Wine visits - Chablis, Burgundy, Northern Rhone and Barolo (Update)

Thanks Matt for the new posts; I assume Barolo is next?
Please keep them coming, following with interest–and thanks also for your extensive response to my questions above.

Joshua, I arrange all of the visits myself. Typically, I research target visits and compile a list, and then email my top targets and keep working on it until I have the itinerary down like I want. It can be tricky, as response times vary (if at all). For instance, I got an email last minute (while in France) that one of my top targets could take me, however I’d already committed elsewhere so I had to graciously decline. I typically use Google translate, and I do email from my business ‘ITB’ email address, however I make clear that it is a personal visit and I often will put some context in the email as to why I’m interested in visiting and/or what I’m interested in learning. I definitely try to buy some wine on my visits, however this time a number of the places I visited had no wine to sell. If it’s a paid tour, then I may or may not buy wine. This time around, with Laroche, Bouchard and Drouhin, I simply signed up for one of their regular tour offerings - I’d visited Burgundy before and had not ever gone to any of the larger houses, so I thought that would be good to do. With Méo-Camuzet, I booked the AirBnB and while communicating on the booking was able to arrange for the tour. I truly enjoy planning it out and doing it DIY, and the research involved is a great learning exercise, so I don’t ask favors with any of my ITB colleagues who may have a connection.[/quote}

Three suggestions about getting into wineries in Burgundy:

1. Growers and merchants - Bourgogne wines Tons of names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of domaines in Burgundy complete with who speaks English and who takes visitors (which is not always correct).

2. Join a Burgundy group on Facebook. Become friends with some Burgundy producers who are there, esp. up and coming ones. Post tasting notes when you taste wines from these domaines - you will be surprised at how much esp. young and coming producers like it when you praise their wines publicly. But, don’t lie.

3. Go to the Paulee Grand Tastings or other events when they have them in NYC or SF. Try talking some to producers there - no, I am not talking about producers like Rousseau, etc., that are typically mobbed, but the other ones who are more available. Let the ones who you like know how much you like their wines and ask about visiting them.

Thanks guys for the comments. Great advice from Howard on connecting with Burgundy producers and strategizing seeking appointments. Up and coming producers is a great way to lay out your visits. If you can grab a popular domaine to top it off, then you’re going to have a great itinerary. On the Drouhin vs Bouchard, my tours were two different levels of wines. Drouhin was village and 1er Cru, while Bouchard was 1er and Grand Cru - so higher level wines at Bouchard. That said, based on what I paid for each I thought the Drouhin was a better value for the money. The level of wines tasted at Bourchard was well worth it, however I wished they would have provided upgraded stemware for that level of tasting (I did the upgraded tasting there). Wines are certainly excellent at both.

Yes, Barolo is next. First time there and it was a spectacular day. The visits were to Massolino, Vajra, Rinaldi and Burlotto. I hope to get that posted next weekend.

Hope the visits were a fabulous as this sounds.

Splendid report, Matt—immensely appreciated. Bummer indeed about non-visit to Droin (glad to read of the gracious response), and good on you for putting it behind you and getting the most out of the rest of your trip

We get some Genot-Boulanger in here once in a while and I’ve liked the wines. The Meo Clos St. Philibert has been stunning to me in 14 and 15 and an incredible QPR these days. The 15 Meo Corton Charlie (I’m opening the first of 3 bottles this Saturday) was my WOTY last year.

And yes, the tours at Drouhin and Bouchard are fun!

Best

Mike

Matt,

Great report! We just returned from Europe last week and had a similar itinerary - Burgundy, Rhone then over to Piemonte. We overlapped on Amiot, Bouchard and Drouhin (ITB arranged) in Burgundy, Gilles in Rhone, and Burlotto in Piemonte. Where we differ…Y. Clerget, MC Thiriet, Marchand-Tawse, and Jadot (also ITB) in Burgundy. Xavier Gerard and Pierre Gonon in Rhone. Paolo Scavino and Giacomo Conterno in Piemonte.

If it wasn’t for the advice from folks on this board especially Charlie F., Howard C., and Howard D. not sure it would have been the unbelievable trip it turned out to be…thank you again, gent’s.

Wow, what a fantastic report! I wish I could have traveled along with you!

Glad I could be of help. I have tasted a few wines from MC Thiriet but have not tasted there. How was that visit. She seems like a very promising young producer.

It was good but she had to run after about 75 minutes to meet with Steen from WineHog. Very passionate and humble. Her place is tiny. We tasted through all of her 2018’s except for the Rosé. Our favorites were her new wines - Volnay Village Grand Champs (still going through Malo; beautiful color), Vezelay Village Chardonnay (malo is finished) and a wine from outside of Burgundy - Savagnin Arbois. This last one was really interesting…had almost a Sav Blanc feel to it. She mentioned she is bottling everything this summer but would have preferred to wait until the end of the year.

