Which wine figure past or present would you have liked to have dinner with?

Sucks when he turns water into Mollydooker.

Henri Jayer assuming he brought the wine for dinner.

Paul Draper

Eh, he had so-so taste in Sauternes. You can do better than Lafaurie (which I’ve always assumed was short for Lafaurie Peyraguey or perhaps there was a name change since the book was written)?

Not a person, but a couple, Jacques and Roz Seysses. He’s a visionary - probably has a lot of great stories too, and she’s a strong woman. I like strong women.

If they weren’t available, Bettino Ricasoli, quite a guy.

Paul B pileon

Maria Teresa Mascarello or maybe Maria Jose Lopez de Heredia. Or maybe Lalou Bize Leroy or Cecile Tremblay. A dinner with all four of them (plus a translator or two) would be fun.

I’ve always wanted to have dinner with Robert Parker.

This all reminds me of something Bruce Springsteen said in an interview, probably in the '70s: “Know the art, not the artist”.

It was apt for him, as he was then a difficult guy to talk to, particularly about his “art”, despite his lively stage personna. And, he had nothing to add about most of his “art”, ie, his songs.

I’ve kept that theme in mind (whenever I was in his presence) and in the presence of of others whose creations I admired.

So, I’m sort of wondering why you’d like to have dinner with most of these people…and what you think you’d learn from them. I guess I find it difficult to imagine what I’d have to say to most of these people…or want to know…or think they’d have to impart. I understand the notion…but…if it’s wine related, I don’t see what I’d get out of such an encounter. Of course, there’s always a chance of some chemistry developing, I guess.

I say this because, like many of you, I’ve encountered many “illuminaries” in the wine world, both celebrated and fairly esoteric, whose wines I liked a lot. I can’t say that I’ve ever really wanted to spend time with most of them…over and above experiencing their wines, it they brought them…any more than most people I’ve met.

I guess I do prefer not to know the “artist”. I think Bruce did have that effect on my thinking…to separate the two, at least.

Serious question…not just cynicism or skepticism about this notion. (Though Orson Welles, who would drink “no wine before its time” and his “it’s time” approach to indulging…might have been very interesting…if he let you get a word in, too.)

Paul Masson

Some great people. But if I wanted to have some serious wine fun…Adam Lee is the guy!!

Would love to get Adam, Brian and Ed in one room.