Who Makes The Best Merlot In California?

I remember Twomey being really good back around '04/'05. Haven’t had it since.

Drank my last 2007 Switchback Merlot this past week…confirmed my opinion that it ranks among the best. My favorite after the 2005.

Original Havens… no question

Had a killer duckhorn 3palms once…think it was the '03

I would still consider Pahlmeyer one of the top Merlots and would also back the aforementioned Switchback Ridge.

Tom

This.

Had it over the Thanksgiving holiday, and it was fantastic.

Fair enough. In 2013, The Tempest was 86% Merlot, enough to label it as Merlot if they wanted to.

Barring that one, i would fall back on the previously mentioned Paloma.

I haven’t had all of those listed but hard to imagine that any of them could be better than the Calluna I opened this weekend. While the 2013 is still a baby it’s just so good already but only going to get better.

I recently had a 2013 Shafer merlot and found it to be completely dominated by vanilla-oak. Perhaps it balances out with some age?

I’ve been buying Realm since 2006 and I like the Tempest too - but I had no idea they were 86% Merlot in 2013 (tells you I buy from the list without reading the tasting notes), as my recollection was it was a Merlot heavy Bdx blend but not really enough Merlot to be called a Merlot. That said, the Tempest is the best Merlot blend I have had (using the more Merlot than other wines as the dividing grape).

On my only visit to Pride they pushed their reserve Merlot on me, told me it tasted like Cab and was only $75. This was a few years back when you could buy a lot of Cab for that price; my response, if I want it to taste like Cab I’d buy a Cab.

I haven’t had the Switchback Merlot and a few others listed here. so I need to look for them. I’ve had the Duckhorn, Shafer and a few others listed. All solid wines. I recall years ago having a Ledson Merlot that was nice.

I guess my problem is Merlot is not a wine I go out of my way to find or buy.

At the top end of the market Blankiet and Kapcsandy as I loved Denis Malbec’s wines. I opened the 2008 Kap Roberta’s Reserve for Christmas dinner. It had about 8 hours of air and 2+ hours decant. One of the best wines I’ve had this year. Still young but in a great spot. I thought it lost a touch of oomph with the extended decant but it was sublime. 96-98 if you’re scoring at home. My family with a few experienced wine drinkers were shocked it was Merlot. A fantastic wine. The 09 is not as good but still a very good wine. I haven’t tried any of 10-13 yet.

cheers

Clos Du Val Merlot’s have been very good for a long lot of years. Almost always lean and elegant.

Priced between $20-$25 with some shopping. At least up to the last vintage I still have - 2012. Was a long time staple for us from New Hampshire Liquor stores. Haven’t seen it there is quite a while. Seeing it for $38 now. That’s a bit steep for me. I’m in if I can find on sale somewhere.

These show best for me at 6-7 years and always with a couple of hour decant to open up. They tend to be thin and unyielding on PNP. More often than not, they begin to blossom after couple of hours open or in the glass.

Was sad when Mia stopped making Selene wines, by far my favorite Cali. merlot.

Really like Enfield’s expression…great pricing too

2017 Pride Mountain Vineyards Merlot - USA, California, North Coast, Napa / Sonoma (12/14/2019)
Sunfish Cellars Napa Valley Extravaganza (Sunfish Cellars/I Nonni Minneapolis, MN): Drinking really well this young. Spice, red currants, plum, floral and earth. Good concentration and medium plus finish. Drink now to 2028. Got a great deal on this at $32.95. They honored the mistake in pricing. (92 points)

Had this at a Sunfish Cellars Tasting and the price list for purchase was $32.99 (a mistake) but they honored it. Great QPR!

+1 Switchback Ridge

We recently had the 2016 Ridge Torre Merlot. 100% Merlot, 13.0% alcohol from the Monte Bello vineyard. Outstanding and highly recommended. We also enjoy Switchback Ridge and Pride.

Ed