Wines you would buy regularly if the prices came down 25%

Yquem. I have enough and stopped buying at $200/half bottle, but would probably still buy at $150.
Vilmart Coeur du Cuvee
Brovia (now above $100, I was buying at $75-80)
H. Boillot Clos de Moucheres
Hudelot Noellat Murgers
Jerome Chezeaux Suchots
Lopez de Heredia blanco reserva (escalating in price quickly, but was delicious at $50)
Montevertine Pergole Torte
Stella di Campalto (again escalating rapidly)

Failla
Kelley Fox
Ceritas (although I do suffer through pricing there as they’re just so good, but I’d buy more if they were a bit cheaper)
Someone mentioned Tyler and although have never been a regular, love the wines and would buy a lot more if they were a bit lower priced.

1 Like

Especially the fact that the Sea Smoke Southing is priced the same as the Ten, which I tend to prefer for its dark fruited profile.

Most of the California wineries I love now price their single vineyard bottlings in the $80s or more, which is now out of my comfort zone for somewhat regular consumption. I stopped buying the Williams Selyem SVDs for this reason. I’ll continue to try to split allocations with friends to still be offered most of the wines on the mailing list.

I’m very happy with the Scherrer appelation wines in the $25-40 range which scratch the lush fruit forward California pinot itch for me. I have young kids and most of my wine is consumed between 6 and 10 pm at home and it feels wasteful to crack open a +$60 wine when sometimes I just want to relax and feel a nice buzz if I’m being honest with myself.

1 Like

Francis Ford Coppola Eleanor Red

And a bunch of dessert wines in general
Recioto della Valpolicella
Barolo Chinato
Picolit
Taylor Fladgate (40 year)

Maybe champagne in general too. I still don’t drink much, but nothing I have tried under $50 has even been slightly enjoyable for me.

Sea Smoke Southing
Beaux Freres Beaux Freres/Upper Terrace
Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie
Bryant DB4
Don Melchor

I still buy these on a occasion, but I would buy a lot more at a 25% price reduction.

Not sure I would buy Sea Smoke at 50%. Too big in style for me.

Agree on the Vilmart. champagne.gif

25% might get me to buy some mid-range wines I like, because they typically haven’t gone up in price as much. But most of the higher tier wines I used to buy, or would like to buy now, particularly burgs and northern rhones, have increased far more than a 25% reduction from current prices could rescue. I have mostly switched to buying Bourgogne level wines from producers I like, and have bought a very few Rhones in the past few years. It’s just too ridiculous to be spending $100-200+ on a significant number of wines.

I’m with you.

I’m with you too.

Putting aside Champagne where Laura and I are backing up the truck regardless of pricing, I am pretty much done with expensive wine. The amount of delicious wine that costs less than $50 (or thereabouts) is beyond belief. No more Burgs? Whatever. No more Rhys Pinots? Whatever. There is so much good stuff out there!

4 Likes

I’m in this camp.

3 Likes

I would like to add a couple to my initial Rinaldi and La Mission post: Mugneret Gibourg and Dujac. at the current prices the lowest tiers are all I can splurge buy (If I ever find them) and even the next tiers up are out of reach. I notice a lot of Bouchard on here, but I agree with people saying it is still worth it in my mind. I think it competes with and beats champagne that is priced pretty far above it at the current price (but again, I’m talking about the wines at the lowest price point)

That is a shame, it was available at $165 on Black Friday in 2020, the lowest I saw it for…but even at $200 the 2008 is worth it. I’m not buying the 2011 unless it drops down to $129. It’s not that great a vintage and I’m not comfortable buying the wine “regularly” it is in the $200 ball park. That’s a splurge (1-2 bottles max)

Do you think Brovia is over priced? Or has it just gone out of your price comfort range?

You’re saying champagne pricing is about to 2x!!!

1 Like

3X!!

1 Like

Not overpriced for it’s quality level, but most of mine were bought at less expensive levels. Because of their longevity and at my age, I probably have enough of them, but at a 25% clip I might be a buyer again. [cheers.gif]

Produttori

Auteur immediately came to mind.

Tyler is the first thing I thought of, as I enjoy their wines but not quite enough to purchase regularly. Reynvaan in Washington is another one for me.