Wine travelogue: Piemonte, Burgundy, Alsace, Champagne, Paris (new 4/29)

All those wonderful food pictures from Alsace and no choucroute garnie? That’s just wrong.

I haven’t been to Alsace in several years but this really makes me want to go back soon. Thanks for great descriptions and beautiful pictures.

Our experience at Trimbach was sort of a flip of yours. We were scheduled for a limited English speaking visit but a large group of French sommeliers was visiting at the same time, so we were offered the opportunity to join their tour. Absolutely no English spoken but we understood everything being explained and tasted through a huge number of bottles. I was pleasantly surprised to find the sommeliers were genuinely interested in our thoughts on the various wines, to the extent we could explain and they could understood them.

Many, many thanks for this outstandingly interesting travelogue!

Thanks for posting. I really enjoy your travel threads.

You are killing me, Alan. Thread of the year here, as was the case with your northern Rhone thread last year. One could never write the words to convey what you do with your photographs. [thumbs-up.gif]

Thanks! Yes, The Publican, right next door to Bissoh. It’s the first establishment inside the ring road on Rue Maufoux.

Shame to hear! Ostertag makes a rather good Pinor Noir from his Fronholz vineyard; there’s hope for Alsatian reds yet :slight_smile:

Looking forward to updates on Champagne and Paris! My dining experience in Paris was solid but not impressive for the price; would love to see how it’s actually done. champagne.gif

Thanks. Look forward to your Champagne notes.

By the way, we were at Wistub in 2011. Had a wonderful dinner there.

I’m not big on emoticons so think of Garth and Wayne when they meet Alice Cooper.

Great thread. Thanks for posting Alan.

Wonderful pictures and narrative. Thanks Alan.

Great pictures Alan - I’m really enjoying following along on your trip.

A quick stop off in Champagne

Finally got some pictures uploaded, so finishing off the trip. From Alsace, you pretty much have to pass by or through Champagne to get to Paris, so stopping there is a no-brainer. Having recently been chatting with Frank Murray about his Champagne explorations, he recommended a small producer he had been talking to, so I contacted Frédéric Minière, who was happy to have us visit. Champagne Minière is located in the small village of Hermonville, about 8 miles northwest of Reims, in the far northern reaches of Champagne. Frederic and his brother, Rodolphe took over the estate from their father in 2007, and started down the path of bottling their own estate wines, from 8Ha of vines that had until then gone to other producers. From their web site:

Grapevines have been cultivated in Hermonville since the 12th century. We are the fourth generation to work on the estate. Founded in 1919 by our great-grandfather Alfred, he created his own wine press and sold his wines to the merchants of Reims. The estate has grown extensively over the years. After completing our winemaking studies and several years of professional experience, we took over the estate in 2005 and decided to produce our own wines in oak barrels so as to promote the values of our exceptional heritage.

With almost 8Ha of land, our vineyards are primarily located in Hermonville, whose magnificent, south-east facing hillsides are flooded with sunshine. The upper hills are covered in sand-loam soil while the lower areas are loam, clay and sand. These well-draining soils contain high levels of minerals which force roots downwards to feed the vines deep within the soil and saturate the sap with mineral elements.

Frederic speaks decent english, and was very welcoming, spending a couple of hours with us touring the cellar, tasting barrel samples (a first for me in Champagne, and not an easy task at all), and opening a few bottles in his tasting room. The wines are very fresh and crisp, though obviously young. A producer to watch for sure.

Vineyards in Hermonville

Champagne Minière

Yeast and sediment collecting in the bottle during riddling

Frédéric Minière in his cellar

Bottle aging

Minière tasting room

Old and new

As we were leaving, with a few more bottles to pack, Frederic recommended a restaurant owned by a friend of his, so after making the obligatory stop at the Caves du Forum wine shop, we wandered by Restaurant Le Crypto. Of course they weren’t open yet (only Americans eat before 7:30), so we gave them our name and took the short walk over to Reims Cathredal

I feel sorry for the poor guy in the middle, forced to hold his own severed head.

Le Crypto

Veal medallions, and some amazing olive oil and herb mashed potatoes

Small, good energy bistro, excellent, simply prepared food, decent BTG wine list

The next morning we had arranged to stop in and taste at Vilmart, a favorite of ours

Random blonde tasting Champagne

Barrel room. On a previous visit we had a nice tour of the entire facility, but I think you probably have to request this specially, otherwise you’ll just get a regular tasting appointment where they set you up with the lineup of wines, and let you taste through on your own.

I like the stems they use here

This tree-lined road driving around Champagne was stunning in person

We’ll always have Paris

Well, the wine trip is over, but I’ll throw this in here for people who wanted to know what we ate and drank in Paris. Nothing overly fancy, I’m just a simple unfrozen caveman tourist, looking for interesting food and wine.

