World of Fine Wine: Did Darwin save wine? (spoiler: No, but....)

Is too much to ask for a small comment or a summary or anything when posting a link?

If I see just a link with no accompanying text, I’m thinking it’s just clickbait and/or spam and ignoring it. I doubt I’m the only one who thinks this way.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s in World of Fine Wine. Not really a publication known for clickbait. It’s worth reading, like all the things I post here. :wink:

There’s many funny anecdotes about Darwin’s wine drinking, the prevalence of wine being prescribed as medicine for literally everything, as well as Darwin’s personal interest in viticulture as well as the role his work played in eventually solving the phylloxera problem.

1 Like

Interesting article - thanks! Yes, basically the idea is that Darwin contributed by his research to the eventual idea of grafting European vines on American rootstock to beat phylloxera.

2 Likes

Essentially his work on coadaptation which was published right before the breakout of phylloxera, was used to promote American roostock grafting as a solution to that issue.

The article did a nice job exploring the role that wine had during Darwin’s life.

2 Likes