Who makes the greatest Sauvignon Blanc?

D4032F30-5917-4D6A-89BB-A31DAF69DA20.jpeg
They’re still fabulous! Grey Stack Cellars now, one of my favorites.

1 Like

Another vote for Vacheron. Am partial to the Chambrates bottling.

The 2006 Didier Dagueneau Pur Sang sampled several years ago also made quite an impression. Louis-Benjamin is still making his mark.

Cheers,
Doug

Dagueneua, Vatan, and Cotat can all be great, though the last two especially take a lot of time. I own but have not yet tried Tement. Von Winning makes some marvelous ones. I have never tried I Block; much of the Cali I have, including Merry Edwards, has not gotten beyond decent. Jim Anderson of Patricia Greene has also made a couple of really nice ones of late, which were very good qpr.

LOVED the 08!!!

1 Like

I don’t know how old Vatan should be, but I heard it’s a wine that shows best with age. I have one single bottle and plan to check in on it sometime in the next year or two.

My vote would go to Didier Dagueneau, not his son, those wines are nice…but they’re lacking some of the magic of his father.

For me, the best at this point in time is Gerard Boulay.

In the US, I would say Massican at the reasonable end, Spottswoode for mid-priced and Eisele at the high end. Would love to try the I Block someday.

Which is quite enough thank you very much.

1 Like

My favorite is Realm Fidelio

I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: Merry Edwards is the Rombauer of Sauvignon Blanc neener

1 Like

I could add a couple more, but these are great choices.

Robert is the most interesting man in the world.

Damnit, if only I could grow a beard like Jorge without looking like a Cuban terrorist! It’s like a thing of beauty.

[cheers.gif]

1 Like

Don’t know the answer, but only two mentions of Styria? I’ve had a few (literally just a few) incredible wines from Sattlerhof & Gross, nothing from Tement yet.

I’ve no idea how many Styrian SBs are offered overseas and I’m probably shooting in my own knee, but the best wines are world class and the classic wines always fine drinkers … so definitely a huge miss if not trying …

Styria and NE Slovenia (I’d probably put them together as a single contiguous region) have great SBs. The issue in the US has been lack of consistent availability or no availability of the wines. Collectively they are unknowns except for someone who might have specifically hunted them down. Mostly in Europe. If they were more widely available, I suspect we would have heard more on this thread.

I’ve personally enjoyed a small number, sporadically, over the years, but I don’t have a sense of overall quality on a producer basis.

My exact issue. So little is offered here and very sporadic. I also admit to having such an affinity to Wachau/ Kremstal/ Kamptal riesling, that my $ directed towards Austria ends up going that way. Saw some SB from the Slovenian side of the Gross family (I believe the brothers have land that straddles the border) offered here earlier this year, but that’s it for ages.

I think you should school us neophytes, as I’ve seen your bottles of Cotat and Vatan…

I concur with the Styrian quality SB sentiment. I’m not a big fan of Sauvignon Blanc, but I’d never refuse a glass (or a bottle) of Styrian SB. Especially Andreas Tscheppe just blows my socks off every single time.

When it comes to Loire, both Cotats and Alexandre Bain are some of my favorite names.

Vatan After that I would have to go with some lovely ones from Chile leading with Casa Marin of San Antonio Valley and the Cotats of Sancerre from France.

only had Vatan few times but loved it every single time i had it

1 Like