Who Makes The Best Merlot In California?

Unless the winery discloses that information you’ll never know.

Correct. That’s why I did not call the thread: “The Petrus Of California”.

The OP just said “best”. To my palate, the best are Ridge and Calluna Aux Reynards. Not mimicking Pomerol. They’re their own thing, but they harken back to France more than some.

Never had Petrus so can’t comment on that.

Bud, this is the only Merlot I buy and I order the 375s. This is a bigger version of CA merlot, done well in that style.

Love Blankiet and Kapcsandy, although the Blankiet RD has a dollop of cab franc so not a pure merlot. Kapcsandy Roberta’s used to have some CF but has been a pure merlot in recent vintages I believe.

Good point. But, to be fair, quite a few wines listed as a single grape have elements of others.

J

I love Kapcsandy Roberta’s and Buccella.
Pott used to make The Oligarch in 2008 and 2009, which was also amazing. Bevan Cellars Alexis Merlot in 2008 was outstanding as well. I hope Pott and Bevan eventually bring back a 100% Merlot.

Matthaisson makes a really good one (Red Hen Vineyard, Napa, Oak Knoll District).

I don’t know by today’s standards, but Tom Rinaldi made the single best Merlot I have ever enjoyed in my short and pathetic life. Provenance Vineyards Merlot Beckstoffer Las Amigas Vineyard.

Tom does crazy good work. Under the radar.

agreed.

would add Blackbird.

LOL.

As others mentioned, 100% becomes a more difficult question because many get a dollop or more of CF or CS yet are, per the rules, merlot label designations.

Good pick up on the Rafanelli!

Duckhorn has been steady good for a long time, too.

Duckhorn 3 Palms was our go to Merlot in 80’s and 90’s. The best I’ve had since then was the Buccella Merlot. On the cheap, Hall Merlot. About half the people who blind taste it think it’s big Cab.

Alex - Grayson Cellars bottles a Merlot that mainly retails for $10-$12 a bottle. It’s a pretty little Merlot that’s juicy and ripe, with a lazer like focus. This winery nails it for all their wines, but the last couple vintages of Merlot have been exceptional for the money. THE bargain label out of California.

Can’t believe Shafer hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Agree with Shafer. Chappellet used to make a good one.

Noah kind of touched on this above… I get that the question is who makes the “best” but it is subjective based on palate preference. Who makes the best fruit forward or modern Cali Merlot? Who makes the best old world/ restrained merlot? That’s what I’d want to know. Though I guess to some extent that can be derived just from knowing a bit about what a given producer’s other wines are like.

I don’t understand why someone wants California wines to taste like French wines.