Wine drinking in France sucks

I forgot about that, the first night i was alone and had a Morgon at a nice fish restaurant, i did enjoy that. It was €33 a bottle so not to bad. Maybe the issue was the people picking the wines !!

Om
Oh no, the scary man from Wine Spectator has come out to join in, he does like to bully people

I have to partly agree with the OP. The French restaurant attention to wine is often abysmal. Generally speaking, anything that you would find exported outside of France (classified growth Bordeaux, other well known wines) have huge markups. Plus there is such an objection to BYOB that it is nearly impossible unless you are a regular customer who knows the owner or chef. And don’t get me started on how many restaurants have crappy stemware. When I go out to eat, whether Paris or other cities in France, I do not expect to have a spectacular wine experience. I expect to have a mediocre to decent wine experience with excellent food.

That being said, once you resolve yourself to having a mediocre wine experience, you can be surprised. I generally follow the strategy of going as local as possible in selections, or picking something I don’t know to try to match the food. If choosing Bordeaux, I’ll look for something in a satellite appellation and stay away from the big names.

Spot on. My greatest memories of Paris itself are those sidewalk cafes. A lipsmacking Cru Beaujolais and a little plate of fromage. It doesn’t get any better.

And the beauty of France is the regionalism. I remember being in Burgundy, sitting at a table with a bunch of older vignerons, and was shocked to hear that at least half of them had never been to Bordeaux (and wondered why I would even ask such a silly question). Another time we were staying in Saint Emilion and heard about a restaurant on the main drag that actually had some older Burgundies on their list. And it was like they had to whisper this info to us, for fear of being heard…

I did see one weird wine i thought was out of place

A villes vignes trembley for €130 , i know zero about burgs but thought i had heard people complain about prices for that wine

Vous parlez de mon héritage. Êtes-vous le «vilain américain» que nous connaissons tous?

Je suis l’Américain laid qui aime votre nourriture mais n’aime pas votre vin

It’s actually Tremblay (Cecile Tremblay, I expect). And, if there was any doubt, this post establishes the root of your problem dining/drinking in France: you are ignorant (i.e., lacking knowledge or awareness; uneducated).

I’m not sure how to say “why are people posting in response to this” without violating my own advice.

Is it ignorant when i state upfront i know zero about burgs ?

Seems ignorant to attack when i freely admit upfront i have no knowledge

I know ill be called a troll but the whole snobbery about French wine is summed up in your post, a small spelling mistake is enough for you to be rude.

I dont claim expertise, i do claim living life on my terms and calling it as i see it and not being a blind follower kissing the ring just to be one of the cool crowd.

Well, that seems to be working out pretty well then so congrats

This reminds me of the great restaurant scene in Paris in European Vacation.

I wouldn’t be shocked by this. A generation back a vigneron from Gevrey was not only unlikely to have been to Bordeaux but to Volnay as well. And if they had been to Volnay their opinion of it and the wines was unlikely to be particularly favorable.

Hell, I have to be careful because of where my winery is so as to avoid even having to drive in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA!

If Cecile Tremblay is only 130€ and is a village wine… just enjoy it…you will not have any regret …
(a bit pricey if simple bourgogne rouge but still excellent)
I remember 3 years ago finding a Roumier Morey 1er la bussiere for 110 € which was great (probably costs more now).

Bullshit. You can’t proclaim some sort of innocence because you concede no knowledge of Burgundy. What little knowledge and experience you have regarding French wine leads you not to like it. That’s fine, but it does not qualify you to make the sweeping generalizations that you do in your OP. Your antics remind of when Mike Dildine used to trash many Burgundy threads. He has stopped. You can live life on your terms and call it as you see it, as you say, but when you espouse an opinion on the basis of ignorance, expect others to call you on it.

If I move this thread will Alan create another poll asking for my removal as a mod.

Except that you do seem quite willing to kiss the ring of mailing-list-only California wines, buying ones you haven’t tasted and asking people about others you haven’t tried. It seems like you’re kind of a blind follower there.

We can hope! Then there would be another entry for the Berserkers Hall of Fame!

At the risk of taking anything seriously in this thread, one thing I can see is how atmosphere and preconception affect your perception of wine.

One guy on a business trip, not disposed to like French wine, finds the wines poor.

Other guys, in love with France and on a happy vacation, think sipping cheap Bojo in a sidewalk cafe is sublime.

Neither is inherently right or wrong, but it just shows how external factors play a big role in how wine tastes.

There is more panning here than on the French copper pan thread.