A few pics:
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

Gus, sounds like you had a great trip as well. We overlapped at some good spots. I really enjoyed visiting these three regions together, and hope to do it again sometime. Looking forward to the final update on Barolo soon, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the update. Did not realize she now has some Volnay. Should be interesting. [cheers.gif]

We did. Agree on your notes on Gilles - really great wines. Highly recommend a visit with Xavier Gerard for your next visit. Xavier and Guillaume are buds. The visit with Gerard was by far our favorite of the entire trip. We met his mother and father. Had lunch with Xavier while we tasted through his wines. His mother made coffee for us and Xavier was just an overall funny and great guy. He has a new place for tastings/cave/space that’s going to open in July.

We were somewhat flipped on the Bouchard vs. Drouhin tasting. We paid for the Virtuoso experience and it sounds like you did the Prodigio - correct? While at Drouhin it was a ITB tasting with a Clos de Mouches Rouge as the top flight. We definitely favored the whites at Bouchard over Drouhin and Reds at Drouhin over Bouchard. We also had a Jadot ITB tasting which was by far the better of three ‘big’ places we visited except for the really cool tour of the cellars which was worth the price of admission.

Lastly, we enjoyed our visit with Chantal at Pierre Amiot as well. Our experience was very consistent with yours (Thanks again, Howard!). Really great wines for unbelievable prices. Did you possibly taste the Charmes Chambertin? We didn’t but did purchase a few bottles.

Gus

Of course. Also, thanks for the tip on Cote d’Or Imports. Great folks to work with and we expect most of our wine to arrive in the US any day now. I was expecting them to hold the wines in France until it’s cooler here in Atlanta but they reassured me the actual transit from France to the US to our house is in climate controlled transportation. champagne.gif

Gus-

I’m right there with you on Xavier Gerard. I was in contact with him during my planning and he offered me a time, it just didn’t work out with the plans on my end. I’ll definitely keep him on the radar for next time.

At Bouchard we were the same as you - Virtuoso - 5 1er’s and 3 GC. Sounds like you had a nice experience at Drouhin - they didn’t have CdM on our tour… I had a similar take on the wines as you did. I loved the whites at Bouchard. Thought the reds were a little tight, or needed larger-bowled stems to show their best.

At Amiot, the only grand cru was the Clos de la Roche… Would have loved to try the Charmes Chambertin!

Hope all is well in Marietta. I’m an Atlanta-native!

Matt

May 10 - Barolo

We arrived in Barolo by way of Turin. A recent Spring blast of wintry weather had given the Alps a fresh coating of snow and the bright sunny day had their snow-capped peaks on full display. This was our first visit to Barolo, and it displayed larger-than-life beauty that reminded me of being in the Grand Canyon or Big Sur for the first time. Pictures don’t do it justice – the vine-covered hills are larger and grander than they appear in photos. This was a one-day Barolo immersion visiting producers covering both major soil types – generally speaking, Helvetian to the east (Serralunga d’Alba) and Tortonian to the west and northwest (Barolo, La Morra and Verduno). The producers visited tended toward the traditional-influenced end of the stylistic spectrum.

Massolino (Azienda Agricola Vigna Rionda)

Massolino is in the hilltop village of Serralunga d’Alba, with panoramic views of much of the Barolo region from its patio by the tasting room. Massolino was founded in 1896 by Giovanni Massolino, who was the first to bring electricity to the Serralunga d’Alba village. Subsequent generations helped to expand both the estate’s vineyards (Margheria, Parafada, Vigna Rionda and Parussi) and the region (co-founding the Consortium for the Defense of Barolo and Barbaresco in 1934). Today it is run by Franco and Roberto Massolino, both oenologists. Vineyards are in the Serralunga d’Alba area and sit between 1050-1200 feet above sea level. Production uses traditional methods in a recently renovated and very modern cellar. Fermentation vessels include oak casks, concrete and stainless steel. Barolo is fermented with macerations of up to 25-30 days for single-cru bottlings, with aging exclusively in Slavonian oak casks. Any barriques are used exclusively for Chardonnay.

Our guide was Alessandro, who gave an impressive tour – starting with an overview of Barolo on the patio with the vineyard landscape as a backdrop – including detailed explanations of crus, soils, climate and exposures. This part of the visit alone was invaluable as a first-time visitor. From there it was a walk through the renovated cellars beneath the village and on to the tasting.

