Wines You Love That Others Just Don't Get

Larry,

Not Anton, but I think there are some examples from Oregon that are splendid, and also some from Germany and Austria. St. Innocent and Maysara come to mind. Hiedler does a very good one in Austria, and I can recommend Mobitz and Rebholz in Germany.

You won’t get Riesling’s complexity, but they can age well, and what I love them for is that they serve as an excellent foil for a wide variety of dishes without trying too hard to be the star.

2007 CDP?? :slight_smile:

On a serious note, I’d second Gewurztraminer. Big fan.

I’ve enjoyed quite a few Pinot Blancs from Oregon. Matello/Goodfellow, Walter Scott, Cameron and Paetra.

There ya go!

:wink:

Young, zaftig Viognier

whether its Guigal’s basic blend, or an unknown coop from the Languedoc, to a fancy Condrieu

it’s all good

Just don’t let them age.

Arv, that’s great use of the word zaftig. :slight_smile:

Okay, my answer is Tojaki, some Sauternes, and old sweet Goldkapsel Rieslings

My wife and most friends just don’t get why I love them SO much.

[EDIT: I refuse to edit Tojaki]

Moderately old, sweet Riesling
Doisy Daene l’Extravagant (2001 at 280g/L rs :astonished: )

Also my go to wine present for non wine geeks is Caymus Zin. I secretly look forward to opportunities to drink it. I guess I have a sweet tooth :wink:

If half the people in this thread say Grenache, then I guess it doesn’t qualify. :slight_smile:.

Actually, I had never thought of that as something that was widely disliked.

My answer would be pinotage, and South African wines generally. I like the combination of good fruit with bramble and rusticity that I tend to find there.

That probably applies to most Viognier, but I just tasted through several vintages of Xavier Gerard’s Vin de Pays Viognier which is grown on a hilltop parcel right outside of Condrieu’s limits. Price is under 10 euros ex-cellar and everything from the first vintage (2006) is drinking well with the 2007 being absolutely superb - refreshing acidity and ripe, bright fruit.

As for the thread’s question I just love drinking the whites of Savoie: Roussanne, Altesse and the blends. Availability plays a part but you do not see much discussion of these anywhere.

Rhone whites, Alsace whites (especially gewürztraminer and pinot gris), Loire cabernet franc, Cru Beaujolais, Yarra Valley cabernet, Australian chardonnay and cru classé Bordeaux red, white and sweet :wink:

Has there ever been a 100 point sauvignon blanc

No and with good reason. It’s SB after all.

Not many people I know really “get” the wines of R. López de Heredia.

Hmm, my wife is one - she loves Maria but not the wines. However, I think on this forum, that’s a board darling. All the rage these days.

Okay, my answer is Tojaki, some Sauternes, and old sweet Goldkapsel Rieslings

Dude - Who doesn’t like those? And Tojaki? Not sure what that is but if you mean Tokaji-Aszú, there’s no better botrytized wine made.

Yes, Tokaji, but with a typo

I was trying to pronounce the typo in my head and I’m just dying now… [rofl.gif]

Languedoc-Roussillon

I wouldn’t say dislike Grenache, just don’t “get it”, the multiple red fruits, the pepper…how a good one really tastes. Some pass it off as raisiny, a flavor I have never found in a good Grenache.

I know it gets some play here, but I generally drink my lovely Chinons alone. Perhaps not a bad thing! Outside of my sister - super cool chick with great taste - none of my friends or family get any thrill from them at all. Oh wait, there is MarcF. So two people to drink my Chinons with…

Jeez, I see I don’t even make the friend list.

Zweigelt!

It’s such a fun wine.

Drinking alone is a worrisome sign, brother. [snort.gif]

So far, with one or two (really!) exceptions, I am on the “nah, I’ll pass” side of just about everything mentioned in this thread. Call me conventional I suppose.

Ditto

Sparkling shiraz (though in truth there are very few I like, but those I do are something of a singular pleasure)

Barolo Chinato is again something where if I open a bottle, it’s probably me who has to drink all of it.

Mature / Over-mature wines. Appreciated at offlines, but typically that means the wines have to travel / get shaken up to get there. At home and with most of our wine friends, the wines are treated with cautious mistrust.

I’m slowly winning the war with whites made in a slightly oxidative style (LdH whites, white Musar etc.).