Who are the best reviewers for California wine?

Who are the best reviewers of California wines?

I feel like its obligatory to say the one thar most matches your pallette, but curious what others actually think…

1 Like

Max - I like Galloni - his taste most closely matches mine of the reviewers I know, but I wonder about other reviewers who review Pinot, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Zinfandel.

2 Likes

I have found that Jeb Dunnuck matches my palate the best.

4 Likes

Agree on Dunnuck.

Galloni if you don’t love the big fruit forward style, lpb if you do.

Dunnick gives out too many high scores imo.

4 Likes

Board member @dougwilder has quietly been one of the best reviewers of California wine for years.

8 Likes

Tom Hill

1 Like

What’s the difference? Don’t they all taste the same?

1 Like

I will read anyone’s free reviews. I don’t pay attention to the score too much, especially from a prominent producer or winemaker. I do pay attention to what they tasted in the wine. For instance, if you like a balanced wine that’s not too overpowering in any respect, then look for balance in the description. If they say let it sit for a number of years, then I will always do that. They taste so many wines and so fast that I’m really just looking for their initial impressions.

Cellar Tracker

4 Likes

Doug Wilder is very good.

1 Like

I like the reviews on California wines by John Gilman the best, but my guess is that a lot of California wine lovers would not agree.

3 Likes

Don’t know. I have never tasted a California wine reviewer.

2 Likes

But only in the classic view!

^This……

2 Likes

Just curious - what are some things Galloni says that differ from other California reviewers?

1 Like

Agree with that comment

1 Like

If you put the scores to the side, I have found that most experienced reviewers (like all of the main ones mentioned in this post), give tell-tale hints about the wine (fruit, alcohol, body, tannins, acidity, finish) that mean the most to me. For me, my tastes have never matched the ratings of any of these critics all that well. However, the words in their reviews have been very telling relative to what I am going to enjoy. Personally, it took me a long time to figure this out, but is very freeing in some regards.

1 Like