The tasting was an overview of Massolino’s overall program. Starting with 2017 Langhe Riesling, which is grown within the Barolo DOCG – very precise and citrusy with a mineral spine, gaining a lush texture and richness through the palate – very nice. 2017 Langhe Chardonnay is grown in vineyards around Serralunga d’Alba and is fermented and aged in a combination of cement, barriques and larger barrels without mL – showing tropical fruit and leesy richness with some decent cut through the palate, not my favorite style of Chardonnay but well-made. The 2017 Dolcetto d’Alba is fermented and briefly aged in cement – showing leather, cherry and flowers with generous texture and spices. 2018 Barbera d’Alba also fermented and aged in cement, shows fresh berries, spices and flowers with soft structure and juicy acidity.

The 2017 Langhe Nebbiolo comes from both Nebbiolo grown outside of the DOCG as well as from declassified and young vines from within Barolo – showing black cherry, rosemary and dried violets, supple and rich with a generous middle. 2015 Barolo comes from 4 crus in Serralunga d’Alba and 1 cru in Castiglione Falleto with extraction for 15 days – showing rose petal, dried herb, black cherry, iron and eastern spices; showing fine firm structure and good overall depth and length. 2014 Barolo Margheria – according to Alessandro, Margheria shows most elegantly young among their vineyards due to a higher percentage of sand in the soils. Extraction is shorter than their other single crus, at 15-20 days. The 2014 showed good overall complexity – black cherry, star anise, dried florals, savory spices with elegant weight, density and fine tannins. We finished with a crisp and rich 2018 Moscato d’Asti.

The Riesling surprised and stood out here leading up to the Barolos. The Barolos were very nice, showing appealing complimentary elegance, weight and firmness.

G.D. Vajra

G.D. Vajra is in the village of Vergne at 1300 feet of elevation within the Barolo commune. The estate is fourth generation with the winery being established in the early 70’s by Aldo Vaira. They are known for high-elevation elegant Barolo such as the Bricco delle Viole, as well as producing a great variety of other serious Piemonte wines. Farming is organic, and production is traditional (up to 50-day extraction on the cru Barolos and aging in Slavonian oak). Reading about G.D. Vajra I got a sense of the enthusiasm and passion that the family exudes for Piemonte and their estate.

We did a tour as part of a larger group, touring the cellars and sitting for a tasting of their basic lineup. Francesca Vaira stopped in during the tasting and interacted with the group, telling stories about the wines. Francesca was very gracious and engaging however our group was kind of a dud (three other couples who skewed younger than us – we’re both 45), which dragged the experience down a little (I’m guessing a better-engaged group might have gotten to taste the Bricco delle Viole). I tried to elevate the group, to little avail!

The wines tasted were 2017 Langhe Riesling – Vajra was first to plant Riesling in Barolo in 1985, an Alsace clone from a cool site with eastern exposure on sandy soils – very interesting coming on the heels of the Massolino Riesling, showing lush citrus, slate, white pepper and florals with nice mineral lift on the palate – generous and elegant – excellent. 2018 Rosabella Rosato – Nebbiolo, Barbara and Dolcetto – excellent crisp fruit and mineral-driven Rosé. 2018 Langhe Nebbiolo Claré J.C. employs a short carbonic maceration fermentation and shows supple cherry and floral notes with a bright and crisp structure and enough weight to add richness. The 2017 Dolcetto d’Alba Coste & Fossati had dark brooding serious structure with black cherry, earth, dried flowers and herb notes. The 2017 Barbera d’Alba was similar in its surprising structure and seriousness, showing plum, blackberry and root spices, with good depth and concentration. 2015 Barolo Albe is a blend of high elevation vineyards, the bottling is macerated for 25 days on average, seeing between 30-36 months of Slavonian oak aging – showing black cherry, tar, dried florals, licorice, rosemary and spices with an elegant palate, nice middle density, fine tannin and good gripping length – excellent QPR.

I’m impressed with the diversity of the lineup and the careful quality attention paid to the non-Barolo wines – each was distinct and very enjoyable. The Barolo Albe looks like a QPR champion.

Giuseppi Rinaldi

Next up was an amazing visit to revered Giuseppi Rinaldi in the village of Barolo. I’d communicated with Carlotta Rinaldi who’d graciously offered us the time, however vineyard duty called, and she was tied up applying copper treatments. Out hostess was Annalisa Rinaldi, who was wonderful in making us feel welcome and telling stories about the wines and her late husband while we toured and tasted.

The estate was founded in 1916. The late Giuseppi Rinaldi was famed for his adherence to traditional methods of Barolo production – organic farming, indigenous yeasts, fermentation in old oak vats with limited temperature control, long macerations, hand punch downs, aging in old Slavonian casks for three-plus years and blending of crus. The wines are now grown and made by his daughters Carlotta (agronomist) and Marta (oenologist). According to Annalisa their vineyards are in the Brunate, Le Coste, Ravera, Bussia, Cannubi and San Lorenzo crus.

