Wines you buy every vintage

I would list them all but it would crash the server. :frowning:

The Rose is available in the US now. I really like the 2012.

I’m not assuming cases. I think the OP meant any wine you annually purchase. I wouldn’t assume anything beyond that.

I really don’t have “must have” purchases, but there are wineries I have had a long history of buying their wines from, until either price increases or stylistic changes or palate changes have made me stop.

If we’re just talking about 1-2+ bottles to drink soon after release, my list would be very long. Wines for the cellar is a much shorter list:

Donnhoff Hermannshohle GG (skipped 2013, but pretty much buy every year)
Cayuse (various)
Thomas Pinot Noir
Voge Cornas VV
Elio Grasso Barolo Ginestra Casa Mate
Brundlmayer Riesling Heiligenstein Lyra
Brundlmayer Gruner Veltliner Vincent’s Spiegel

There are others that I have and collect verticals of but don’t buy every vintage.

Clos du Mont Olivet CdP. Starting with, IIRC, 1985. Even bought 2002.

Very short list and as of next year it’s even shorter.

Rhys - but I’ve stopped buying due to storage limitations
Clos Roche Blanche - but 2014 was their last vintage
M. Ollivier (might be as little as one bottle)
Willi Schaefer (might be as little as one bottle)

Red Musar is the nearest thing. I generally buy it every year, but due to the inflate & discount approach of the easiest place to buy it, if I miss the promotions, I don’t buy the wine.

Nothing else comes close - indeed don’t think I have more than two vintages of any other wine at the moment, and maybe a max of 3 vintages at any point in time in the past.

Verticals can be fun, but I tend to prefer greater variety

I don´t make a list, but there are a lot of wines I buy in every vintage - usually because I like the wines, and often I´m friends with the producers for 10-20+ years, here in Austria or in France.
I visit there regularily, I know not only all or most vintages (and cuvees) but also how they develope, when they will be approximately be mature … etc.
I also buy usually the “minor” vintages (maybe in lesser quantity) - because as written above I like the style, I understand that producers need to sell them even if there is no hype for them … and they might be aprochable earlier and will provide (almost) the same pleasure when opened at the right moment - even more pleasure than a greater vintage opened too early …
… and I like to be a faithful customer. I really hate it (as has happend) when people say “no, this is a weak vintage, I´m not interested, I´ll wait for the next great one” (even at double the price …) … and then I serve them a “small” vintage … and they get crazy about it because it´s so good … but they don´t have it in the cellar … neener

Buying only the hyped vintages will not eduate you about a producer/region/style … and certainly not about the qualities aof each vintage …

Allemand

Yeah not necessarily by case as some wines are extremely limited.

Just curious which producer’s wines are an always buy. Originally I had a more narrow focus, like not just a producer, but specific bottlings, unless you buy their entire line-up. For some Burgundy producers that’s a lot of different holdings.

Patrice Rion Bourgogne Bons Batons and Dublere Bourgogne Millerands. As much as each of them will sell me.

Dan, I think it ebbs-and-flows. Sometimes, you get hooked into buying for several years, then something happens, and then you don’t. For instance, I like Scherrer’s zinfandel, but they only offer futures of it on cases. I have 2 others that go in with me, so it becomes a yearly purchase. But if they stopped their purchases of it, I probably would also. Many purchases are contingent upon factors.

Nice call on the Rion. How do you think their Bons Batons compares to Ghislaine Barthod’s?

By the case (or multiple cases) off the top of my head:
Domaine Brana Harri Gorri rose
Domaine de Triennes rose
Camin Larredya Jurancon Sec
Henri Boillot Clos de la Mouchere
Comte de Champagne (when applicable)
Sperino Uvaggio
Almondo Arneis Bricco delle Ciliegie
Cavallotto Nebbiolo
Cantina dei Produttori Carema Riserva
Many Rieslings

Does it make the trans-Atlantic trip o.k.? I’ve heard horror stories about the red, so I don’t even bother with it. And I hate the U.S. pricing, too — fifty+ bucks — these are sub-$30 wines in the UK. That said, if I’m really honest with myself, they’re probably worth it at U.S. pricing; it’s just a bit tough to take since I cut my teeth on these wines at much lower price points.

Mondavi Napa Cab
Saxum everything I’m offered
Liquid Farm White Hill, Golden Slope, the rose and Four
Quivet Kenefick cabernet, Las Madres Syrah
Myriad Napa cab, 3 twins Cab and Las Madres Syrah
Snowden reserve and the Ranch cabs
Carlisle Syrah- James Berry, Papa’s Block, Rosella’s Zins- SC, DCV, Carlisle, Monte Rosso, Papera
Ridge Lytton, Geyserville, Pagani, Paso, East Bench, Ponzo

I don’t even know you and I’m so proud of you right now!

Other than the chance off bottle from a bad cork, every red, white, and rose I’ve had has tasted fine to me, and all but one have been imported to the US by broadbent. I’m talking about probably dozens of bottles. I’ve never even heard of problems, other than the sometimes extreme bottle variation that I think is more about their production methods than shipping issues.

I’m aware of and not happy about the price difference between here and the UK, but I really think the wines are still well valued at US pricing, as long as you buy on release (library releases are getting very expensive).

CT is my friend in that…

Virage
Jean Edwards
Emh black cat
Pierre paillard

All on the list

There are few that probably would get there but simply did not purchase long enough to make that claim… (becklyn for example, or harbour)

My annual (or nearly annual) core purchases are basically the following:

• Arnot Roberts North Coast, Griffin’s and Clary Syrahs
  • Baudry Domaine, Grezeaux
  • Dupasquier Mondeuse
  • Enderle & Moll Muschelkalk
  • Monier Perreol St. Joseph (basic bottling)
  • Produttori del Barbaresco Normale

Going forward, I’m probably going to make a habit of buying Chandon de Briailles Fourneaux and ESJ Fenaughty Syrah every year (or close to it) and at least one of the Hureau Saumur bottling. Also considering Levet and Jasmin Cote Roties (of which I have some good verticals going right now), but likely won’t be every single year.

It’s been interesting for me to put together this list. It seems that, in general (with an exception or 2), my upper limit for “every year” bottles is about $35-40. I’d love to buy certain Cornas, Cote Rotie and assorted Burgs every year, but at $50+ for those producers that I’d want to buy on an annual basis, I have to be a bit more selective with each vintage.