Wineries in Sonoma and Mendocino counties to visit

I’m going to be spending two days at Family Winemakers. Then I’ve got a couple of days to spend in wine country. I’m thinking about Sonoma and Mendocino counties.
What are some wineries I can visit in those places that won’t be at Family Winemakers? I don’t like cabernets, by the way.

If you’re a fan of acid driven/feminine pinots, I’d suggest giving Kathleen Inman of Inman Family Wines a call.

Copain has a nice new tasting room - Wells’ style has shifted quite a bit in the last few vintages, his '06 syrah could be a ringer for Cote Rotie.

Steve;

PM sent!

I visited Siduri, Scherrer, Hartford, Dutton-Goldfield, and Lynmar this past weekend. Hands down favorite was Lynmar, also excellent tasting at Scherrer, followed by Siduri (problem here is they lump you in with whoever reserves at the same allotted time - ours were true novices). Hartford was worth the trip, though perhaps not entirely memorable, and you could probably skip Dutton (poor glassware, poor wine temperature, lots of going through the motions).

I tried Lynmar at Family Winemakers last year, although they weren’t pouring their best stuff. They’ll be there again this year.
Siduri and Novy will be at Family Winemakers again this year.
Hartford sounds intriguing.

The Lynmar 2007 Terra de Promissio gets my vote so far for Pinot of the vintage. I just loved it. Add to that a truly expert staff right from the moment you make the first call, to the ambiance (beautiful garden setting), perfect glassware (separate stem for each wine), and helpful but unobtrusive staff…for me, the model of a high end tasting experience. It was also fun, on the other end of the spectrum, to taste with Fred Scherrer in his cold winery/warehouse. His 2006 “Big Brother” was impressive, and his 2007 Platt was amazing…but he won’t sell it yet.

Steve,

Send a PM to Russell Bevan. Always a fun tasting.
Sojourn.
Audelssa Estate Winery

I’m Napa/Sonoma bound in October. One of the wineries I’ve made an appointment at is EMH Vineyards. If you look upthread, you may find the information necessary. [highfive.gif]

Lynmar 07 TdP and Bliss Block are both marvelous examples of what can be done with PN in Sonoma Co…

John Holdredge and Rod Berglund at Swan Vineyards are entertaining visits with terrific wines.

In mendo. Phillips-hill. Breggo. Esterlina. Navarro

in sonoma I highly second LynMar. Add Freeman Littorai. Arist. Ceritas

Hartford makes great wines, but my two experiences in the tasting room make it a tough sell for me to go back.

Agreed, Mike. As a rule, I do not publicly criticize another producer’s wines. But when it comes to “presentation,” that is just something that is well within a winery’s control (well, almost always…everyone has a story or two to tell on that score).

Lets just say the Hartford tasting room is the only place in Sonoma Co. where I felt like the guy behind the counter was looking down on me b/c I don’t drive a Range Rover or buy in case quantities.

No worries though, Hartford wines can be sourced at a great discount on WineBid and other auction sites.

I will say that I have been treated very well at Hartford’s tasting room. It’s in a beautiful location in Forestville. That being said, my complaint with their tasting room is that they tend to pour wine that has been opened for 3-4 days. And while that may be fine, I found the wines to seem tired on my last visit. I asked about a certain Chardonnay (Seascape IIRC) and they opened one for me (an 05) and it was wonderful.

FWIW, I knew the wines had been open that long b/c I asked to “read” the labels on each bottle and found the hand written notation for the date the wine was open.

I asked the same about one of their pinots and was told that they can’t do that during the week. Five minutes later a guy walks in and mentions that he is a club member, so the guy behind the counter starts opening all SVD pinots he had available - still not offering us a taste.

I asked the same about one of their pinots and was told that they can’t do that during the week. Five minutes later a guy walks in and mentions that he is a club member, so the guy behind the counter starts opening all SVD pinots he had available - still not offering us a taste.[/

Bad form…