wine-searcher pro price increase

Sometimes one should take a deep breath and maybe take a walk before pressing the “submit” button.

Sometimes a bit of fun is OK, not exactly a scathing attack

+1…

+1. I also use it to gauge auction prices relative to retail price (if available at retail).

I think I’m not certain as to why what W-S claims vs the stores is relevant. You have to place your order through the store’s site anyway.

Which is where I’ve hit problems. Retailers are not always diligent about updating their inventories. I’ve had two orders canceled in the last year because the retailer did not have the wine in stock and claimed they could not source it. It’s not a real big deal but it does seem more annoying since I used a data scraper to get there.

Some stores quote inventory available at the distributor, without the distributor having it in stock.

After a few years I realized that a solid relationship with a few great shops was more important, and got me almost everything I wanted to buy. That’s when I ditched WS. All my retail buying comes from a total of four places.

Is there a reason I am seeing wine-searcher pro at $65? I’m in Canada but it says it showing the price in USD? I’d be much happier to pay $39. Difference is a decent Tuesday night wine!

EDIT - Never mind! I only read the first few posts and didn’t notice this was an old thread. So I guess my data point would be that I’m in acquisition mode but have not yet pulled the trigger at current pricing.

From my experience, WS has more than paid itself back on the return given the limited shipping options due to NY and prices locally I’ve found only through the app that I wouldn’t find otherwise.

You do raise a good point that WS is particularly valuable in NYC for a number of reasons, including the ones you identify.

Another is we are lucky to get a lot of wines that are hard to find elsewhere in the US and many go on the retail shelf (i.e., are not just sold on pre-shelf offers) but different retailers price these wines drastically differently. I am often surprised by the high-low difference just in the NYC area, and WS helps save $$ given how many stores we have access to and (potential) relationships with in a relatively small geographic area.

The alerts are also helpful to find hard to source wines. I have also been surprised by how many hits on these (when there are hits) are in the NYC area.

That is not quite correct on the CT front. We rely on a vendor that uses THOUSANDS of data points to determine if browsing is human or robotic. If you hit it too hard, you have to fill a CAPTCHA every few hundred searches. You only start to get blocked if you enter multiples of those incorrectly, or if you are using script blockers, TOR endpoints or doing things to intentionally disrupt the system. I cannot speak to Wine-Searcher, but they at one point had a clearly published LIMIT on the number of searches you could generate. CT has no such limit.