WOWSERS! - 2009 Morgon "Les Micouds" (Domaine Rochette)

Still another winner from the 2009 vintage!!! flirtysmile
2009 Morgon “Les Micouds” (Domaine Rochette) - 13.5 % alcohol - $20.99
Dark crimson color. Fragrant floral nose of cinnamon, violets and face powder.
Deep, rich raspberry fruit with tons o’ minerals and a touch of salinity.
Fine acid and some tannins in the long, tangy, lipsmackin’ pomegranate aftertaste.
This is one serious Morgon and a bargain at the price!
Yum-city. I bought me some. [92+ pts]

TTT

Thanks for the note, Paul. Sounds awesome. Great QPR.

Another winner is the 2009 Drouhin Morgon. Just finishing up a bottle I popped with my wife around 5 PM as we were grilling a fatty skirt steak marinated asian-style. Starty a bit spritzy, but that blew off in about an hour. Wonderful nose of green apple peel and strawberries. Like a Jolly Rancher candy, almost. Picked up weight as it opened it. Young, tart and with some verve. At $13.59 ZAchys, a steal. (89 pts).

Although Gamay doesn’t approach the majesty of Pinot, it provides some pretty nice drinkin’ in the $15-$30 range!

TTT

Well, mostly not. But of course most PNs aren’t that good either. However the '09 Lapierre Morgon, IMO, is starting to define a new class of wine. Haven’t doped out how best to describe it yet, but “ethereal” and “sublime” come to mind. We’ll see what heights Gamay can scale, maybe it will surprise us all.

I got some… excellent stuff. I think this one actually needs some bottle age.

I’d have agreed with you on this before Thanksgiving. We drank an 07 Foillard with TG dinner that was clearly too young, but the last inch or so of wine in the bottle, at the end of the night, was as majestic as any red wine I’ve had in at last the past few years. It surprised me.