Wine sightings in shows/film

Sopranos was almost exclusively Rufino i thought… especially at Vesuvio Ristorante…

Tons of them in Iron Man 3.

Sine Qua Non, Scarecrow, Screaming Eagle, Hundred Acre, Marcassin etc.

There was one episode with 86 Pichon Lalande, and the price spiked after that. Crazy times!

And yes, it was a lot of Ruffino Gold…

The one that’s always stood out for me is 1959 Haut Brion in the Matrix Reloaded, with the vintage pronounced in French in the snootiest way imaginable

Lambert Wilson was very well casted for this role:

1 Like

Was that from Disclosure (Demi Moore/Michael Douglas) in which a 1991 (?) Pahlmeyer Chardonnay played a supporting role?
Douglas: “The '91 Pahlmeyer? How did you know about that?”
Moore: “I want all the boys under me to be happy.”

I think I still have a bottle.

Slight thread drift here – have you noticed how red wine in TV shows and movies is usually far lighter in color and more transparent than actual wine? More like a glass of cranberry juice or something in terms of the color and transparency.

I’m guessing they aren’t using actual wine and just don’t think it’s worth the effort to make whatever else they’re putting in the glasses look like wine? There is plenty of very cheap real wine out there, but maybe there are some workplace rules, or they don’t want characters being impaired drinking it.

Not a big deal, just something I notice and wasn’t sure if anyone else had.

I noticed the same thing. I make comments about it to my wife but now I just shut up because I sound like a broken record to her.

1 Like

I told my son that while we were watching it. He told me to pipe down or something like that.

1 Like

Was your son’s facial expression similar to you avatar?

Earlier Moore tells someone to go to a wine shop and get a bottle of Pahlmeyer Chardonnay because it’s the best and Douglas’ character loves it (or something to that effect).

JP told me the story of how that came to happen during a lull in a tasting one time (Pahlmeyer and Patricia Green are alphabetically close so out tables were adjacent). Maybe embellished over the years with many tellings of it (I have no idea) but it’s still a great tale and an amazing one as well.

The Office (US) - How to leave a party
The crew is partying at Robert’s home and they come upon his wine cellar that holds (1200? Bottles). They grab a 1995 Chateau Margaux.

1 Like

Checking to make sure this made the list. Was it the Clos Electrique? My eyes aren’t that great, but it looked like the Reserve bottling.

1 Like

Those weren’t just any bikers Tony and Chrissy stole the ‘86 Pichon Lalande from, they were The Vipers!

Chrissy, being the astute wine lover that he is, later sold his 5 cases for $300!

It might be. You would think on how they were saying it was hard to source, it would have been the Massale. [snort.gif]

They use some sort of concoction in its place that’s pretty standard from what I know. Sort of like how blood used to look different than real blood in film and TV. I’ve heard actors comment about how this fake wine is not so fun to drink on some commentaries of films and such.

It always stands out to me at how much it doesn’t really look like any red wine you are likely to come across. If it wasn’t in some sort of stemware I would never guess it was wine.

Blood I get, because you wouldn’t have and use actual blood on the set.

But you could buy wine that looks like actual wine at TJs or in a box for next to nothing, so I guess there must be some reason they don’t want to use real wine on the set, maybe some OSHA rules or something like that.

This scene in particular from Tampopo is pretty great. The young dude who knows what to order is a nobody. The top brass all kowtow, ordering what the one guy does because they do not have a clue what to order in the fancy French restaurant.

There is another scene involving some leftover great growth Bordeaux(I forget the precise label but I think it was one of the Pichons) that a homeless doctor gives some quite astute notes about concerning it’s vintage versus others. I can only find a screencap for it online.

If you consider yourself even partially a foodie and haven’t seen Tampopo, correct that omission immediately.

Cobra Kai. Season 4. Ep 10.
1998 Bollinger RD extra Brut