Wild Chanterelles - any fav recipes?

Neely Wine’s forested areas often pop up wild chanterelles in the springtime. A walk this morning to see what was happening with the headwaters of Sausal Creek after the storm yielded me ….

….6 big beautiful fresh wild chanterelles

Any recipes (& wine pairings) you’d suggest? (Otherwise, we’ll be winging it with pappardelle, herbs, butter, lemon, Parma…etc)

1 Like

I personally prefer them sauteed in butter with shallot and some fresh thyme – as hot as you can go without burning the butter and/or shallots. Lightly salted after a minute or two. Turn down heat a bit, and continue to cook until they release their juice. Pull them from pan, and pour a bit of white wine into the pan. Aggressive simmer for a couple min. to evaporate alcohol. More salt to taste in the pan sauce. Find small dish. Put mushrooms in. Sauce over. White wine to drink. :yum:

3 Likes

be sure to soak them well in salt water first

Yeah, the way we always did the first fall chanatrelles in Sweden was to sauté in lots of butter and salt, pinch of white pepper then serve on a toast. Nothing is quite as magical as that when done right. But I can see Brian’s recipe with shallots being magical as well. What recipe does not get improved by shallots, I ask? :+1:

1 Like

Why, or to what end? I’ve never heard of this.

Oops, my bad. Was thinking morels

1 Like

For a savory dish, consider sautéing them with garlic, shallots, and thyme, then tossing them with pappardelle pasta, lemon zest, and Parmesan and for the side brown rice ( but read info here about brown rice because as the things move on it is not for everuone ) . For a wine pairing, a crisp Chardonnay or a light Pinot Noir would complement the earthy flavors beautifully.

My two favorites:

1 Like

I copy Industrial Eats but with some spicy sliced red peppers

Besides highlighting them on their own, chanterelles are very versatile, go well with risotto, chicken, pork, salmon, even beef. They love butter, also cream.

-Al

I go Chanterelle hunting every year, quite dependable up here in Oregon, though I was getting pretty good at it in the Bay Area before I left. My favorite is simple chicken breast in a Chanterelle cream sauce. Easy, flexible, and so very tasty.