Easy drive into Paris, drop off wife and luggage at hotel, get quizzical looks from proprietor as I unload box after box of wine that needs to be consolidated and repacked, return car to Hertz, pleasant walk back to hotel.

We stayed at Hotel de Fleurie in the 6th, because, well, I love Fleurie! On a narrow, one way street, just off Boulevard Saint-Germain, good location to get everywhere, old style, but comfy enough.

I do love Paris, no other city like it

Dinner that evening was at Semilla, on Rue de Seine

If there’s pumpkin anything, she gets it

Roasted beet salad for me

If there’s veal, I get it

I believe this was Salmon

Online pictures of Semila looked a little cold and sterile, but it was warm, friendly, and energetic, a wonderful meal, and highly recommended

Semilla kitchen

Walking off dinner

Macarons are the “in” thing at the moment

The most modern store we saw all trip

The next day we had reservations for lunch, so time to wander around and do some sightseeing. Don’t think I can remember seeing no line to get into Notre Dame

Don’t know why this makes me think “How do you solve a problem like Maria?”

I expect this kind of honor from my family when I’m gone

Everybody’s working for this…

Strolling over to the 11th for lunch, the cell phone data plan paid for itself in being able to locate the nearest public toilet. We also stumbled on the huge farmers market at Place de la Bastille, which runs Thursdays and Sundays. Nearly canceled our lunch reservation.

Almost cut my hair
Happened just the other day

Feed your head, feed your head

Chernobyl Medical Center

We ate at Septime back in 2011, a few months after they opened, and just after they got written up in the NY Times as a hot new Paris restaurant. It was a very enjoyable dinner back then, so we wanted to go back this trip. Of course, between then and now it has a *, and is more difficult to get reservations. Fortunately, they also do lunch (at half the price of dinner), and (unlike dinner) you can get a lunch reservation online - if you do it at just the right time, 22 days in advance. Lunch is a prix fixe menu, with two starters, and a choice of main course. We ordered from the interesting and affordable BTG menu, but I saw a number of bottles being ordered as well from their broader wine list. We love this restaurant.

Raw Scallops with hazelnuts

Chantarelles with red escarole

Septime kitchen

Come and get it!

Vanilla gelato with hazelnut paste

Paris afternoon scenes

I’m still trying to understand this one

Chocolate ice cream at Berthillon. It’s the best, Jerry, the best.

Dinner that night was at Juveniles wine bar, a place we’d heard about for years but never tried. Pleasant, acceptable food, OK but unremarkable wine list. Fine, but no hurry to get back.

Maybe should have gone here, lots of people waiting for dinner at 9pm

Or here, Relais de l’Entrecôte

But not here

Cylon cruise on the Seine

We were told that THE historically classic breakfast spot was Ladurée, so on our last full day breathing French air, we headed there. Definitely throw-back, old time, but fun to do once

French version of Eggs Benedict

French Toast. In France they just call it toast…

After breakfast, you can head back downstairs and pick from some of the most expensive macarons and pastries in Paris

And a few more Paris scenes

Le Jardin du Luxembourg

Basilique Sainte-Clotilde

Last supper was at Les 110 de Taillevent, baby sister of the famed ** restaurant, whose name stems from it’s 110 wine by the glass offering (and also quite a bit more affordable, though the food, wine, and service were excellent). As usual, we are the first diners to arrive, and given our choice of tables.

The last time I will have to risk death standing in the middle of a busy Paris street to photograph a stupid restaurant

Open, open, open…

After almost three weeks of dining around Italy and France, time to show some restraint. We’ll just have all the starters.

And the wines we drank

So long Paris

Bravo, Alan!

Nice posts and great pictures! Was this just with your phone camera?

Thinking about our next wine trip already, would love to do Alsace but it seems like Burgundy and Champagne are close by as well. How far apart are they by car?

Such an amazing journey captured in so many fabulous photos. Thanks for sharing and providing many re-stims for past visits to many of the same areas, places and regions as well as new discoveries worthy of future visits.

Brian,

I recently drove from Paris to Alsace, passing through Champagne.

The wine region of Alsace is lengthy from north to south and Champagne is even bigger so the time distance by car between the two depends on specifically where you are going.

But from Reims to Colmar is 3.5 - 4 hours.

Do not speed as the autorotes have cameras for dishing out speed tickets, not patrol cars.

Brian, yes, most of the pictures were taken with my 6S iphone. I often carry a Sony RX100 as well, so a few of those are probably scattered in.

Champagne is about 2 hour drive from Paris, Beaune about 3.5 hrs, and Alsace 5+. If you have to limit yourself to a day or overnight trip somewhere, then Champagne is probably the best choice. If you have more time, then I wouldn’t let the travel time dictate where you go, decide that on your interests. We were driving our whole time in France, but if you’re only going one place and returning, it can make more sense to train there and back, and get a rental car at the train station.

kunitoraya is one of my favorites…open sundays as well! definitely a worth a visit.