We toured and tasted in the old cellar among the ancient fermentation vats and oak casks. The tasting was the 2017 Langhe Nebbiolo, 2015 Barolo Tre Tine and 2015 Barolo La Coste. The Langhe Nebbiolo showed notes of crushed stone, savory spices, rose hips and braised fig, with beautiful texture – rich and elegant, and fine structure and depth. The 2015 Barolos showed beautifully. The Tre Tine according to Annalisa comes from the Ravera, Le Coste, Cannubi and San Lorenzo crus – showing explosive aromatics of sandalwood, spices, rose hips, fig and star anise; seamless with an airy density with exotic depth, very fine tannins with great elegance and a big complex finish. The Brunate has at least 80% Brunate fruit with the balance coming from Le Coste – showing exotic aromatics of eastern spices, complex florals, dried herbs and fig fruit; with seamless and elegant layers, tons of depth and length, with very fine melted-stone notes to the tannins. This was an amazing tasting and experience.

Comm. G.B. Burlotto

The final stop was in the hilltop village of Verduno at G.B. Burlotto. We were welcomed by Cristina Burlotto at the front gate and led into a scenic patio that made its way into the historic structure – a grand Langhe farmhouse with antique appointments. G.B. Burlotto’s history dates to the mid-19th Century when G.B. Burlotto rose to prominence as one of the most famous winemakers in the world. Most recently under the winemaking of descendent Fabio Alessandria the estate has risen again to great acclaim.

Burlotto owns 30 acres, 24 of which are in the relative cool-climate commune of Verduno, including in the famed Monvigliero Cru. A portion of the other 6 acres are in Cannubi. Farming is practicing organic. Fermentations are with native yeasts and take place in large oak vats without temperature control, with use of whole clusters (depending on the wine) and extended extractions for the reds – from 5 days with Barbera to 60 days for Monvigliero. Monvigliero is foot-treaded and fermented completely whole-cluster. Aging is in 35 to 50 hL Slavonian oak casks. According to Cristina, they practice a very traditional philosophy and “produce according to their own idea.” I.e. not for market. We toured the cellars and then tasted in a study in the farmhouse.

The tasting began with the 2018 Langhe Sauvignon Blanc Viridis – which showed notes of lemon curd, white pepper, earthy stone and wheat straw along with pyrazines, with richness on the palate, nice weight in the middle, good acidity and mineral high-tones on the finish. The 2017 Verduno Pelaverga – notes of cherry fruit, black tea, white pepper and pressed flowers, with nice acidity and brightness along with easy structure. The 2017 Barbera d’Alba Aves is aged in tonneau – showing plum, spices and pressed flowers with richness on the palate and nice density, medium tannins and ample acidity, good depth and serious in style.

The Barolos were 2015’s, which Christina indicated was a good vintage for them. The 2015 Barolo Acclivi blends from multiple crus in Verduno – showing intense aromatics of cherry and persimmon fruit, black tea, iron, pressed flowers and exotics spices. Very complex and elegant on the palate with beautifully seamless density, and appealing dried herb notes emerging, well-framed with strong acidity and firm-fine tannins and finishing with full length. The 2015 Barolo Monvigliero was packed with notes of tobacco, leather, fig & berry, crushed stone, dried herbs and savory spices. Big presence on the palate, with great silky and seamless elegance, gaining weight and intensity while gliding effortlessly on the mid-palate. Well-structured with ample complementary acidity and broad-round tannins. Great depth and a full expressive finish. I’m still thinking of this one – what a great finale!

Dinner in Turin was Stefano Fanti al Ristorante Circolo dei Lettori. Excellent traditional Piemonte cuisine in the Cicolo dei Lettori, a cultural center in the historic city center.

That’s all folks, thanks for reading!

Matt, great report and photos! As noted in the Lelektsoglou thread we were probably close to crossing paths with you on the 8th and looks like we were in Cornas at the same time as you on the 9th.

Ran into the same issue on the May 8th VE Holiday in France. We weren’t able to make any private visit bookings that day. Made use of a couple of apps and noted on the ruedesvignerons app that Ferraton was open for tasting that day, so salvaged the afternoon by making a short-notice, on line appointment. The walk along the Rhone in the wind and rain after that visit was short-lived and not as much fun. Fortunately that was the only day of rain for us.

Thanks again for a great report! Hopefully I will find the time to do the same.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]

Steve

Nice trip Matt.

Great travelog Steve. You’ve hit all of my favorite places.

Steve, that was the most miserable cold rain I’d felt in a long time. Glad you found an appointment. Ferraton’s not a bad consolation at all. I’ve enjoyed your pictures on Instagram and would love to read your thoughts on your visits sometime. We literally were right around the corner in the Northern Rhone. Cheers!

Thanks for the Barolo notes, Matt,
Equals of your previous ones. Rinaldi and Burlotto–doesn’t get much better than that, and Vajre ain’t half bad either.