Wines You Love That Others Just Don't Get

No, he meant Tojaki, and obviously you just don’t get Tojaki! [pillow-fight.gif]

Ha, I forgot about you after I purged my memory of your 3L Caymus.

I know people on this board get it but my wife and friends here in real life do not. And I don’t think anyone here has mentioned it yet so: Port. When I open a bottle, it’s all mine. So it doesn’t happen that often. Sad.

Guilty pleasure…I’m a sucker for the bright citrusy, floral scent/taste of good moscato. There are a lot of mass market “sugar water” versions out there now, but that’s not what I’m talking about.

Do you find others struggle to ‘get it’? From wine geeks to occasional drinkers, I’ve always found Moscato d’Asti goes down very well.

However you allude to a group of people who I feel too often don’t ‘get it’ - winemakers elsewhere, who either pump too much fizz into it, or fail to preserve enough acidity, but often both. Some of the Australian examples are very cloying to my palate.

On the flip side, I’ve yet to taste a Moscato d’Asti that made the same mistakes, or wasn’t good / very enjoyable. Probably the safest bet in wine that I can think of.

It’s the Austrian version of Grenache.

This

Me!

I find, if anything, that Moscato d’Asti is particularly useful for people that don’t normally like wine. So I would think its pretty ‘gettable’ in that dimension, or I guess popularity.

Nice observation on the Savoyard wines. I like them, but they are not so easy to find. K&L has been bringing in more recently, and I’ve been enjoying an inexpensive co-op Bugey they found.

Nothing I can think of when I’m among wine friends.

When with non-wine geeks, though, I’m constantly trying to sell people on Riesling. I still encounter plenty of wrinkled noses and “I don’t like sweet wine” comments from colleagues and casual friends. My close friends have been around long enough to have been converted.

On this board, I know I’m not alone in my love for Petite Sirah but it doesn’t get a lot of love elsewhere. I do think I might be alone though in my love for drinking PS super young though. It’s a different experience than mature PS that I enjoy on occasion. It’s like drinking from a fire hose and sometimes I really just need that.

Sherry.

It’s an awesome grape, I am on your train.

As a generalization, I find it fun to try from release into dotage.

This thread is a bit of a Rorschach test for the forum.

I love PS as well, but I find a distinct difference in a northern CA version from Sonoma or Napa and a southern version from Santa Barbara. The southern ones are actually approachable in the early years. The northern ones seem to need lots of time.

I find that, with the exception of a handful of respected wines, Moscato is looked down upon by serious wine drinkers. Sweet wines in general tend to have an uphill battle in this regard, but especially moscato. It’s been made worse lately in the states; as wine stores/grocers selling versions aimed at a mass market have filled a niche for sweet, simple, fizzy “beginner wines”.

Let me make a tortured analogy that may explain how I feel…

Imagine yourself a serious black actor in the 1950s, struggling for serious roles. You turn around and see some other black actor doing silly, dumbed down, bug-eyed, “yassah”, minstrel roles. And he is fast becoming super popular, with a six picture deal playing up every stereotype you hate about black people.

If a sweet wine becomes pricey enough, oenophiles suddenly seem to start getting it. [cheers.gif]

I wish we could get a PSA out there for this. “Attention public: Not all Riesling is sweet! In fact, they are available in a range of sweetness from completely dry to insanely sweet. PS: there is more to Zinfandel that that pink stuff.”

Fino sherry – served ice cold
Pinot Blanc – Dutton-Goldfield makes one I like; Yep, cream soda-flavored wine. Yum!
Lambrusco – Lini and other dry varieties

As a group, this board has such broad and adventurous palate, that it’s hard to think of a well-made wine that no one here will “get,” but I am enjoying reading about everyone’s further-reaching tastes!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

We were at a restaurant in Aspen and ordered a charcuterie board. The wine list had a single Lambrusco option on it so I ordered it thinking it would go well with our snack. When I told the waiter my wine selection, his reply was “wow, I’ve never seen anyone order that before.”