Wine for Swine

Riesling is my favorite match. Some rs doesn’t hurt at all even up to ( real ) Spatlese levels.

Another + for higher acid whites and reds. I’d avoid Chardonnay. For reds, I’d go the “spicy” route (Zins, Syrah, Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, etc.).

I liked the Cava suggestion above as well; and, along those lines, there’s always the option of beer too.

How will it be seasoned? What are you serving it with?

Without that information, it’s pretty much a blind guess.

drink beer ,for pig it is better than wine

Well it was a great time. I ended up with a mixed case of mostly reds to go with the keg of Fat Tire and the pig. The big fella was 115 pounds but with the magic of the Caja China it cooked evenly and fairly quickly. We had some of the usual sides (peppery cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans).

Based on some of the suggestions here we had '09 Berger Gruner Veltliner, '09 Lapierre Vin de Pays de Gaules, '08 Chris Ringland CR Shiraz, '09 Shoo Fly Shiraz, '09 Alamos Malbec, '08 Olivares Altos de la Hoya and the '09 Ste Cosme CDR.

It’s an admittedly wide ranging and inexpensive set of wines, and all of them faired well with the pork. The big crowd of mostly non-wine drinkers stayed with the more familiar Alamos and Shoo Fly. I have to admit that during the all day party I was hitting the Fat Tire more so than anything else, followed by the Berger, which is just a fun, light, easy, quaffer.

If I get to it I will post a photo or two. It really was a blast!