Wine Refrigerators

I apologize for bump this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself.
In my opinion, I would go with the freezerless fridge. It is more expensive (I imagine) and you will need a temperature controller, but the wine fridge just doesn’t work as well. Nor do they last as long.

When I first bought a storage system I went with a small wine fridge. It is totally dependent on ambient air temperature. In the summer it could not hold the desired temp. Unless you have somewhere cool to store it, plan on it not keeping your bottles at 54 degrees. In addition, my circuit board burned out after four years in my wine fridge. It wasn’t a huge deal as I ordered a replacement and installed myself. But most standard fridges/freezers will last longer.

By the way, you might want to consider an upright freezer. They are typically less expensive than freezerless fridges. I have one that I love. I know people worry about their beer freezing, but if you use the digital temp controller, and set it to fail in the off position, you don’t have much to worry about. I have lost power three times since I bought my freezer https://coolerexp.com/best-beverage-cooler-review/ and each time the temp controller returned to 54 when the power came back online.
Currently, it’s getting close to being full with around 130+ (bombers, one magnum, 500 ml bottles, cans, etc.) but there’s still room left and the shelves can be arranged as needed. The top shelf was cut off but can probably hold ~50 cans on their side.

Well, this is clearly some marketing post masquerading as an informative review, but I will bump this really old thread to say that we have a small Avallon wine cooler (the 15") and love it. The shelf spacing is a little tight, but otherwise the unit is a champ.

Anyone have experience with the larger Avallon coolers? The pricing is really good and we’re considering buying two 151-btl units.

Going on year 12 with my 3 Home Depot Vissani/Magic Chef 50+ bottle units. Gave one of them to my step-son about 4 years ago and he reports it’s still working fine. These have been a huge value.

Bought a used/dead VinoTemp oak veneer cabinet on the cheap off Craigslist and added a new CellarPro cooling unit. It holds close to 400 bottles when I stack the top shelf properly. All-in for under $2k.

I still have my Home Depot Magic Chef one too, going on year 8 I think. My Costco one is performing well too. Even survived a move.

Just don’t buy anything that has a Breezaire in it. I had a rotten experience in the past where they wouldn’t stand behind their warranty for the sole reason that the cabinet manufacturer (Vinocraft) went out of business in the 4 years between my buying the cabinet and the cooling issue. Despite the fact that I purchased through a major wine retailer (KLWines) and not directly from the manufacturer, and a year was left on the warranty, Breezaire refused to provide service. In their favor, KL tried to resolve and even offered to sell me another unit at cost. IMO Breezaire has subpar quality and isnt ethical. I wouldn’t recommend buying anything with their coolers.

That’s what was in the dead unit I bought.

1 Like

And they look nice in the house too.

Looking at doing something similar… if you don’t mind me asking, what exactly did you buy?

Thinking of buying a Le Cache after my current off site storage bill!

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2156699#p2156699

Thanks for sharing

My suggestion would be to buy one that’s 3-4x the size of what you think you’ll need. So aim for one that holds 200+ you’ll be much happier in the long run. Unless this is for an office then my suggestion would be to just go to Home Depot and buy their 38 bottle cooler. Mine cost me $400 and lasted about a decade.

I just purchased a Le Cache 3800. I’m awaiting delivery sometime next week (takes 3-4 weeks to get to the East Coast). I have a smaller Eurocave that realistically holds 100 bottles, which I will now be setting up for larger format bottles and Champagne. It has 2 areas where I can store bottles upright. I purchased the Le Cache because of posts I’ve read on WB, the price for storage of 400+ bottles and other reviews I found online.

I’ve never used a display shelf/cradle, as all of my bottles in the past were racked (except champagne that I stand upright).

My question is, can a display cradle be used for a bottle that is intended for long term storage if the wine is in contact with the cork but doesn’t hit every spot of the cork? I’m interested in displaying only a few bottles but they would be my “trophy” bottles that I don’t intend on drinking anytime soon.

I’m not sure this post/question is appropriate for this thread but I thought that may be the answers could help someone else looking for a new form of storage fridge/cabinet as well.

