Who Are Your Top Cornas Producers and Why Do I Keep Buying?

That’s the offer of the year [cheers.gif]

Indeed. Great generosity.

Speaking of Eric’s wines, I know I’ve said this before, but the Pergaud wines hit such a sweet spot for me that they make up a large portion of my N. Rhône wines (roughly 30%). I rarely find better wines from Syrah for my palate.

Full disclosure: I consider Eric a friend and the reason I like his wines might be because we like a lot of the same wines, although he does like Juge a lot more than I do (no one’s perfect). We’ve had many bottles of Verset together over the years.

For Cornas I have
Allemand
Verset
Lionnet
Clape

But not more than a few cases of any of them. I like Gilles, I don’t know why I don’t have any. I also have a bottle of Mikael Bourg ready to try on Zachary’s rec a while back. Looking forward to it.

Dumien-Serrette if you can find it. Tiny estate.

Greg,
That’s exactly what I had. The purity of fruit was stunning.
Cheers,
Warren

Looking back in my records to see how much Cornas I’ve gone through …. I see my first bottle of Juge cost me $8.62, minus case discount. Voge about the same. Clape and Verset I got wholesale from the distributor I was selling for at the time. There was very little demand for this stuff.

My budget matters … so, while I still have a few bottles of Allemand and Clape left, I don’t go there any more. From my current standpoint, in rough order…

Guillaume Gilles
Balthazar
Tunnel
Courbis
Vincent Paris
Johann Michel

Gilles is the only one where I find quality and value so compelling, I buy every vintage. A couple new ones to try after reading this thread though!

A name that has not been mentioned: Matthieu Barret (yes yes, its made in a natty style).

Balthazar is by far my biggest Cornas holding. The Cornas ‘Sans Soufre Ajouté’ can be great young, both 16 and 18 was very nice after release.

And I do not agree on Balthazar’s CDR. It has Grenache in it and is way to heavy. His Crozes-Hermitage with one or two years of bottle age on the other hand is top QPR. The 2018 is drinking very well now.

Clape
Allemand
Paris
Balthazar
Gilles

Would not mind more Voge, Barret, Lionnet, Fauterie and Verset - but one has to prioritize

I think the sans soufre CdR is 100% syrah, and delicious. I’ve never had the Crozes.

Cheers,
Warren

Fair enough. I have never seen the Sans Soufre CDR in my market. Only the “normal” one.

I don’t think it’s made anymore.

I’m holding a bottle of the 18 Les Peyrouses CdR in my hand and it says 100% Syrah on the back label. I’m likely opening it this weekend and can post a note.

Balthazar has a Peyrouses bottle?

That’s what’s listed on my bottle and it’s brought in by Wilson-Daniels, so they likely won’t be mucking about on funny labeling

1 Like

Peyrouses is Guillaume Gilles, no?

Alain Voge produced a 2018 CdR from Peyrouses, only one I’ve heard of except the Gilles. Please post a photo of the label when you can

No prob!

https://m.imgur.com/a/ylbxbv1

That’s Alain Voge not Balthazar…

and that’s why I should probably not post and watch a webinar at the same time

1 Like

[rofl.gif]