Wine retailers are the weakest link

This has to be the most misguided and lazy post on this entire site…

Sounds like someone is a little jaded…

[winner.gif]

I really do feel that the importer has to furnish all the information to the buyer that they can possibly dig up -

Nothing wrong with doing your own press kit for each wine -

One of my favorite things to do in this business is going digging for info on a new wine I have brought in. I produce a small press kit for each wine I bring in - no matter how obscure -

Half the fun is going through horrible websites in different languages, digging up obscure photos of the winery and principles off of even more obscure websites (It’s amazing what you can find with google) - Almost every winery in the world has a website - most of them are terribly put together - and the translations can be laughable - but doing your research - getting everything together and writing your own press kit helps you gain more knowledge of your own products and supplies your customer with every single bullet you can for their guns -

I’ve been bringing in wines from Slovenia and Hungary lately, and you wouldn’t believe the odd places I am finding info on each wine from -

Scores? We ain’t go no stinkin’ scores - what do we look like? A football team? But here’s a full color press kit on the wine you are interested in (that includes bikini shots of the winery owner’s daughters on the last page) -

Interesting twist on distribution/retail today.

We expect our wine reps in this week, end of the month, to do their last minute sales. Between reps, a winery owner walked in and sat a bottle of his 2005 Cab on the counter. (current release, retail $82.00) He said his distributors can’t move the wine and mentioned another wine maker who is on the road this week promoting his wines too, because his distributors can’t move his wine either. He told me to enjoy the bottle and not forget him, should we be in the position to take on more wine.

Trickle down, trickle up. Everybody in the chain is having problems right now, with higher priced/lesser known and unknown/new wines getting hit the hardest.

Is this some kind of antisemitic joke? [scratch.gif]

Ask Randy. I remember asking if as a goy I was allowed to laugh at it. That came up on the Saturday Wine Shop Funnies thread when I reported getting a phone call from someone quite distressed that we were listed in the party supplies section of the yellow pages but didn’t sell dreidels…

More Saturday Retail Funnies - Wine Pimps - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

start at #123

Listen, you obviously don’t know me, my customers, or how I conduct business, so why don’t you get off it.

Chaad,

No problem. I know you now.

So I’m confused… If Chaad’s doing so well, the fact that his wines don’t generally have scores can’t be an issue. If he’s doing that well, and retailers asking for scores is THAT annoying, just refuse to sell to them. Hey, you’re doing well! Of course if you need business… then you might want to actually work with the people who are FRICKING PAYING YOU.

Dude, when I think you’re being a dick… you’re being a dick.

Allow me to repeat myself as I was so succinct and truthful the first time around:

pwnd

[winner.gif] It is a rant, after all, not a grouphug .

Anyway, the input from some retailers on this thread fairly proves my point that there are those who don’t reason too well. but do provide fine fodder for the occasional rant.

Here’s another rant-worthy episode from the gritty streets:

I did a CA vs. Italy shootout tasting for a retailer last week, and not surprisingly, my wines powered Italy to a walk-away victory, established by secret ballot from the attendees. It was my first tasting for them, and they were surprised to have had so many purchases for my stuff, more than they’ve had at previous tastings. The power of schioppettino, I say! So anyway, I get invited back for their next shootout against France next month.

We’re discussing what to bring, and the issue of sweet wines comes up. They’re puzzled by the unpredictability of sticky performance in the past, and so I suggest Moscato d’Asti. Who wants an expensive, syrupy-thick, cloying dessert wine in June, anyway?

They balk, saying they don’t sell much Moscato. I ask, “Have you shown one before?” No, is the answer. Okay, so I say, “Let’s try then!” They balk again, protesting they don’t sell much of it off the shelf.

I say to them, “I’ll tell you what. If I show my Moscato, I guarantee you it will outsell all other wines that night by volume, and if I’m wrong, each of you (they’re a buying duo) can pick a bottle of whatever you want from the portfolio.”

They’re looking at me like I’m crazy, so I toss in, “It’s the best Moscato in the market, in an absolute sense, but also by value.”

They sneer, “So say you because it’s yours.” “No, really, I believe it is. Which do you prefer?”

Vietti was the reply, to which I said, “Yeah, it’s quite good, particularly since Vietti doesn’t even make it.” I could see them tense up a bit, so I say “It’s right on the label who makes it, but I’ll tell you what, I’ll blind you on them, and you can decide. I’ll buy a bottle from you off the shelf and we’ll taste 'em side-by-side, blind.”

They’re smiling, loving the idea. “But,” I continue, “if mine wins, I get a shelf placement.”

So the Moscato blind is on for this Friday, and the shootout for the 18th, so we’ll see how I fare. I’m pretty confident I’ll take both contests, but the point is that I’m laying out my own cash, sample bottles, and time at the tastings to make the sales and support my clients…
…and I’ve never mentioned points once during this whole thing. [highfive.gif]

chaad,

You chose this business for yourself, no? You knew the name of the game when you decided to play ball, right? Right?

It’s not the retailers’ fault that some wines are more labor-intensive to sell than others – if you feel otherwise, I would love to hear your explanation. If you want to “blame” anyone here, why don’t you blame the “average wine consumer/buyer”? – you know, the 99.9% of wine drinkers who don’t frequent boards such as this one, and base their buying decisions on the little information they can cull from popular media (i.e. scores).

