Who Are Your Top Cornas Producers and Why Do I Keep Buying?

Jayson I cannot imagine the number of cases of Juge you must have [swoon.gif]

FYI, both the Mon Coeur and the Balthazar CdR are Southern Rhone blends, with grenache, syrah and mourvedre, so naturally more approachable young, and not really comparable to Cornas, St Joseph, Crozes or Hermitage.

Less than you might think. I have about 3.5 cases left total in 750, plus a couple mags. I’m guessing others here have more.

I only know my top #1 in quantity
Allemand reynard

Allemand (by a wide margin)
Verset
Clape
Voge (3)

Thin. Don’t have others.

Wow that is impressive. Jealous!

I don’t have all that much Cornas but Allemand is the easily biggest holding. Would like to have a lot more, of course.

Allemand #1 for me and then about equal amount of juge, Gilles, Balthazar, and cuchet belliando.

1. Clape, #1 by a wide margin, from annual allocations.

2. Alain Voge

3. A&E Verset

4. Vincent Paris

5. Dumien Serrette

6. Thierry Allemand

7. Guillaume Gilles

8. Noel Verset

Yeah, yeah–syrah and CdP were my ‘gateways’ into wine, half of the wines I own are N or S Rhone, spent our honeymoon in the Rhone valley… My point was “if you want a CdR to drink while biding the time, this other notable N. rhone syrah producer makes one that is worth considering alongside Balthazar’s”.

As for Cornas producers: I’m fond of Ferraton’s Patou and Les Eygats bottlings.

A bit of thread drift on CdR above but other than a few specialty wines labeled nominally CdR like Eric Texier’s CdR wines or Dom Ste. Anne when available, I’ve come to not understand ever buying them. Personal choice. Could also be related to what I think about (most) Grenache-dominated French wines….

I tend to agree with you on this. Just not been a fan of Grenache dominated wines in general except for a few CdP.

Maybe the blend has changed. My Balthazar CdR’s were 2011’s, and were 100% Syrah…and fantastic despite the vintage. They were also Sans Soufre. They’re also all gone.

Cheers,
Warren

What the…

As usual, John’s correct. The recent blend is 60:40 Grenache:Syrah. I found this on an importer’s website.
However, this was one of the rare times I was correct too! The 2011 I drank was 100% Syrah! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!

Cheers,
Warren

Cue this thread being bumped in ~15 years when posters start ruminating on the prices of Gilles+Lionnet+Balthazar [cheers.gif]

If there is someone that is a N Rhone freak that wasn’t lucky enough to get Juge while he was around, feel free to drop me a PM.

Be happy to share a bottle.

Would need you to send me a FedEx label, though.

Balthazar is almost there now. Saw a bottle of the 15 Chaillot on a list for 550 last month and chuckled.

Warren, what you drank is now mostly the Sans Soufre bottling.

1 Like

…I just had to pick my jaw up from hitting the floor