Wine Drinking In France Sucks

Jeremy I loved your description of the Jean-Claude 2014 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes and wondered what it cost in France as the 2015s are running about $220 here on the left coast? I haven’t jumped on many White Burghs as the pre-mox issues and cost issues are a bit scary. Sounds like you are having an epic time in France!

Hi Dennis, The Ramonet was about $200 off the list. Worth every cent.

Vantre in the 11th, has one of the best playlists I have encountered. The wine list and food are pretty handy too.

2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru. It was expressive and generous but possessed a lovely cool character. There were notes of white flowers, wet stones, crisp white peach and flint. It had awesome volume and filled every crevice in the mouth with sappy orchard fruit flavours. There’s fabulous chalky structure underpinning the fruit and the long finish is laden with dry extract.

2012 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny: Fresh and highly perfumed, with crunchy cherry fruit and a note of violets. It had stony minerality and a fine, lacy feel against the gums. The finish was tangy and precise.

1999 Domaine Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Ducs: Pure, unforced, ethereal and engaging. Equal parts fruit, mineral, plant matter and earth. Muscular but perfumed, deep and textural. Primary and primal, with just a hint of espresso the only sign of any age. Should live for another 50+ years.

Sounds like you guys are having a great time…

But - No Chevaliers still!!!

Just arrived in Burgundy Paul. Pretty sure there’s a Chevalier in the cellar here.

had a cracking dinner at Tomy & Co.

2017 J.M. Boillot Puligny-Montrachet. Whilst obviously juvenile, the wine showed some pleasant aniseed spice and pure white peach fruit. It had good shape in the mouth and flinty/mineral notes punctuating the finish.

2016 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis 1er Cru La Forest: It smelt of river rocks drizzled with honey. It was quite thick and unctuous in the mouth but by no means heavy. It had some citrus rind to the back-end and plenty of salinity.

2014 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Boudriotte Rouge: It was pure, perfumed and charming. Red berry and cherry fruits abound and there’s a note of flora and some earth. It is beautifully proportioned and silky on the palate, fanning out on the finish.

What was on the playlist?

Tunes vacillate between early blues, later bluegrass, classic ‘60’s rock, a couple of belting tracks from the likes of Janis and Nina and a smattering of ‘Fromage’ by Elvis and Neil Diamond.

You had me until Neil Diamond :grinning:

the 93 L’Arlot Suchots was one of the most brilliant bottles I had last year. Good to hear the NSG was also outstanding.

Thanks for reminding me of this spot. Will go there. It is in my hood
And thanks for the great notes
Did you go to Villaret?

Cheers Suzanne. I would love to try that '93 Suchots.

Didn’t get to Villaret this trip Claus. It is a favourite of ours.

A long lunch at Arpege.

A bottle of 2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin Le Banc was perfect with the first few courses. It has the usual PYCM reduction but has certainly put on a bit of weight since last year. Delicious citrus fruit flavours are tinged with mineral. It is still relatively compact and linear and finishes with good cut and persistence.

2014 Jean-Philippe Fichet Meursault Les Tessons: It had a lovely, open-knit nose of almond butter, white peach and preserved lemon. Full, voluminous and cut with a line of minerally acidity. Good presence and depth and excellent length of flavour.

I spotted a bottle of Freddy Mugnier’s ‘Amoureuses’ on the list, at a price that was too good to be true. After ordering it, the Somm returned to tell me that it was not true and that the listed bottle was in fact the Fuées. We happily accepted the 2011 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées. It is a gorgeous rendition of this wine, ready to go right now. Not particularly deep but complex and ethereal. It has an engaging scent of dried flowers, red fruits and chalk. It is fine in the mouth, with good detail of perfumed red and blue fruits. It has great finesse, is lacy of texture and finishes with crunch, offering good persistence.

A 2008 Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Speciale Blanc de Blancs Les Chetillons was seriously good. A pure and fresh nose of green apples, chalk, lemon and bread. In the mouth it has awesome clarity and definition. It is so fine yet is a Champagne of authority. It has the build, complexity and length of top-shelf white Burgundy.

Looking good these last few posts! Loved our dinners at Amarante and Petit Verdot back in 2017.

The 2010 version of the Boudriottes Rouges was stunning and is in the early mix for WOTY.

Sante and keep updating!

Mike

a slightly different theme direction…

I stopped in to a small Parisian suburb wine shop last year and chatted to the owner about personal wine preferences. She was attentive and made some suggestions. She had a broad hand-picked selection of French offerings (including GC Burgs and higher end Bordeaux). I asked her for the best value in the shop and she handed me a bottle of 2014 La Tour Gallus, Fleur de Gabbro Muscadet made by Damien Rineau. 60+ year old vines. He makes approximately 40 barrels/year of this bottling.

It’s very easy drinking. A touch of minerality and balanced. Dry, simple, clean and smooth with moderate persistence. It doesn’t show much complexity but it paired well with light appetizers and chicken. $7 including tax. There’re more complex Muscadets, some made by Mr. Rineau. A quaffable $7 white from older vines that didn’t come from a tanker…is not something I encounter a lot these days.

RT

In my mind, Villaret’s list is starting to fade a bit.
It was a good run . . . but it is hard to keep a list priced the way they did for so long.