Thanks

Yup. But then there is the “location” and shipping limitations to consider. I’ve had a Vinotheque on CL for a week with only 1 local inquiry. Its a steal and I’ve listed it here.

Its a ~350 bottle cooler for 25 bottle cooler price :slight_smile:

Completely agree… I have took an old freezer chest and a temperature controller … could buy my rig from Craigslist for probably $100… stores probably 10 cases, more if you take the bottles out. Super cheap reliable and stable temperature

I hope it’s ok to post a message on this thread rather than creating a new one.

I recently moved into a new condo and it has a built in GE Monogram single-zone wine refrigerator. This is my first wine refrigerator. The fridge is set to 55f but I haven’t tested the humidity. I know this refrigerator is designed as a “serving” fridge but how long can I plan on keeping wine in it? For example, if someone recommended drinking the wine over the next two years. I’m sure it depends on a number of factors but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks.

I hope my idea is useful to someone, for a number of years I had a unit that is basically built to be EITHER a Sauna or a walk in Wine Cellar. The man who installed this - I believe he is many peoples main man in the state. For both Commercial - large scale - fancy units to go with fine design in restaurants, and home units. I forget the brand of cooling unit and all the mechanical details, however, for years it worked fine and I forget the capacity, I want to say several thousand bottles, depending upon racks, stacks and so on. It literally was the size of a at home sauna. Now after so many years in a private home I’ve moved into an apartment in a Condo in town.
With the help of people on Berserker I was guided to purchase a Euro Cave from Wine Enthusiast. I have a unit that supposedly will fit almost 200/btls, which is not possible. That’s ok, and it looks very apartment like - modern, clean, BUT, there is something - to me - that is not organic in my relationship to looking for and selecting bottles.
Pulling out draws, it is not like my previous walk in small wine cellar (sauna) or when I go down to my office/warehouse and see and touch the boxes and racks and so on…
This unit is doing its job lovely, and works just like advertised. But my entire relationship, looking at and touching OWC, and reading the names, picturing every image that evokes… now it is in a neat draw that pulls out.

I do not know what the current price would be of that ‘Sauna’ walk in wine cellar, however, I think it was about the same as this unit cost me.
The musings of an ole timer…
There was something at looking at those Burgundys that aged each year and I knew one day I’d have that pleasure - I do not have that now…

I hope my idea is useful to someone, for a number of years I had a unit that is basically built to be EITHER a Sauna or a walk in Wine Cellar. The man who installed this - I believe he is many peoples main man in the state. For both Commercial - large scale - fancy units to go with fine design in restaurants, and home units. I forget the brand of cooling unit and all the mechanical details, however, for years it worked fine and I forget the capacity, I want to say several thousand bottles, depending upon racks, stacks and so on. It literally was the size of a at home sauna. Now after so many years in a private home I’ve moved into an apartment in a Condo in town.
With the help of people on Berserker I was guided to purchase a Euro Cave from Wine Enthusiast. I have a unit that supposedly will fit almost 200/btls, which is not possible. That’s ok, and it looks very apartment like - modern, clean, BUT, there is something - to me - that is not organic in my relationship to looking for and selecting bottles.
Pulling out draws, it is not like my previous walk in small wine cellar (sauna) or when I go down to my office/warehouse and see and touch the boxes and racks and so on…
This unit is doing its job lovely, and works just like advertised. But my entire relationship, looking at and touching OWC, and reading the names, picturing every image that evokes… now it is in a neat draw that pulls out.

I do not know what the current price would be of that ‘Sauna’ walk in wine cellar, however, I think it was about the same as this unit cost me.
The musings of an ole timer…
There was something at looking at those Burgundys that aged each year and I knew one day I’d have that pleasure - I do not have that now…

A Eurocave could be a possibility for me in the future. I’m not sure if if one is worth the cost based the price range of wines I’m drinking. I think a smaller free standing Eurocave that includes humidity control might be 2,700-3k.

The Costco ones are quite a bite less, artevino.