Wine drinking in France sucks

Yeah, Alan should have brought a Saxum or a Kosta Browneand told them to stop pouring their insipid swill and serve him a real Murican wine.

Twenty minutes later, possibly under their own steam, the snails arrive.

[snort.gif]

Alan:

1. If you travel through Europe, you’ll notice that wine lists are dominated by their country’s own wines (see other comment above).

2. I’ve traveled to France very often, mostly to Bordeaux and Northern Rhône. I have had only positive experiences at restaurants, in regards to wine selection and value. For instance, in Saint-Emilion, I have been introduced to some fantastic <$50 wines that you can’t fine here in the U.S. It just takes an open mind, a little research, and a brief conversation with the waiter/somm.

3. Calling French wines “tasteless watery stagnant” is laughable.

Cheers to that

In Europe, restaurant prices are often close to retail, actually. But perhaps not in the Paris steakhouse where Alan ate.

I agree it may seem that way, because some know where and how to buy wine! But we have to make a 3x mark-up for tax reasons: if the inspector sees less than 3 in the books, he suspects fraud; likewise if it’s over 3 - both lead to closer scrutiny! Another reason for regional preference - costs are lower.
This is why in the past, when EP made sense, one could find incredible Bordeaux bargains in restaurants. Sadly, not any more.
Off track here, but since I know you like Loire reds, if you ever plan a trip to the Loire, I’ll give you the name of a wonderful restaurant (for the wine, not the food) where you can find the most extraordinary cellar anywhere with very old wines sold by the glass.

M90BO-KFyQk

Thanks! I’ll remember that.

And I think the best thing that could happen to this thread would be if it went off track.

I’m guessing he didn’t like it but can’t be sure because there was no rating. No stars or scores.

What is a sycophantic price?

To achieve the true pinnacle of berserkerdom, you must strive to eliminate any trace of self-awareness.

That’s so much off base one wonders of the mold issue is really just a phenomenon in your friends cellar or more wide spread [tease.gif]

Perhaps Alan was traveling with Bubba Watson.

A few things to add

I was the only non French person present, i did not pick the wines.

Mark up outside Paris appeared to be 2-3 times, inside Paris 3-5 times, bad on wine, really bad on whiskey. Any malt thats sells here for $50 ish a bottle was €20 a shot in Paris.

For the most part the food was excellent, i was genuinely surprised how bad the wines were.

Mike,
That’s a really funny read. Thanks for posting it!
Cheers,
Warren

The irony of the posts noting the OP sounds like an “ugly Murican” is that he’s actually Welsh (aka the infamous Welshturd from the WS forums).

Please do carry on with the rightfully deserved skewering!!!

Stick with a pitcher of berry smoothie next time. Sounds like you would have been happier.

If the OP wasn’t a troll, I’d engage. I’ll leave it at — you haven’t spent much time in France.

The irony of the posts noting the OP sounds like an “ugly Murican” is that he’s actually Welsh (aka the infamous Welshturd from the WS forums).

Ah, hence the dragon!

Alan, can you provide the names of some of the restaurants you visited? Not doubting your experience, but it might be no different than someone visiting the states and eating at a decent U.S. restaurant, only to find a subpar overpriced wine list.

Not to worry Scott; others have that covered

The best Parisian travel advice I was ever given: bring half as many clothes, and twice as much money.

Sorry that you didn’t enjoy the place. I still find the humblest Beaujolais sipped in a cafe there to be a wondrous experience.

If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

My thought exactly. Somehow managed to one up the OP.

It is amazing how lucky we are to be wine lovers in the US. Maybe especially the west coast. You have the best of everything to choose from, locally and internationally. Though restaurant lists aren’t usually the best place to experience that.