William Kelley 2020 Burgundy vintage report

heh, yes indeed, when?

My grandson’s wedding (he’s seven years old)? My son’s retirement dinner (he’s 35)?

If you actually think Screagle or any of the other mailing lists are legit, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Curious why Screagle or “other” mailing lists are not legit? Genuine question. Haven’t heard this before but, newhere

1 Like

An assorted case 2020 of a well-regarded producer (mentioned in the ‘rising stars’ topic) went up 25% vs 2019 in direct purchase. Top wine went up 45%… Village wine more or less stable.

Just one data point.

Yeah, I also don’t know what this is about.

I’m just talking about the waiting list. You can be sure there’s people with connections who jump the line and a random person who signs up today has zero chance to see an allocation basically ever unless something changes. So it’s really only an open list in theory.

Friends,

Talking bout W KELLEY I repeat : if he were given the space in WA to write more about Burgundy (say following Coate’s steps : 3year on tasting, 10 year on) I would surely subscribe. Now I only read the annual report on the upcoming vintage (a friend of mine J DE CLERCQ is a subscriber). Love WK’s insights and his writing.
SINCERELY JOHAN

This couldn’t be more true, I have personally gotten people on the list without waiting at all but I can’t get on the list myself!

I know this started as WK’s report thread, but thought I’d pass along that Jasper is hosting an online (usually uploaded to Youtube afterwards) on the 2020’s including pricing thoughts on the 17th vis his JMIB site.
In my mind he seems to have the best “pulse” of what is happening there.

He’s already reviewed a good chunk of the 20’s on his site as well.

Other than Screagle, with respect to which I have no opinion, I think that your response is the inaccurate whining of a disappointed person without an allocation. On January 1, 2006, I watched football games and spent the day signing up for a zillion waiting lists just for fun that I had not already put my name on so that I would have a long term option to buy the wine when my name came up. I think I had already signed up for Harlan, Screagle and a few others by that point. In the intervening 16 years, I have made my way to the top of every list I signed up for except for Screagle, and I think the longest wait was about 6 or 7 years for SQN. I have already dropped many of the ones I got on and a few - like Harlan - I did not buy when I finally got an offer because the price had gotten silly. Not only that, but many of the wineries have gone full circle and they now send me emails to buy wine from lists I dropped long ago because their waiting lists have apparently evaporated.

I don’t understand the concept of space. This is 2022. I get the WA through the website and not as a hard copy. I find a lot of writings by William Kelley.

Another sharp analysis of the vintage and its pricing : https://fake-booze.com/news/trade-risk-covid-for-burgundy/

1 Like

Jay, I think you misunderstood. I was responding to a complaint regarding the misconception that DRC is a secret club and US mailing lists are open. Everywhere in life it’s about who you know. Simply the way the world works.

Just got my first offer for 2020 Bouchard. After 30-50% increase for 2019, 2020 is up another 25%. Fun times…

His deployification of complexify is outstandingness made more realish than I could imaginate.

All perfectly cromulent words.

Are people still buying Screaming Eagle these days? I had signed up for that and several other cult can lists in the early days, but found myself just flipping them all to buy Burgundy, and it became tiresome so I dropped them all. Since I don’t drink Cab, it was an easy call. When I dropped off SE years ago, the price had climbed to $750 per bottle, not sure what the release price is now. So, again, not trying to be a smart aleck, but just wondering…are wine drinkers (such as WB board members), as opposed to well-to-do trophy hunters (though I personally would not consider SE a “trophy”) actually paying what might be $1000 per bottle or more for a CA cab?

**So, again, not trying to be a smart aleck, but just wondering…are wine drinkers (such as WB board members), as opposed to well-to-do trophy hunters (though I personally would not consider SE a “trophy”) actually paying what might be $1000 per bottle or more for a CA cab?

Hmmm…nice question - but you seem to answer it yourself !!

Here is your other line …in this post :

(((… found myself just flipping them all to buy Burgundy. ))