Your “retailers are lazy” argument is a LAZY argument in and of itself (and, consequently, somewhat amusing). I thought, after some time away from your OP, you might re-read your initial post in an objective manner and realize some of this; your subsequent posts in this thread unfortunately prove otherwise.

Chaad, your success stories are terrific. However, guess who did all the “work” in those scenarios. That’s right, you, not the retailers. That’s exactly what the three retailers in your original rant were seeking: you in the store or your influence in the store while you’re elsewhere. Their request was simply that if you can’t be there, perhaps a “professional” review (read: points) could be supplied to assist in selling the wine.

This has exactly ZERO to do with your wines. I’m sure they’re delicious and great values. This is about retail and making money in the most efficient fashion possible. If I can get a wholesaler to sell his/her own wine in the store, I let them. Meanwhile, I’m doing the zillion things I need to accomplish in a day. Anything you do to reduce the work load for me will be appreciated and returned in purchases. Trust me. Make my job harder or more time consuming and I’ll find someone else from whom to purchase wine.

I appreciate the frustrated source of your original rant, which is why I used silly “leet speek” in my responses. Take a deep breath, close your eyes, imagine being the retailer for a minute, and you’ll get it.

I did choose this business, because I love wine and because I love sharing my passion for wine with others.

Yes, some wines are more “labor intensive” to sell, but doing work in support of one’s passion is so rewarding; it begs the question why don’t retailers do the work?

And you, sir, know the retailers aren’t doing the work, because you suggest someone needs to be blamed for something, which you apparently think is the buying habits of the consumer. You then suggest that ratings in “popular media” is driving their habits, but where do they see that media? Talk about 99.9%…that would be the percentage of consumers who’ve never purchased, read, or heard of Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate, or Wine Enthusiast, which are as “popular” as wine media gets.

No, they’re getting that media in the shops, because the retailers are relying too heavily on promoting ratings, avoiding the “labor intensive” work of selling based on knowledge, integrity, and passion.

Please refer to the definition of lazy:

la·zy (adjective) – averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.

So no, I don’t pass the buck onto consumers as you would suggest. Retailers have the power to sell them whatever they want–I see it happen all the time at the good retail shops. People come in and ASK them what they should buy! If that’s not happening because the retailer is plastering their shop with ratings and “unbeatable discount!” signage, and stocking the salesfloor with a bunch of bullshit wine (e.g. 90+ Cellars), that’s their own fault and they shoulder the blame. Simple.

I’m certainly not suggesting that they stock only obscure stuff, or try to sell wine people don’t want, but they’ve got to realize that they have power to influence consumer decisions and could be working in such a way as to reaffirm that influence instead of eroding it, and working to build more value and security into their role in the marketplace.

Some retailers are better than others, that’s just a simple fact. However, the more shops that can “energize their base” and build the strength of the wine community the better it is for all of us ITB, from producer to retailer. The box/discounters will always have their role, but I can’t say the same for the indie shops. I see a lot of them abrogating their points of distinction, abrogating their opportunities to distinguish themselves, turning into generic, small scale discounters not really different from the big players in the market.

I know they’re scared–they outta be–but it’s still sad to see happen. And at times, frustrating.

Now I gotta run and go try to talk some of the guys down off the ledge…give 'em a hand, you know. [bye.gif]

So, in other words, the good retailers are the ones that sell YOUR wines…got it. All the other wines…like the ones with ratings…are bullshit…

That makes total sense.

I’m not going to comment any more on this thread b/c after reading all your posts the only thing you have shown me is that you no little to nothing about the wine retail business.

Averse to exertion, huh? Selling wine not a priority in your day, huh? You make all of my points beautifully.

I guess I’m still well-regarded by those who called on me when I was a retail wine buyer because I wasn’t like you. We’re competitors now, me and them, but that sense of partnership still exists between us.

I’m betting I do well now because my customers know that “making money in the most efficient fashion possible” is not my bottom line, and they can count on me to deliver sound, high value wines, give sound advice, work towards long-term goals, and help them build their business. Again, partnership.

Are you going through a mid life crisis perhaps…or are you just crazy?

Good luck with that…

"you know, the 99.9% of wine drinkers who don’t frequent boards such as this one, and base their buying decisions on the little information they can cull from their friends, random tastes at other peoples homes or restaurants and help from sales people in wine shops "

Fixed. The number of wine drinkers who navigate by points is for sure less than 50%.

As in every other cultural based business from film to music to basket weaving, there are those who are about moving boxes, units and dollars as priorities #1, 2 and 3 and those who are fine making a reasonable living while concentrating on selling the actual culture.

This is why Southern will hire a former cosmetics or tobacco salesperson (they know how to use the inventory machines and organize a sales call day) and independent retailers and importers are often filled with musicians, writers, dreamers and surfer dudettes.

Chaad is Terry Theise (who also doesn’t do scores) twenty-five years ago. He has passion, the goods and lots of drive. He’ll do fine.

Again, I lol’d. Especially at your last sentence, implying that I don’t deliver sound, high value wines, or give sound advice, work towards long-term goals, build my business, or build partnerships. I advise you dismount from your high horse before you opine blindly. The contents of your list and efficiency are not mutually exclusive. Truthfully, if you are inefficient, then you suck at your job.

You clearly have a complete disconnect from the realities of a large retail operation. I wish you luck.

+1