Wine visits - Chablis, Burgundy, Northern Rhone and Barolo (Update)

Thanks Joshua, I had to pinch myself on some of the appointments. I was fortunate. Can’t wait to go back to Barolo!

Matt, sounds like a wonderful visit to Barolo. Fabulous list of producers.

BTW, Francesca Vajra came to our Country Club’s wine club a couple of years ago and we tasted the 2013 Rivera and Bricco delle Viole, among other wines. All the wines were excellent, but these two were fabulous.

Howard, I bet that was a great event. I was impressed with her as a brand ambassador in the brief time she visited our group.

Yes. She was very impressive and the wines were fabulous.

Hey Matt,

Sorry for the delay…travel has been a crazy for me the last few weeks. Yep, agreed on the reds vs. whites. Amiot: I would have loved to try it at the tasting before purchasing a few bottles. When I pop one I will let you know! What part of Atlanta? Small world…we live over in East Cobb.

Here are few pics of Xavier’s place…and our tasting/food table. That’s me in the blue shirt.
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG

Gus, Thanks for the Gerard pics. Looks like a fun visit. I imagine those wines as being classic/traditional style. What was your take? How was his Condrieu?

East Cobb is close to where I grew up - Alpharetta. As a kid in the late 70’s and 80’s it was a tiny little town. Crazy to see it today. I lived my entire life in Atlanta metro before moving to California in early 2012.

It’s a small world. I went to high school in Alpharetta and a quick look at the index of a yearbook shows a Matt Mauldin who was a freshman when I was a senior. I’m not sure if you know, but they tore down the old MHS last year and are building a new STEM high school in its place.

Small world indeed. Yep, I heard about that. My older sister went to the open house they had before tearing it down, as did some of my friends that I saw on Facebook when it happened. I’m sure we probably know some of the same people.

Went to both a couple of weeks ago. This sums it up perfectly. The tasting at Bouchard was conducted by a young lady who had been an assistant winemaker. They have a very comfortable room at Bouchard for tasting the wines (you can actually sit down!!!) I asked for a specific wine while there (couple of bottles of Chassagne En Remille) and nicked 3 750’s…Heartily endorse both spots. Beware of shipping costs for the Cote d’Or imports. Not cheap by any means but at least you save on the VAT tax and this eases the pain quite a bit.

I guess this is the Georgia thread. I was born and grew up in Savannah. My sister lives in Sandy Springs.

It really is a small world. My office is in Alpharetta near the new-ish Avalon shopping area. It really is incredibile the growth in Alpharetta and Atlanta in general.

We tasted through the following:

2017 Viognier - Our starter wine of the tasting. Daily drinker. Fresh with some florals. Not as complex as the Condrieu’s and rightfully so.
2017 Condrieu L’Arbuel - Definitely a step up from the VdP. Nose - Floral and expressive. Palate - Stone fruit with a great mineral finish. Can easily handle a few years of cellaring. (Purchased)
2017 Condrieu Côte Chatillion - His flagship Condrieu. Fantastic wine. Floral and expressive with more stone fruit and minerality. A different level from the L’Arbuel. Easily the groups favorite of the whites. Even though both Condrieu’s clocked in above 14% alcohol they were light on the palate. Probably 3-5 years cellaring potential. (Purchased)

2016 Côte-Rotie - If you are looking for a great transition from California Syrah to Northern Rhone this is a fantastic example. Dark. Red fruits. Elegant with great lightness. Good for mid-term cellaring. (Purchased)
2015 Côte-Rotie La Landonne - Wow. I think folks on board have written about this wine ad nauseam. I can’t imagine what this wine will drink like in 8-10 years. Best wine of our Northern Rhone visits (Gilles/Gonon) (Purchased)

All wines were PnP. Looking forward to trying these wines when they arrive to see how they evolve in the glass with additional airtime and over the next few years…

Hope this helps!

Found a few more photos:

One with his mother at the local Co-Op
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG

Too funny. Sandy Springs is about 10 minutes from my house. I have now have lived longer in Georgia (~26 years) than my home state of Virginia. Savannah is a great town. We traveled there quite a few times when I was stationed in Augusta, especially for the St. Patrick’s Day festivities.

And, to complete the circle, while I now live in Maryland, I went to law school many years ago in Charlottesville.

Thanks for the notes, Gus!
There are definitely some new spots I’d like to check out in Alpharetta, but time is always so short when I visit.

Howard, you should definitely check out Corks and Caps if in Sandy Springs.

Howard: I know C-Ville well…had many friends and family attend UVA either for undergrad or grad school.

Matt: My pleasure. I haven’t been to Corks and Caps yet but will check it out. I usually purchase online or through a small below the radar place here in Atlanta called Fine Wine Connection.

Great stuff, thanks for posting.

I would say that you drink the Viognier while waiting the Côte Châtillon. That would take atleast couple of years. Usually they are really aproachable after 2 or 3 years but they can last easily 10 years. Last year I tasted (his father’s) 2001 Côte Châtillon and it was still in great shape. The gras and excotic fruit were gone being more savoury and complex. Just depends what you are looking for. I don’t mind my Condrieus with some age.

Although have to say that his basic Viognier can age too. 2017 I was lucky to have a taste of his first bottling of Viognier (2006 vintage) and it was remarkable lively and fresh.

Thanks. Is that a wine store or a restaurant?

Mikko: Of course. Good point. I also viewed the L’Arbuel as nearer term drinker versus the Côte.

Howard: It’s a wine store.