Wine pairing with goose: Moose!

I reckon let loose and open a Moose with the Goose.

1 Like

Thinking more about the prunes and apples and armagnac, cahors or other southwest France would be pretty great if you want a red.

Only one I have on hand is the VOGUE Musigny VV 2007; good to go?

FIFY. :slight_smile:

I forgot to ask, what time is dinner? :grinning:

I thought this was spectacular earlier this year.

1 Like

Should be ready.

1 Like

Haven’t had goose in ages, but somehow this recipe makes me think of a Dirty & Rowdy Semillon (the '18 should do fine). On the savory side of Semillon.

OK, tell me this is crazy pileon

I was just sitting here thinking that perhaps a Didier Dagueneau wine would be great.

I’ve cooked goose stuffed with apples and prunes many times, usually soaked in Port, but Armagnac sounds like a great option.

My wine choice is the richest Pinot Noir you can find, provided that it maintains a backbone of acidity. GC Burgundy if you can afford it. Top quality new world Pinot as an option.
Riesling and Loire Chenin Blanc are certainly correct matches flavor-wise, but just don’t hit the right festive note.

Ideally, start with a PN dominant Champagne, move on the red wine, and put an Auslese on the table for those who appreciate it. I’ve found that my family and friends always go for the red.

You’ve got me wanting to roast a goose now, but the family has decided not to gather too closely. We are ordering out Peking duck, with the wine choices being the same as above. It will be interesting trying to hold the meal outdoors in Seattle. Right now I’m looking out the window at wet snow.

While the match is probably good, it’s goose for Christmas dinner — are you really having rose with the main course? Seems like he might want a more important wine.

In Denmark the go-to wine for Christmas dinner is Chateneauf-du-pape. Think it could work here as well.

Its normal to serve either stuffed duck with some pork, a thick gravy, caramelised potatoes and pickled red cabbage.

Last year i had Chateau Des Tours CDR(2015) and Gramenon, La Sagesse (2017).

Given how gamey goose can be I’d probably reach for a Cru Beaujolais.

I’m in the Riesling or Vouvray demi-sec camp.

Great suggestion. I had Huet’s demi-sec wines in different older vintages which worked very well with pork and a creamy port wine sauce. Think it would also work wonders here.

Now tempted by the Vogue–I’ll report back, if and when. BTW, it’s only three of us and our fifteen-year old does not drink (much).

Well you sure have lot to choose from. That said I would be opening an Amarone. Tommaso Bussola Vigneto Alto 2000. Big bold and rich with some sweetness. I think it would be a great pairing if you have and like Amarone.

If old moulleux Huet doesn’t hit the right festive note for your guests, man, I don’t know what to say. I guess serve the Pinot, it certainly won’t be a bad match. But a 1996 Huet sticky was one of my best 2 or 3 wines this year, I can’t help but get excited about them.

If I had guests who really wanted some red, here’s what I’d do: start with bubbly, then have some gougeres as you open the pinot, then serve the goose with a second bottle of the pinot and the auslese or Vouvray. Plan a small course of rich cheeses for any leftover white.

Hi Lee,

Old Huet might hit the right festive notes for us, Lee,

We have no guests, but I happen not to have any on hand. But we do have some gougeres lined up and may do serious pinot (GC burg), Reisling, or mayne some saignée champagne. So all’s good!

You and everyone enjoy your holidays and thanks for all the suggestions!

Maybe impractical for you, but I really like Timorasso (a white grape grown around Tortona in Piemonte) with Goose.

A feeling amplified by sharing a bottle whilst eating a platter of goose prepared in a number of different ways, at the appropriately (and not coincidentally) named Taverna dell’Oca on via dei mille in Torino.

1 Like