Who makes the greatest Sauvignon Blanc?

You know your view on this is purely subjective. And delivered like clockwork. Actually I was surprised it took you so long. Work busy?

Interesting. Haven’t tried as much Thomas-Labaille and those that have didn’t stand out as much to me. I’ll have to seek some more out to give it another whirl.

It could be my own stylistic preferences no doubt.

I don’t know about greatest, but Claude Riffault should be taken seriously.

Very busy, but a meeting got cancelled this morning.

I know it’s subjective. Just having a little fun at the expense of people who like bad wine. :wink: (blend excuses notwithstanding)

For sure, but the whole discussion has a big personal preference component to it. Nothing wrong with that, hard to discuss who makes the best version variety that can be expressed in various styles without bringing in one’s own stylistic preferences.

Merry Edwards Russian River Valley Sauv Blanc is my favorite year in, year out

1 Like

Tement, Gross, Sepp Muster, Erwin Sabathi, Polz, Potzinger, Sattlerhof, Zweytick … all from Styria …
The Bordeaux are usually only 50-80% SB with the rest Semillon etc.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this rec, Jayson. In some years, IMO, his Mont Damnes is glorious! I cannot recall the vintage (2014?) but perhaps my ‘best ever’ bottle of Sancerre (and Sauvugnon Blanc) has been from Thomas-Labaille.

No votes for Screagle? Oh, that would be most expensive Sauvignon Blanc?

I prefer the Merry Edwards to the Mondavi ToKalon IBlock if looking for a heavier SB from CA.

Quick follow-up questions on Vatan, because I hear too often about this wine as the best SB in the world- I need to source some. My questions are more specifically about Vatan, but in general curious about Cotats, Boulay, LaBaille also. Plan to try them all.

Keep in mind that we enjoy CA and NZ SB’s…

1. How much bottle age is generally recommended for a Vatan to start showing well? Do they drink well on release?

2. Why is the 2017 Vatan so much cheaper than the 2016 and others (~$245 vs $370/bottle)?

Just had this for the first time a month ago, really excellent stuff.

I’d add Gamble Family to the list, maybe the top of the list…

Yquem can surely be the greatest wine in the world, or at least among the greatest, but IMO it looks a bit weird that in a thread asking for a producer making the greatest SB, the answer would be “this botrytized Semillon with a little bit of SB in the mix for freshness”. If I want the greatest SB in my hands, I’d say a wine like that really wouldn’t qualify -even if I am a big fan of Yquem and Sauternes.

I wouldn’t rule all the blends out, but it would make more sense if SB would at least play a major role in “the world’s greatest Sauvignon Blanc”.

1 Like

Very interesting!
The same question on a french wineboard would have probably led to Dagueneau, predominantly.
Vatan, 10 years ago was almost unknown to french amateurs. Like Truchot or Gentaz.
US and UK importers did such an amazing job during the 2nd half of the past century!!!

Dagueneau at the top, I Block right there, too.

I am not qualified to answer, drinking very little SB, but two that have stood out in my more formative years were 2007 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Silex and 2007 Dry Stack Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Block, which Loire fans would probably hate : )

Dang I loved those Dry Stacks for a couple years, no idea how I would react now.

I’ve never had what I would call a mature Vatan. The oldest was 10 yrs so not a ton of age, but they age glacially. They are without a doubt an entirely different experience than any SB I’ve ever had. I wouldn’t open a newly released bottle. I have no idea the answer to your second question.

1 Like

My pick goes to Cotat. I absolutely adore I Block…THE best wine Mondavi makes, or ever made, imo…it is a wonderful “white” wine experience with history…but for pure Sauvignon Blanc experience, across the stable, I am always shocked at how good a Cotat(all of them) wine is when I have one. Doesn’t break the bank…and they age very well. I put my money where my mouth is! [wow.gif]

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2021/07/the-worlds-most-expensive-sauvignon-blancs?utm_source=Wine-Searcher&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=04%2F08%2F21&utm_id=newsletter