Why is Rayas so singular?

Totally agree. But how could you forget RC of all vineyards?!

Excuse my ignorance. What Vatan do you refer to?

Edmund Vatan from Sancerre

1 Like

What about the blanc?

Anything you want to know in particular? Grenache Blanc plus Clairette, mainly grown in Le Levant if I’m not mistaken. Since the 1990s, it has been vinified and raised in tank (IIRC enameled steel).

I was going to respond to this, but William said almost all I would have, except for one thing. There are other producers that have similarly sandy vineyards that are cheek by jowl with Rayas. Only Chapelle St. Théodoric seems to me to have some of the same qualities. I love Charvin and I can see why people say that it has similarities but, really, I think it is its own wine and its vineyards, though Northern, are different. I think winemaker practices are as important as vineyards, particularly, since, as others noticed, there is a Reynaud style that one can see even in the des Tours wines. Honestly compels me to say that I have only had a handful of Rayas, mostly due to the kindness of friends. I have, however, visited it once and had a tasting with Jacques Reynaud. He let me in when he found out I taught Zola and we bonded over Germinal.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info. So Rayas is 100% whole cluster but the berries are crushed before fermentation - is that correct?

It would seem to me that the late harvest picking, which is not surprising with Grenache, would be challenging in the cooler mesoclimates that they have, especially if you have extremes in weather.

Cheers.

Never had the white so I was just curious about impressions.

I doubt this premise is true. Is Rayas really more expensive relative to its appellation than Monfortino, Petrus, Romanee-Conti, Coche CC, every Leroy, Screagle, Unico, Keller, Egon Muller, etc. etc. I don’t think so, but if it is (I’m not current on Rayas pricing) it’s a recent thing. It’s true, though, that nobody makes better CdP.

It’s tough to say that no one makes better CdP though - since neither Rayas nor Pignan are ‘traditional’ in any way. They are 'singular in their make up and expression, but oh so different than all others. Tough to compare with wines like Beaucastel . . .

With Rayas I think the answer is pretty simple- it is a combination of both a very pure expression of site and an approach to winemaking that yields a very sexy result. It is a wine that both a total terroir nerd and a total newbie will find breathtaking.

Larry, why do you say that?

100% Grenache?

New release appears to go for around $1500. Seems to me that the price has doubled these last couple years. I paid less than half of that for a 2008 about two years ago.

1 Like

I said Rayas would go over $1000 a bottle in USA. Many doubted it. Bought few for $380 back then. Wish I bought everything I could find.

2 Likes

Exactly - when someone says ‘traditional CdP’, I’m assuming that they are talking about a traditional blend dominated with Grenache but with Syrah, Mourvedre and maybe a few other things.

Cheers

Lots of CNDP are 100% Grenache, though I am not sure why that is traditional, or not. And Rayas dates back to 1880. Isn’t that far back enough to be traditional?

1 Like

Jeff,

Big picture here - when someone says ‘CdP’, one normally does think 100% Grenache. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand?

Cheers

Then why’d you say you stopped buying years ago? :stuck_out_tongue:

Traditional and 100% Grenache are not related IMO… And as Rayas dates back to 1880 or so, that should qualify as traditional.