Winefluencers - Best IG follows?

I don’t share your view here, Lasse. Of the people I posted in my reply above, those folks do write narratives and provide context to the Champagne they are drinking. Yes, there is noise on IG and I don’t follow that stuff unless there is effort behind it but I there is nothing boring (at least to me) about the folks I mentioned that take the time to share over there.

1 Like

I’ll also voice disagreement as Frank has.

The beauty of IG is that it’s what you make of it. There absolutely is/are posters that provide excellent content (many have been noted in this thread) and of course there are accounts that aim for glory and hyped bottle shots or accounts of attractive women doing wine101-type stuff.

That said, it’s not CT and that is more than fine. I only post bottles I actually liked and want to possibly talk about with other people.

He really does a great job of describing the history of the wines as well as how they are drinking. We seem to drink a lot of similar stuff and his responses to my comments are spot on with my experiences.

2 Likes

I agree with you Frank. First off I have made great friends from all over the world through IG. Second it allows me to keep up with whats going on around the world with food, music and wine, my three passions. And lastly I learn a ton about wine, restaurants and music. I too don’t like the silly unicorn bottle shots with no context but it is a small price to pay for all I get from IG.

I will give you a trick of mine when I am planning trips. I go to the geo tag for a restaurant I know is great, say Noma, then I check out of the recent posters and look at all of the global foodie types who are in the know and see where else they have eaten. I have discovered some great restaurants this way all over the globe .

Hey Keith and Frank. Very valid comments. Of cause it is what you make of it to some extent. It might also be a symptom of my favorite areas and producers which is mostly centered around Northern Rhone, Jura and Loire. Had a hard time finding people with interesting posts for what i like to drink and buy atleast. Maybe what i search for is just too niche hehe.

But i guess it is also based on ones expectations. I do follow quite a few mentioned in here and without naming anyone then there certainly is a few i don’t think makes super interesting posts. Thats on me following them of cause.

But i am glad other people get joy out of it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very valid as well. But this also shows that it very much depends on your current situation. I am stuck at home with two small kids most of the time so i don’t follow the food scene as much as i used to and so on (and i am based in Copenhagen!).

Your profile is still up. :slight_smile:

And I agree with your latest note. The 2018 Marnes Blanches Trousseau is pretty insanely good. The house has a uniquely great touch with Trousseau.

I’ll admit that I’ve yet to come across strong Loire content, but it’s also not my entire aim. My guess is that there will be UK accounts that will be more what you’re looking for.

For Jura, someone like Volatileacid is excellent and I’m sure his posts will lead to more Jura posters (it’s also a micro niche region). I’m also not much of a Jura drinker, so I’ll let others chime in that know more.

I’m more than certain that if you put some time into it all that you would find it a more rewarding place. There’s always the glory hounds, but those people don’t need to be followed if you don’t want to!

Only deleted the app. Not the account. Not sure if i will post in the future. Maybe… will take a break and see if i miss writing the posts :slightly_smiling_face:.

I do follow Volatileacid and agree that he makes a lots of interesting posts. But maybe you are right and i should just trim down my follow list.

This is how I feel about it as well - for me though I’ve never been too confident in putting my thoughts about wine to paper after the fact. Particularly because I don’t take notes while drinking. It’s always much easier for me in conversation with the wine right in front of me. I’m dipping my toe into at least writing about an impression on my IG posts.

1 Like

Keith, in context of this topic, I recently read a book as part of my consulting practice. Called Insight by Tasha Eurich. She made some good points about social media. As a result, I have made a couple changes to my own IG behavior. One, I am posting much less. My goal is 2x a month, where I can dump photos and some brief notes on everything, to provide some value to those who want to read it. And two, I no longer use the Like button. To me, it’s the lazy way to honor someone’s effort. if I like something that has been posted, I want to make a comment. If they took the time and effort to share their POV on something like Champagne, then I want to honor that effort and give them something in return.

Good thread, thanks for the post

Don’t forget @chris.piti :wine_glass::ok_hand:t2:
Featuring mostly California & Italian recommendations :us::it:

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed my time on IG. I’ve met a bunch of cool people, many in person, and have learned a lot along the way. I do think there are way too many fluff accounts out there, and they dilute the experience. For that reason, I go out of my way to comment (and not just like) posts from accounts I enjoy following with actual content.

Separately, I can’t help but notice that just about every account listed in this thread has been male-owned, which is just unfortunate. Anyone have any good female-run accounts worth checking out? Or perhaps black-run?

Here are a few:

@kerinokeefe requires no introduction around here. Probably THE expert on Italian wine, especially in Piedmont and Tuscany.

@pascalinelepeltier is one of the world’s top sommeliers. Based out of NY. I find decent content in her stories.

@brennaquigley is an expert on soil/terroir and has a podcast.

@idream.o.vino posts a lot about French wines that most here would recognize, but tends to keep it real with wines that are actually (reasonably) affordable.

3 Likes

Jon…

These women…
Yuri Shima
Yoko Bubble

And this man, who I don’t see his race in terms of his profile but since you asked he is African American with a very good perspective on wine and champagne. I really like him and his positivity…

Willie uncorked

How could I forget @willieuncorked… the IG algorithm has been hiding him from me!

1 Like

There are a number of women listed above. I also didn’t name any specific names above but among those I follow closely are:

Our own Sarah Kirschbaum and Suzanne Camhi (who urged me to join IG in the first place!) have regular insightful wine and food posts.

Julia Coney has an IG account and has had some very good content.

I’ll second Allison Slute (cabfrancchronicles). She is awesome, and we have become very wine geek friendly through IG.

Weingut Willie Schaefer is represented by Andrea, who is awesome, and it’s a great way to keep up with the estate.

Jenna Fields for German Wine Society who I think took over Rudi’s growers or a set of them is there. She posts good content.

I also like to follow ele_zanasi as she lives in Tuscany, visits wineries there, and isn’t as commercially focused as some other Italy-focused IG accounts.

1 Like

Someone already compiled a list of the top 200 and Suckling is number 1 [head-bang.gif]

It seems to be somewhat based on number of followers. Obviously top and best are not the same.

I wonder when they complied that list as follower amounts aren’t currently correct on a few that I’m familiar with. A few accounts are on pause right now, dropped off, or focusing on different things.