Wine Drinking In France Sucks

Ok this post is already starting to make me jealous…

+1

14 Ramonet stuns; I’ve had a few including Clos des Ruchottes, a new holding. Keep the notes coming.

A title that the late great Bob Wood would appreciate.

Sounds like a couple of wines for Mark B’s future Thunderbucket Challenge #2.

So Jeremy really thought Wine Drinking in France Sucks, compared to drinking out of Alan’s cellar…

I have a mixed case but was concerned when someone here posted that they were very forward. Any feelings ?

not at all. Gorgeous fruit makes it approachable but there’s a real spine there.

Nick Lander wrote a nice article on Amarante recently so we thought we’d give them a whirl. Their 22 euro lunch menu is one of Paris’ genuine value propositions. I had superb poached tongue, followed by roasted Pintard and a piece of aged Camembert. The wine list is relatively small but we drank well.

2016 Alice et Olivier De Moor Chablis L’Humeur du Temps. It had the heady scent of citrus blossom but was relatively strict in the mouth. Texture was chalky and the finish had an intense saline quality.

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py: Had the gentle prickle of retained CO2 at first. Work some air through the wine and it is expressive cherry fruit, lavender, violets and earth. It has a velvety feel in the mouth, good mineral precision and a long finish carried by sweet tannins.

2015 Dard et Ribo Crozes-Hermitage Les Rouges des Baties. It was the bomb, with perfectly ripe berry fruits and all sorts of agricultural and mineral nuance. There were some green bean Syrah notes, coupled with menthol and wild herb and a suggestion of smoked meats. It had good presence in the mouth, with a fresh clean finish and sneaky persistence.

Terrific lunch at Le Petit Verdot yesterday.

2002 Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Speciale Blanc de Blancs Les Chetillons: An Oenothèque release and in splendid nick. The nose offered subtle whiffs of chalk, bread, white peach, citrus and green almond. It was full and creamy in the mouth, with awesome mineral spine. Each sip offered complex and delicate flavours and it is a Champagne of great cut and persistence.

1993 Domaine de L’Arlot Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos des Forêts St. Georges: The cork and bottle were is superb condition and the wine poured out deep and bright. It had an engaging perfume of musk, meat, black cherry, earth and violets. It was silky and savoury in the mouth, with good depth and awesome cut. The scent of rose petals came to the fore with more air.

2013 Domaine G. Roumier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras: Has an enticing nose of black cherry, violets and earth. It is sweet and succulent, back-lit by electric acidity. It builds through the palate, fanning out on the finish, possessing such clarity and purity.

are you dry today—c’mon, we are waiting.

After a long lunch, dinner was furthest from our minds. If anything, a piece of fresh fish was all we needed, and a couple of bottles of white Burgundy. We waddled off to La Cagouille for a light meal.

With a bottle of Chateldon, a bottle of Raveneau and a bowl of delicious clams on the table, we were right at home. The 2009 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Blanchot was fresh and vital, loaded with yellow fruits and citrus blossom. It was layered in the mouth and the partnering with clams in butter, unlocked the wine’s saline elements. Depth and length of flavour are outstanding.

So, we are in perhaps Paris’ finest seafood establishment. There are 8 or 9 entrees of various sublime crustacean or fish to choose from and Colin opts for a dish of green asparagus. He really doesn’t like embracing the house specialty. He did however have the fabulous grilled St. Pierre for main course so we shouldn’t get stuck into him too much. Heidi had half a dozen of the most enormous oysters you have ever seen. After she had finished, Colin was unaware that she had started, pointing to the ‘oyster attacher’, the technical term for the bit that fastens oyster to shell. Said ‘oyster attachers’ were as large as a standard oyster. My entrée of fresh anchovies with fried parsley was simple and brilliantly executed.

Main courses of St.Pierre and perfectly cooked Rouget came with an array of sides. Fat wedges of potato, silky puree of celeriac and a bowl of flavoured rice. A bottle of 2010 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre was completely bound up by its sulphur to begin. The smoky haze dissipated to reveal hazelnut cream, sappy orchard fruits and chalky mineral. It had good shape in the mouth and intensity above its level. It finishes with excellent cut and has super persistence.

Being in an abstemious mood, no dessert for us, although the offering here is always spot on. We had just got up to leave when Kong the Somm made us sit back down and have a slug of Cognac. Not wanting to offend we obliged. The house Cagouille Cognac is Delamain Grand Champagne of which only 42 bottles were made. Our glass from bottle number 41 was very good and aided digestion after a rather large day on the fang.

Sounds filling.

935B9F5D-72A0-45F0-B141-F57764FC985F.jpeg

Yeah, that can increase the suckiness of wine drinking in France.

RT

you can’t swallow an oyster like that whole. Does one use a knife and fork? That’s crazy.

Raveneau sounds great.

I’m relieved you aren’t dying of thirst or hunger.

Have you had the 13 Barthod Cras? I have a few of the roumier and this and would like to do a side by side at some point.

Hi Michael,

I had a bottle of the Barthod two years ago and have added my note below. I kind of like where '13 is at the moment. The wines are refreshing and fruit is starting to shine. Had a '13 Hubert Lignier Chambolle V.V. last night that was in a good place.

Cheers
Jeremy

2013 Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras: Discreet, cool nose of rocks, meat, red and black fruits and violets. It is detailed and chiseled in the mouth. You feel every rocky bump and there’s enough flesh from the sweet fruit to allow you to take a peek now without getting hurt. Needs time and there’s certainly plenty of potential here.

Thanks! 13 over 14 right now for those?

Different propositions. '14 for a bit more flesh, '13 for crunchiness and clarity. Both vintages drinking well in the main.

LOL! Came for the thread title, but stayed for the yummy sounding wines being drunk. Well done!