Wine to cellar for kids

What are some wines you are cellaring to share with your kids?

I’m about to be a father this September so I’d have to say Kinsman Eades.

The best thing to cellar is vintage grand marque champagne. It won’t be released till well after vintage date so you won’t have to buy it so early, and 21 years is usually the perfect time to drink the bottles. You generally won’t have to buy it until your kid is 8-10.

12 Likes

How about 12 pack sampler of De Negoce

9 Likes

My kids are on the downhill slide to 40, Daughter 37, Son 36 and neither has much of an interest in wine. I do have a stash of ‘87s in case my Daughter suddenly has a hankering for older wine.

‘87 Dunn Napa
‘87 Dunn Howell Mtn
‘87 Rochioli Neoma’s Reserve Cab
‘87 Spottswoode
‘87 Togni

All I have for my Son is an ‘88 Ravenswood Cooke

1 Like

Vintage Port and some California Cabs for our son and daughter. 1994 and 1997 were good years for both. And a few Sauternes from 1997.

I almost bought some 87 Dunn HM for my birth year, but decided Id rather spend $200/btl on my babys birth year

1 Like

Not sure if this is serious or a dad joke

Fyi, the OP doesn’t really care. They just needed enough posts to list their de Negoce on Commerce Corner

5 Likes

100%

2 Likes

Awesome. My wife and I love Becklyn might stock up on that. My daughter actually loves to smell the wine from my glass. She loves going into my wine cabinet and pick wine out.

What can you get for De Negoce secondhand? Seems like everyone who is interested in it has bought an ocean of it from De Negoce. How steeply do you have to discount it to find buyers?

And then shipping would be a pretty large percentage of the cost.

Just curious if anyone wants to share about that.

1 Like

Preferably in magnums

I totally agree! I actually asked that exact question to the OP in one of their numerous threads that they started but i doubt I’ll get a response

I’m looking at getting rid of wine right now, as I’m not drinking as much right now, and have second kid on the way. I know I would take a loss but sometimes that happens.

It’s probably not worth it; I sent all my “daily drinkers” to winebid in the last couple years and just gave away the ones they wouldn’t take.

1 Like

too many to list.
But certainly some birth year wines. They are 1986 and 1989 and one son in law is 1990

My grand nephew’s birth year is 2014 and while I bought more 2014s than those on this list, here’s what I purchased for him:

Burgundy:
Arlaud Bonnes Mares - 2
Chevillon Les Cailles - 2
Faiveley Clos du Corton - 2
Gouges Les St George - 2
Mugneret- Gibourg Chaignots - 6 (well, some might disappear before he gets them)
Grivot Boudots - magnum. (I bought 750s too but they might also disppear)
Grivot Beaux Monts - 3
H-N Beaumonts - 3
Trapet Chambertin - 1

Bordeaux:
Domaine de Chevalier, Ducru, Pichon Lalande, Haut-Bailly and Leoville Barton - 2 each plus a mag of the DDC
Climens - 4

USA
Monte Bello - magnum
Rhys Apline pinot - magnum

Also Selbach-Oster Schmitt - 3

His sister’s birth year is 2018 and for her I have:

Burgundy:
Boillot Clos de la Moucheres - magnum
Boillot Latricieres - 2
Faiveley Clos du Corton - 3
Faiveley LSG - 3
Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux - 2
H-N Clos Vougeot - 2
H-N Beaumonts - 2
Lafouge Auxey-Duresess La Chapelle - magnum
Voillot Pommard Rugiens and Pezerolles and Volnay Champans - 2 each

Bordeaux:

Carmes Haut-Brion - 6
DDC and Calon-Segur - magnums

Loire:

Huet Le Mont, Le Haut-Lieu and Clos du Bourg 1ere Trie - 2 each

USA:

Rhys pinot Alpine, Alpine Hillside and Horseshoe - magnums
Monte Bello - magnum

Germany:

Various VDP auction wines -
Clemens-Busch PM lange goldkap - 375s - 3 (and the regular BA in 375 - 2) - i also bought a bunch of the auction kabinett but doubt I will be able to keep my hands off them
Fritz Haag spatlese - 4
Lauer Ayler Kupp lange gka - 375 - 3 and the spatlese - 6
Prum WS spatlese - 8
Willi Schaefer spatlese - 6 (also the regular GD auslese #11 - 3)
Schloss Saarstein gka - 375s - 3
Von Schubert Abtsberg kabinett -9
Zilliken spatlese - 6

Also plenty of non-auction mosels - these were bought for her, others might be left over for her too -
Selbach’s Rotlay and Anrecht - 3 each
Richter WS auslese *** - 375s - 3

Of course, their mother is a wine geek, so I have to hold them for years so they make it to the kids :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have come to the realization that birth year wines are best to be opened during birthday parties as your kids age, and should any be left once they gain interest in wine, then gift away. Otherwise pull those corks and enjoy! They might get into wine, but not like aged wine. Then what? You have a bunch of wine you could have opened during birthdays but didn’t.

3 Likes

The 87 Dunn HM was one of my favorites for a very long time, and I had it many times over the last decade. Last year we got our hands on a pristine magnum with known perfect storage and paired it with flannery Jorge’s. I’m sorry to say, but I think that Wine has started its decline and it wasn’t as good as many of the earlier bottles we had. I wouldn’t wait much longer on yours. Still great, but not what it once was.

1 Like