Why Doesn't Riedel Have A Dedicated Glass For Nebbiolo?

You losers buy off the shelf glasses? Weird. I have hand blown glasses, with unique shapes for each of the scientifically differentiated 34 different vinous aromatic profiles commonly available. Plus custom stems molded to the comfortable ‘holding pattern’ of my right and my left hand (yes two complete sets). I thought everyone had this.

Rich, you’re a lightweight. I have a furnace and a glass blower on staff that crafts a specific glass for each bottle at the time I open it. This requires some advanced planning as the process takes about 2 weeks to get it just right. The Coravin has solved the problem of the wine changing during the process. I’m still working on the issue of there being no wine left by the time we get the perfect shape.

Reflections from the past: What Is Your Go To Glass For Nebbiolo? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Damn, never thought of this. Indeed how large is your staff (of wine consumption related assistants)?

I’m working on having my tongue and olfactory system mapped out to create a special form that directs the proper aromas to the proper synapses and directs the wine to the appropriate taste bud.

It’s something I wanted to discuss with John when we meet in Chicago!

If you’re OK with it, I think our agenda there should also include ways to ensure that our wines go as directly as possible to the prefrontal cortex. I heard once that if you hold your nose over one of those aerators that quickly age wine and sniff, the wine has a direct path to your neurons. (Come to think of it, that could explain some tasting notes I’ve read…)

My concern would be prematurely aging your brain while sniffing though one of those aging devices!

I agree. Times when the only thing practical is a solo cup and it works quite well in a pinch wiith good wine!

Mine are a little better. They are self righting so even if you fall or pass out they always land sunny side up! Weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down!

well, aren’t you a swell fellow.

I can bring a syringe and a long needle and a copy of my old neuroanatomy atlas.

Preference for a Pinot Noir glass doesn’t seem to have changed much. It’s what I use.

Maybe they didn’t have the variety-specific Riedel either and went with the cultural default, hence the switch!

Clearly, Mr. Monie is correct and Italy is ripe for the taking!!

What’s awesome is that Riedel made a special glass for Hardy Rodenstock.

Maybe it brings out the flavors of Thomas Jefferson wines better or something…

er price increase
Post #96 Postby J. Singleton » Yesterday, 1:07pm
Unrelated to pricing, I got the chance to meet up with Roy and try the 2016. It was just recently bottled and showed quite well. Pretty red fruit dominate, beautiful concentration of color and balanced texture. What was truly amazing was how the type of glass really affected the nose of the wine. We started with some Riedel Vinum XL Cab glasses and after a little switched to Zalto Bordeaux. The Zalto absolutely muted the wine. Killed it. So poured back into the Riedel and and the red berries came back to life. This was shocking to me as a Zalto lover. Makes me rethink things a little bit.

Obviously this is way too young to be drinking, but it was great to get to try it over a few hours and see it progress and show it’s potential. Should be another winner for Roy.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

You mean the shape of a glass can affect how a wine shows? Who would have thunk it?

Yeah, thanks, I’m aware shape affects how a wine shows. My point was that I’ve not had a poor showing with Zalto prior to this, so my experience was surprising.

Sometimes I wonder if participants here take even a moment to reflect on context before posting. If I had replied in the thread where you posted, I could understand you thinking it was a sarcastic shot at you. But if you’ve read this thread you know the majority of posts are of the mind that the glass is largely irrelevant. So my using your recent experience was to validate that the shape does matter. Perhaps one size fits all (universal glass) is a myth.

No, that’s a very false conclusion. I think Jeb’s example gets at an underlying point. There is no one-size-fits-all glass for any specific wine type. The irony is that’s what you’re asking for. If you really wanted ideal glasses for all the Nebs in your collection, you have to have dozens of different glasses. You wouldn’t be sure which glass was the best fit until you opened a specific wine and did some comparing. Then, as the wine opened, you’d probably have to reassess and switch glasses a few times.

The argument is for some degree of practicality in the face of ridiculous extreme. There is no ideal glass for a specific wine type. There are plenty of counter examples of an unexpected glass working better, and plenty of wines that show nearly as well in any quality glass.

So, let me get this straight: You quoted him from another thread (i.e., out of context), adding a sarcastic comment, and then, when he responds with a sarcastic comment about your missing his original point, you complain that he didn’t take time to study the context in which you dropped it.
[scratch.gif] [head-bang.gif]

With the right glass shape, you can probably eliminate corked flavors from wine!!