioppettino
2016 EMH Black Cat

Still, nothing has quite matched my experience with EDYC Chendawg Yeah! last December. What a revelation that was.

2019 Realm The Bard Blair Edition

2 Likes

2019 Ramonet Montrachet

Drop the mike

2 Likes

My list as someone who has just gotten into wine this year.

Discovery

• 2016 Opus One - This is what launched me into wine this year. It taught me that wines do not have to be so bold and big all the time.
  • 2002 Joh Jos Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese - Opened the door into the magic of aged Rieslings for me.

WOTY

• 2000 Chateau Latour - Easily beat out all of the other first growths that I have tried so far.
  • 2012 Keller G-Max - This launched me into Rieslings, creating a chase to re-create this drinking experience at a lower cost.
  • 2017 Roumier Les Cras - This completely blew out my already high expectations for a wine.
  • 2016 Maybach Family Materium
  • 1993 Pazjos Tokaji Essencia

At this point of my wine life, it may seem that everything could be a discovery or epiphany. So I narrowed it into the wines that had the most impact. For reference, I went from drinking and tasting maybe 15 bottles a wine a year to having tasted over 500 wines this past 11 months.

7 Likes

One hell of a year Michael!

G-Max is singularly special. If it was just a 0 less on the price, I’d be stocking up.

5 Likes

Story of my life bro

1 Like

That’s some special wine, isn’t it? So glad you got to experience it in your first year.

1 Like

Interestingly, as I think back on my favorite wines of the last year, they were mostly white wines and champagnes. My collection is 90% red wine but this year was the first year I started buying much more White Burgundy and Champagne relative to the reds. My palate seems to be evolving.

Champagne:
1995 Krug - one of the best champagnes I’ve ever had.

White:
2010 Jadot Domaine des Heritiers Les Demoiselles Chevalier-Montrachet - just a perfect white burg experience.

Reds:
2016 Domaine de Montille Volnay Taillepieds - Level 11 Taillepieds.
1964 Franco Fiorina Barolo - immortal.
2016 Joseph Swan Pentagon Pinot Noir - IYKYK

Favorite “discoveries” (producers I just started drinking):
-Hubert Lamy
-Laherte Freres
-PVG - maybe started in 2021 but I can’t get enough
-Extradimensional Wine Co. YEAH!

1 Like

Looking back at 2022 so far, I have had very few “exclusive” bottles in 2022 (Burlotto’s 2018s is probably one exception, though a larger tasting and dinner), for the most part it seems I have quite fully embraced drinking more humbler wines. Probably a few reasons for that, among other having a toddler at home and a cellar with many wines ready to action (steering what goes into rotation) and so on. I have also had a preference for younger, energetic wines in general this year.

With one and a half month to go lets see if (and hope) updates will be required.

WOTY for me was probably:

2012 Weiser-Künstler Enkircher Ellergrub Riesling Kabinett

It was a magnificent bottle opened for NYE, yet most of it drunk on NY day. Couldn’t think of a better way to end a year and start a new - Bursting with energy, flavors and an incredible texture/finish dancing along for ages. A don’t brush your teeth before bed type of wine/finish.

Other white wines I have really enjoyed over the year have been:

• 2021 Keller Riesling von der Fels (impressive with incredible fruit purity and intensity - never had a dry riesling handling spicy food like that. Crazy energy)
  • 2018 Skerk Carso Ograde (love the texture and just a terrific wine)
  • 2021 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett trocken “Egon” #19 (Loved it and the way it kept developing over days - a wine that makes me think and feel)
  • 2016 Grosjean Petite Arvine Valle d’Aosta Vigne Rovettaz (first time and loved it - also my find of the year!)
  • 2019 Ziereisen Weißer Burgunder (wow for a wine at this price point!)

Among the red wines it is a dead race between:
2014 Enderle & Moll Pinot Noir Liaison
2016 Elio Sandri Dolcetto

As for the E&M I like it more than any 2015 bottlings I tried of the years (know many here prefer the warmer 2015). Short notes saying: Sensational. Herbal, spices, dark and red fruits. Texture is silky woven, yet with quite some tannic grip.

The Sandri Dolcetto on the otherhand smashed me expectations and I have loved every bottle opened before. If served blind I could have taken it for a barolo yet with a slightly different fruit and texture profile (slightly less refined than a nebbiolo would have been).

Other memorable red wines:

• 2004 Giacomo Brezza e Figli Barolo Sarmassa (it’s quite big and powerful, maybe less about elegance but still gracious)
  • 2014 Ronchi di Cialla Schioppettino di Cialla (I have loved the good 2014 wines in Friuli even if a difficult year with loads of rain, regret not having more of the ReNera 2014)
  • 2011 Franck Balthazar Cornas Cuvée Casimir Balthazar (my first with some age and what a texture)
  • 2012 Esencia Rural Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León De Sol a Sol Natural Velasco (herbal bomb and an incredible energy. The old ungrafted vines from this estate give wines that sometimes are too energetic and intense - this is now starting to calm down, just a bit)
  • 2013 Adriano Marco e Vittorio Barbaresco Basarin (think I paid eur15 for this, a very good barbaresco and with Vittorio’s sad passing earlier this year it become more memorable)
  • 2020 Roagna Dolcetto d’Alba (finally I got hold of it without crazy markups - lovely dolcetto, and yes this has been a year of dolcetto! Love the grape when in the hands/land of great winemakers)
5 Likes