wine.com delivery fail

Just got the same, probably went out to all customers. Still need to get through to them though re the order that shipped prematurely.

I have 10 orders set for late October shipping. I’ve been hoping to avoid this mess but got an email today that one box shipped today. Why on Friday?! Interestingly it’s a replacement box from midsummer which missed a prime shipping window and sat in 90 degrees because of a fed ex screw up. They handled a replacement great and set it up for my October shipment. Now it’s on the way, at least it’s coming out of Berkeley CA which seems to be mid 60’s right now?

Guess we all got the we eff’d up email from wine.com. Hope they can make this right for everyone and stop shipping wine that was on hold for everyone else.

If the wines shipped inadvertently are returned, will wine.com be re-selling them?

I would certainly hope not. I can’t speak for their company. I believe when the wineries have this happen they hand those bottles off to staff to drink.

Waiting for Wine.com to respond, especially because the wines which WB’s buy tend to be more collectible and expensive.

I don’t know how it works at wine.com, but if not then certainly for some sold-out wines it may be hard/impossible for them to provide replacements. I’m always suspicious when this happens, and I rarely work with that retailer again unless I have a long-standing relationship and many other transactions have been flawless.

While wine.com did respond to the double charging on futures, I didn’t see anything mentioned about ignoring scheduled ship dates and shipping in that heat. Many more complaints on this board over that topic than the other.

That is why I did a cross-thread bump. newhere

The charges from today align with my futures purchases and I received the same email as everyone else. The charges from August 30th do not align with any previous purchases or outstanding orders. Those were more suspicious. The charges from today was the tipping point.

Edit: I see a wine.com representative posted in the other thread. They mentioned no data breach which I am inclined to believe. But this is not an excuse for poor customer service, terrible summer shipping errors and a troublesome rollout of new software. Hoping for improvements soon. Cheers!

Just had a $200 bottle that was purchased with November ship date and was shipped 9/5 and got delivered 9/9 in the middle of Texas. 4 day transit from Houston warehouse to Dallas.

Ship it back for refund. What was the specific wine?
Wine.com should answer if possible resale on its site…or to another wine merchant.

I went by the offsite locker today and there were probably 50-60 wine.com boxes in the receivables holding area. We’ve had some cooler days this week, but it was 100+ before that. Not going to be good…

OMGDFG! That is just ONE local facility. Think about the national impact. Unwitting Wine.com customers will get screwed.

The merchant needs to answer. It needs to recall damaged shipments and not re-sell them.

They shouldn’t waste the resources taking them back, especially since they can’t (shouldn’t) resell them. Just let the consumer decide what to do with the free gift and send the agreed upon bottle on the agreed future upon date; if the wine is no longer available, issue a refund. It sucks for whoever has to bear the loss, but I think this is a clear solution.

Wow. I am sorry to learn this is a widespread issue, and hope they have the insurance or something to pull through. I think a reasonable solution is to offer a refund or a disocunt to keep the wine. I’d be tempted to gamble on my bottle at a big enough discount, as it is not replacable on the secondary market.

Folks need to calm down a bit. I order wine all the time from these guys. I acknowledge it is a problem if you asked for a hold and was shipped wine. But to think that every wine.com box you see in the offsite was erroneously shipped is an over reach. I order wine in the middle of summer and have it shipped to my offsite all the time. No they are not $400 bottles of bordeaux, they are $30 bottles of rose or rioja. I also have had wines from other retailers shipped to the house in midsummer when it was 100F outside and the wines arrived still cool to the touch. So I dont think the wine world just ended here…

If I were them Id let you keep an inexpensive bottle but ask you to ship an expensive one back. to let you keep an expensive one creates a situation where folks may not be honest about the arrangement and take advantage of it

I think everyone will be fine with whatever solution is proposed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-31/wine-com-seeks-funding-at-a-valuation-of-more-than-1-billion

Sorry. I could be very wrong, but I doubt that many folks are shipping bottles of inexpensive rose or rioja to their offsite storage in Dallas or anywhere. Bottom line, no wines should be shipped during summer months unless the recipient is willing to take the risk.

It seems like it may be a system issue, but it’s hard not to think about an insurance claim for all of the top tier wines with the bloomberg article. Strange scenario regardless. Why roll out a new system at the end of summer where shipping previous package holds is a possibility? Very strange.

My bottles were not delivered today and were attempted for delivery after business hours. They will sit on the truck over the weekend and may be delivered on Monday. Who knows and who cares at this point. At least it will be decent temperatures tomorrow.

James